Volcanic explosion in Tonga

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Volcanic explosion in Tonga

#1  Postby Macdoc » Jan 15, 2022 12:07 pm

The views from space are crazy.

https://twitter.com/sakakimoana/status/ ... a-60007119

Tsunami hits Tonga after giant volcano eruption
Published17 minutes ago

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60007119
Last edited by Macdoc on Jan 15, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Vocanic explosion in Tonga

#2  Postby newolder » Jan 15, 2022 12:13 pm

GOES GeoColor channel (infrared at night) ~3hr time lapse movie, frame updates every 10 minutes with about 1/2 hour lag. Looks like it'll be a while before it clears out even if there are no further eruptions...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Re: Volcanic explosion in Tonga

#3  Postby Seabass » Jan 15, 2022 7:48 pm

We're getting tsunami warnings on the US west coast...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#4  Postby Seabass » Jan 15, 2022 7:58 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » Jan 15, 2022 8:07 pm

Internet traffic dropped to zero about an hour after the eruption. No contact with Tonga since (+12 hours & counting)...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Hermit » Jan 15, 2022 11:03 pm

More views from space. (Time lapse)

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan C » Jan 16, 2022 12:18 am

It's that visible from space, cripes. I believe we have an Orion on standby pending the local atmospheric conditions calming down, TBC what further assistance will be deployed, press conference in 2 hours.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Macdoc » Jan 16, 2022 6:53 am

Good coverage ...one from a boat and the other from a 1,000 km away where you can hear the bang.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-16/ ... /100759528

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-15/ ... /100759102
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby newolder » Jan 16, 2022 10:16 am

Via UK Met. Office [/url=https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1482605906659622914]tweet[/url]:
Our atmosphere acts as a fluid, like dropping a pebble in a still pond and seeing the ripples.

A UK pressure trace for the past 24 hours shows how our atmosphere continues to see those ripples since the first pressure wave from the Tonga eruption arrived on Saturday evening.

newolder

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby newolder » Jan 16, 2022 11:22 am

Tweeter William Churchill plots cloud to ground lightning strikes from GOES data and associated with the eruption here:
https://twitter.com/ChurchillWx/status/ ... 7466736651

:shock:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby newolder » Jan 16, 2022 7:23 pm

Tweet from the weather service in American Samoa about 1 hour ago
There has been another eruption from the volcano in Tonga.

However, based on the latest information, there is NO TSUNAMI THREAT for American Samoa at this time.
Because this volcano remains active, please stay tuned for further updates.

5:37 PM · Jan 16, 2022·Twitter Web App

My quick scans of the GEO-Sat images show a much smaller plume than the last one but I'll wait and see... :dunno:

ETA:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 16, 2022 9:47 pm

Scott Manley has a nice exposition on this event:

Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby tuco » Jan 16, 2022 9:54 pm

Not on topic, just a cool story, but my first boss was from Tonga and he was the best boss I ever had as he was very good with people. I idealized how I would live there - coconuts, beaches, chill - but I was just dumb and ignorant.
tuco

Print view this post

#14  Postby hackenslash » Jan 16, 2022 9:59 pm

That's a really quite fantastic video. Dude knows his onions.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby felltoearth » Jan 17, 2022 1:57 pm

Pretty sure this is the result of the earth expanding and adding mass. :shifty:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby hackenslash » Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm

I was chatting about this to my SO, and she suggested that some will use the idea of volcanic winter to suggest that setting off a few nukes can have a positive impact on climate change. Of course, there are some issues...

Volcanic winter is short-lived, but the extra carbon in the atmosphere is considerably less so, so the net result will be an increase in warming, albeit by not such a large amount as a naïve estimate might suppose. A nuclear explosion has the added disadvantage of spreading free neutrons into the atmosphere, and we all know what the product is when nitrogen gets bombarded by neutrons, because that's where pretty much all the 14C on the planet comes from.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby scott1328 » Jan 17, 2022 2:36 pm

hackenslash wrote:I was chatting about this to my SO, and she suggested that some will use the idea of volcanic winter to suggest that setting off a few nukes can have a positive impact on climate