UKIP watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UKIP watch

#601  Postby jez9999 » Oct 20, 2014 11:00 am

mrjonno wrote:
wtargentina wrote:
mrjonno wrote:Northern Ireland is an exception (and a mess) but my country of origin is the UK , to me nation = citizenship, its defined by internationally representative governments

Who do you support in the six nations rugby?

It's a completely misnamed competition , the UK should have a single team for football and rugby (like it does in the Olympics) Abolishing these regional teams would play a small part in getting rid of the mess we are in at the moment

For once I totally agree with you... which is disconcerting. Maybe I'm thinking incorrectly. :-)
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#602  Postby Strontium Dog » Oct 20, 2014 11:31 am

Briton wrote:I thought your little dig was childish and that was my way of saying so. If you think I've broken the FUA then report it. I see you have put your age on your avatar. Ironically I find that (the avatar) somewhat childish as well.

Oh it was reported, the mods found no issue with it. So I trust I'll now be able to refer to other forum members as pre-teens without attracting sanctions (excuse me while I stitch my sides back up).

I was responding to your unwarranted dig about me not understanding what "share of the vote" is, when even an elementary familiarity with these forums demonstrates my experience and knowledge of politics to be extensive. This, of course, followed your implicit claim that Lib Dem voters are racist.

There was no dig in any of my posts, but even if there was, you don't get to throw the first punch then complain you're involved in a fistfight.

I also fail to see what's childish about an image of a footballer, but I accept that some people have very odd opinions.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#603  Postby mrjonno » Oct 20, 2014 11:55 am

For once I totally agree with you... which is disconcerting. Maybe I'm thinking incorrectly.

I have that problem with you occasionally difference is while I don't like Scottish nationalism I don't like English or British nationalism for that matter. I can just about accept when not liking foreigners for 90 minutes on the football pitch is probably a good release during the rest of the week
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#604  Postby Briton » Oct 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Briton wrote:I thought your little dig was childish and that was my way of saying so. If you think I've broken the FUA then report it. I see you have put your age on your avatar. Ironically I find that (the avatar) somewhat childish as well.

Oh it was reported...

Are you serious? Fucking hell.

Strontium Dog wrote:
I was responding to your unwarranted dig about me not understanding what "share of the vote" is, when even an elementary familiarity with these forums demonstrates my experience and knowledge of politics to be extensive.

Yet you challenged my statement that Labour had increased it's share of the vote by quoting the numbers of votes gained by particular candidates. That didn't suggest extensive knowledge to me.

Strontium Dog wrote:
This, of course, followed your implicit claim that Lib Dem voters are racist.

Nonsense. I made no such claim, implicit or otherwise.

Edit: BTW, they aren't Lib Dem voters, they are UKIP voters.

Strontium Dog wrote:
There was no dig in any of my posts, but even if there was, you don't get to throw the first punch then complain you're involved in a fistfight.

Who's complaining? I just posted a retort to your silly dig; you certainly wont catch me running to the mods over such pettiness.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#605  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I always support Ireland and Italy. The two underdogs.

Ireland an underdog? No more so than Scotland I'd have thought.

Yes you are right very few play rugby in Scotland.

England: 1990988
France: 360847
Ireland: 153080
Italy: 66176 (amazing)
Wales: 50557
Scotland: 38500

Just shows you.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#606  Postby wtargentina » Oct 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Briton wrote:
wtargentina wrote:
mrjonno wrote:Northern Ireland is an exception (and a mess) but my country of origin is the UK , to me nation = citizenship, its defined by internationally representative governments

Who do you support in the six nations rugby?

I support Scotland (although I was born a stone's throw from The Arms Park) but I'm still first and foremost British. Do you support the Lions?

Not since they became a hyped up advert for Sky TV.
wtargentina

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#607  Postby ED209 » Oct 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Briton wrote:...
Strontium Dog wrote:

Who's complaining? I just posted a retort to your silly dig; you certainly wont catch me running to the mods over such pettiness.

Oh, you in a fistfight now though. Shit just got real :rofl:

Anyway back on topic for just a moment, the UK's third political party have shown how relevant they are to urban youth by endorsing a song sung by 80's DJ mike read in a mock-caribbean accent:

Hmm, must be from one of the little islands. Of course some people have to go and spoil everything:

DJ Mike Read defends UKIP Calypso song

Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Mike Read has written a song in support of UKIP, which the party hopes its supporters will propel to number one.

UKIP Calypso, performed with a mock Caribbean accent, sings the praises of UKIP leader Nigel Farage.

But some Twitter uses complained that the track was racist.

Speaking to BBC Radio Berkshire, Read said: "If anyone has taken it the wrong way, many apologies. But it was never meant to be remotely racist."...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29693346
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#608  Postby minininja » Oct 20, 2014 11:47 pm

When we take charge
And the new prime minister is Farage

:ill: That would be a truly horrifying prospect.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#609  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 20, 2014 11:50 pm

I have no idea what he'd do. They have no policies lol.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#610  Postby Ironclad » Nov 21, 2014 7:31 am

BBC NEWS

UKIP has its second elected MP at Westminster after Mark Reckless won the Rochester and Strood by-election.

Mr Reckless received 16,867 votes, 2,920 more than Conservative candidate Kelly Tolhurst's 13,947, with Labour's Naushabah Khan third on 6,713.

The Green Party came fourth, beating the Lib Dems who lost their deposit.

Our saviours have won teh dae :party:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#611  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 21, 2014 7:36 am

May flies and hype.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#612  Postby Briton » Nov 21, 2014 9:05 am

Shocker. I fully expected the Libdems to break the 1% barrier.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#613  Postby surreptitious57 » Nov 21, 2014 9:07 am

Assuming that there are going to be no more by elections between now and the General Election then it shall have to be an unbelieveably tight result if UKIP are going to hold the balance of power. And so they should try not to labour that point too much between now and then. It would be ironic however if a minority Conservative Government ruled with their support so allowing the 2017 referendum to take place which then resulted in it leaving Europe and UKIP no longer with a raison d etre
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#614  Postby Briton » Nov 21, 2014 9:16 am

surreptitious57 wrote:Assuming that there are going to be no more by elections between now and the General Election then it shall have to be an unbelieveably tight result if UKIP are going to hold the balance of power. And so they should try not to labour that point too much between now and then. It would be ironic however if a minority Conservative Government ruled with their support so allowing the 2017 referendum to take place which then resulted in it leaving Europe and UKIP no longer with a raison d etre

The convention is that by-elections are not held in the six months leading up to a GE. Saying that; Farage said he would be happy to break that if there are any more defections.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#615  Postby jez9999 » Nov 21, 2014 1:08 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Assuming that there are going to be no more by elections between now and the General Election then it shall have to be an unbelieveably tight result if UKIP are going to hold the balance of power. And so they should try not to labour that point too much between now and then. It would be ironic however if a minority Conservative Government ruled with their support so allowing the 2017 referendum to take place which then resulted in it leaving Europe and UKIP no longer with a raison d etre

Surely UKIP has expanded beyond merely a single-issue party by now. I'd be disappointed if they disbanded when we got out of the EU. They should stick around as an interesting new force in British domestic politics with generally libertarian policies to keep shaking things up, rather than going back to the extremely tired old situation.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#616  Postby Ironclad » Nov 21, 2014 1:16 pm

I assume UKIP could easily get away with say something like - our policies are the same as Gov Party X, the difference being that we will do the things Party X promises - if ever challenged on their imagined lack of political party wassnames.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#617  Postby jez9999 » Nov 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Ironclad wrote:I assume UKIP could easily get away with say something like - our policies are the same as Gov Party X, the difference being that we will do the things Party X promises - if ever challenged on their imagined lack of political party wassnames.

Unlikely, as they obviously aren't going to claim to emulate the LibDems, they have some policies that are dead against Green policy, and they say the main 2 are the whole problem with today's politics (which they are).
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#618  Postby Briton » Nov 21, 2014 1:40 pm

jez9999 wrote:
Surely UKIP has expanded beyond merely a single-issue party by now. I'd be disappointed if they disbanded when we got out of the EU. They should stick around as an interesting new force in British domestic politics with generally libertarian policies to keep shaking things up, rather than going back to the extremely tired old situation.

...or they could invade Poland.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#619  Postby surreptitious57 » Nov 21, 2014 1:50 pm

jez9999 wrote:
Surely UKIP has expanded beyond merely a single issue party by now

Yes as one of their policies is to leave Europe and the other is to stop immigration
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#620  Postby ED209 » Nov 21, 2014 2:04 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
jez9999 wrote:
Surely UKIP has expanded beyond merely a single issue party by now

Yes as one of their policies is to leave Europe and the other is to stop immigration

That's an unfair oversimplification, they have lots of policies:

1. leave the EU
2. deport the blacks
3. deport the poles
4. public consultation on what to do with the gays (deport to france?)

Well, four anyway :dunno:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs