~*~Unofficial 2016 US Presidential Election Thread~*~

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: ~*~Unofficial 2016 US Presidential Election Thread~*~

#1941  Postby Oldskeptic » May 20, 2016 4:02 am

crank wrote:
Wow, here you decided to try again instead of cowardly slinking away like you did in The Clinton Victory thread. The stupidity of your post was too obvious to even try responding to the shredding? OK, lets take a look at what you've managed to vomit up here.

It's almost all non-responsive and irrelevant, with little to no content I can even respond to. You first give an example of something I know little about and haven't posted anything on that subject. It appears to be some of the whining about accusations of Bills womanizing and whether Hillary has caused damage to women in her defense of Bill. Don't know, this isn't something I've paid attention to. I do know that such talk has been percolating around for a couple of decades now, and not just from the RWingers, unless you call Hitchens a RWinger?

The rest is too incoherent, I can't understand what the hell you're talking about. You're supposed to be defending your statement sort of equating Alex Jones with anti-Hillary people. I can't tell if you're saying that a lot of the issues the tea party and jones have in common with Bernie supporters are somehow extreme? If that's the case, you're too clueless about what's happening in this country. But then you tried to make the case that income inequality wasn't really going on, after I demonstrated how full of shit you were, you again slinked away and didn't respond. And the same goes for cops murdering blacks, that isn't going on either in your reality.

It never ceases to amaze how delusional you people are, stooping to the same pathetic tactics the creationists employ as SOP in futile attempts to make the establishment politics look acceptable. It's clear, no amount of reasoned argument backed up with documented facts will help the lot of you to wake the fuck up.

Crank's name calling and crowing about shredding other peoples' posts is getting a bit old, and more than a bit pathetic. And that he nor Teague addressed the main points of my post is glaring. So, just in case they have trouble with reading comprehension I'll put my points plainly:

a) The far right and the far left get far to emotional over what they consider political opponents. Almost literally frothing at the mouth while spewing personal attacks.

b) The far left sees nothing wrong in repeating lies originating from the far right if it suits their purpose of demonizing who they consider their enemy.

c) The far left at this time as represented by rabid Bernie supporters have no valid criticisms of left leaning centrists like Hillary so they rely almost entirely on character assassination, demonizing, and conspiracy theories to defend their hero.

d) Though loud and demanding neither the far right or the far left has much of any relevance to what is actually going on in the US today, or what the outcome of the election will be.

e) No one other than vocal yet unimportant minorities on the extreme lunatic fringes of the right and left wants, or sees a need for, a revolution towards either direction.

f) Those on the extreme far right will be pitching fits when they don't get what they want and those on the far left are already throwing infantile tantrums because it's clear that they are not going to get their way.

It really beggars belief that the looser in the Democratic primary race and his obsessed fans think that they can hold out to the bitter end and then march into the Democratic convention and demand what they couldn't accomplish in the primary race by winning the fucking thing.

g) Those of Bernie's rabid supporters on this sub-forum are intellectually bankrupt when it comes to criticisms of Hillary's proposals. So, to make up for their deficiencies and make excuses for their candidate/hero they latch on to conspiracy theories and cry foul at every turn of events. Demonizing Hillary while giving their best efforts in attempting to raise their guy to ultra liberal sainthood.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#1942  Postby crank » May 20, 2016 7:37 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
crank wrote:
Wow, here you decided to try again instead of cowardly slinking away like you did in The Clinton Victory thread. The stupidity of your post was too obvious to even try responding to the shredding? OK, lets take a look at what you've managed to vomit up here.

It's almost all non-responsive and irrelevant, with little to no content I can even respond to. You first give an example of something I know little about and haven't posted anything on that subject. It appears to be some of the whining about accusations of Bills womanizing and whether Hillary has caused damage to women in her defense of Bill. Don't know, this isn't something I've paid attention to. I do know that such talk has been percolating around for a couple of decades now, and not just from the RWingers, unless you call Hitchens a RWinger?

The rest is too incoherent, I can't understand what the hell you're talking about. You're supposed to be defending your statement sort of equating Alex Jones with anti-Hillary people. I can't tell if you're saying that a lot of the issues the tea party and jones have in common with Bernie supporters are somehow extreme? If that's the case, you're too clueless about what's happening in this country. But then you tried to make the case that income inequality wasn't really going on, after I demonstrated how full of shit you were, you again slinked away and didn't respond. And the same goes for cops murdering blacks, that isn't going on either in your reality.

It never ceases to amaze how delusional you people are, stooping to the same pathetic tactics the creationists employ as SOP in futile attempts to make the establishment politics look acceptable. It's clear, no amount of reasoned argument backed up with documented facts will help the lot of you to wake the fuck up.

Crank's name calling and crowing about shredding other peoples' posts is getting a bit old, and more than a bit pathetic. And that he nor Teague addressed the main points of my post is glaring. So, just in case they have trouble with reading comprehension I'll put my points plainly:

a) The far right and the far left get far to emotional over what they consider political opponents. Almost literally frothing at the mouth while spewing personal attacks.

b) The far left sees nothing wrong in repeating lies originating from the far right if it suits their purpose of demonizing who they consider their enemy.

c) The far left at this time as represented by rabid Bernie supporters have no valid criticisms of left leaning centrists like Hillary so they rely almost entirely on character assassination, demonizing, and conspiracy theories to defend their hero.

d) Though loud and demanding neither the far right or the far left has much of any relevance to what is actually going on in the US today, or what the outcome of the election will be.

e) No one other than vocal yet unimportant minorities on the extreme lunatic fringes of the right and left wants, or sees a need for, a revolution towards either direction.

f) Those on the extreme far right will be pitching fits when they don't get what they want and those on the far left are already throwing infantile tantrums because it's clear that they are not going to get their way.

It really beggars belief that the looser in the Democratic primary race and his obsessed fans think that they can hold out to the bitter end and then march into the Democratic convention and demand what they couldn't accomplish in the primary race by winning the fucking thing.

g) Those of Bernie's rabid supporters on this sub-forum are intellectually bankrupt when it comes to criticisms of Hillary's proposals. So, to make up for their deficiencies and make excuses for their candidate/hero they latch on to conspiracy theories and cry foul at every turn of events. Demonizing Hillary while giving their best efforts in attempting to raise their guy to ultra liberal sainthood.

What's tiring is your dishonesty and lack of character in just ignoring posts that prove how asinine your posts are.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#1943  Postby Blip » May 20, 2016 9:04 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
All contributors, obviously feelings run high in discussions such as these, but you should dial back the personal comments and stick to the arguments, please.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#1944  Postby Teague » May 20, 2016 10:32 am

willhud9 wrote:Ah, so instead of actually addressing the post you simply walled of text quoted, we get an ad hominem and deflection.

Last time I checked logical fallacies were not rational.

Pot meet kettle.

Are you talking to me?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1945  Postby crank » May 20, 2016 1:26 pm

I've been careful to make it about the posts, or lack thereof. But then I've been chastised for having a penchant for calling posts lies when these posts calling my posts lies. Who has the penchant? How do you address someone whose posts are full of lies but refuses to respond when this is proven?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#1946  Postby GT2211 » May 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Good news for democracy(and Dems).

http://electionlawblog.org/?p=83051

n a 120-page opinion, a federal district court has held that the Ohio legislature’s elimination of “Golden Week,” a week in which Ohio voters could both register to vote and cast an early ballot at the same location, violates both the 14th amendment of the Constitution and section 2 of the Voting Rights Act. This is a big victory for Marc Elias and the Democrats which brought this suit (over much handwringing by some in the voting rights community). Democrats have relied heavily on Golden Week in the past and fought the Ohio Legislature (dominated by Republicans) to keep it. The theories accepted by the trial court are sure to be controversial, and it is not clear how they will fare in the 6th Circuit. However, the Sixth Circuit has among the most pro-voting rights views of both constitutional and voting rights theories (see the discussions around pages 21 and 31 here). The case could well go en banc to the Sixth Circuit, especially because of a potentially likely 4-4 split at the Supreme Court, leaving the Sixth Circuit as likely the last word on the meaning of the Constitution and the Voting Rights Act in the area covered by the Sixth Circuit for this election.

Also another notch in why this election is important. At least one major case on voting rights/restrictions is likely to be heard soon, and possibly more than 1.
gt2211: Making Ratskep Great Again!
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1947  Postby Teague » May 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Published on May 25, 2016

Capitol Hill Democrats are discussing the possible removal of Debbie Wasserman Schultz as DNC Chair due to her bias toward Hillary Clinton. The Bernie Sanders wing of the party is furious with her. Cenk Uygur and Ben Mankiewicz (What The Flick), hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

"Democrats on Capitol Hill are discussing whether Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz should step down as Democratic National Committee (DNC) chairwoman before the party’s national convention in July.

Democrats backing likely presidential nominee Hillary Clinton worry Wasserman Schultz has become too divisive a figure to unify the party in 2016, which they say is crucial to defeating presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump in November.

Wasserman Schultz has had an increasingly acrimonious relationship with the party’s other presidential candidate, Bernie Sanders, and his supporters, who argue she has tilted the scales in Clinton’s favor.

“There have been a lot of meetings over the past 48 hours about what color plate do we deliver Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s head on,” said one pro-Clinton Democratic senator.”*

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/281147-dems-discuss-dropping-wasserman-schultz
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1948  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jun 01, 2016 10:24 pm

The Libertarian Party met over the weekend and selected its nominees: Gary Johnson for President and William Weld for Vice-President. Johnson's most recent occupation was the CEO of a company that produces and sells - and I shit you not - marijuana, both medicinal and recreational. Before that, though, he was the Republican governor of New Mexico. Weld is the former Republican governor of Massachusetts.

The Libertarian ticket will be on the ballot in all 50 states. This may be the third-party option that the #nevertrumpers have been looking for.

Aw, come on guys. You gotta love the fact that a former drug dealer is a serious contender for POTUS. :coffee:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1949  Postby GT2211 » Jun 02, 2016 3:00 am

NamelessFaceless wrote:The Libertarian Party met over the weekend and selected its nominees: Gary Johnson for President and William Weld for Vice-President. Johnson's most recent occupation was the CEO of a company that produces and sells - and I shit you not - marijuana, both medicinal and recreational. Before that, though, he was the Republican governor of New Mexico. Weld is the former Republican governor of Massachusetts.

The Libertarian ticket will be on the ballot in all 50 states. This may be the third-party option that the #nevertrumpers have been looking for.

Aw, come on guys. You gotta love the fact that a former drug dealer is a serious contender for POTUS. :coffee:

I was kinda wondering over the weekend, why don't they just get behind Johnson/Weld? Bill Kristol made that big ordeal about finding a candidate with a real chance, then rolls out some random writer for the NRO that nobody knows or cares about. But if Romney/Kristol and some others threw their weight behind Johnson, they could get some traction.
gt2211: Making Ratskep Great Again!
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1950  Postby laklak » Jun 02, 2016 3:14 am

They got my vote FWIW. I would absolutely love for the Libertarians to throw the election into the House. Just goddamn LOVE It.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1951  Postby Willie71 » Jun 02, 2016 3:53 am

Johnson was at 10% in the last national poll I saw. 17% undecided.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1952  Postby laklak » Jun 02, 2016 4:13 am

15% could throw it into the House if the states fall right. Wallace came very close in 68 with about 14%, a few percentage points in a couple of states would have made the difference. Depends a lot on Bernie supporters. If they don't get behind Hillary then Libertarian social issues might pull them in. 20% would almost certainly do it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1953  Postby Willie71 » Jun 02, 2016 4:19 pm

This is the problem with putting up two of the most disliked candidates in history. People will look at any other option. Even Jill Stein was at 4 or 5% in a recent poll. I think it was New Jersey. Third party candidates rarely poll above a couple percent. People are looking at any other option than the two jack assess propped up.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1954  Postby crank » Jun 02, 2016 8:06 pm

I think it's become more than obvious we need a 'none of the above' option.

[Edited out an apostrophe catastrophe.]
Last edited by crank on Jun 03, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#1955  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jun 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Call the Queen to send a governor general.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1956  Postby Corneel » Jun 02, 2016 9:40 pm

Have Obama call a (unconstitutional) referendum to change the constitution so he can run for a third term (and fourth term, and fifth term). Have him get any and all opponents indicted & arrested on trumped (ha!) up charges (though procedures can be stalled if said opponents are willing to seek medical treatment abroad for whatever reason). Do the same to any civil society figures or politicians that protest this way of acting. Have him postpone the elections, because the voter roll needs to be audited and purged of any false voters, stall with this because it requires cooperation between states and administrations where there is none.

That way he'll go down in history as the US's first true African president.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#1957  Postby Teague » Jun 07, 2016 3:38 pm

The National Media Has Been Instructed By the DNC Not to Count Superdelegates, So Why Have They Refused?

Whatever one thinks of Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the Chair of the Democratic National Committee, we can all agree on one thing: there is no greater authority on the topic of so-called “super-delegates” to the Democratic National Convention (an event Wasserman Schultz runs) than Wasserman Schultz herself.

And Wasserman Schultz has been clear, as evident from the video above, that the national news media must stop tallying and reporting “super-delegates” immediately.

“The way the media is reporting this is incorrect,” Wasserman Schultz told Rachel Maddow of MSNBC on February 20th. “There are not pledged delegates — or ‘super-delegates’ — earned at any of these caucus contests.”

She went on to note that super-delegates are “free to decide [who to vote for] anytime up until July,” and can change their mind at any time — one reason they can’t be reported as being conclusively attached to any particular candidate. “So combining them [the voted-on or ‘earned’ delegates and the super-delegates] at each phase of this contest is not an accurate picture of how this works,” she said.

“It’s really important to report these [super-delegates] in a completely different way,” she added, in the event her repeated admonitions on the topic had been unclear.

Yet the morning after Super Tuesday, CNN ran the inaccurate graphic below as a splash headline at the top of its homepage:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/the-national-media-has-be_b_9364170.html
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1958  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jun 07, 2016 3:56 pm

Having seen how HuffPo tackles science reporting, I find it entertaining to read an article in their publication about incorrect reporting.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1959  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 07, 2016 4:01 pm

No kidding. Any publication that publishes Bill Maher's op-ed pieces on vaccination.... shudder
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1960  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jun 07, 2016 4:06 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:No kidding. Any publication that publishes Bill Maher's op-ed pieces on vaccination.... shudder

:tehe:

HuffPo "expert" = any fuckhead with decent name recognition.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs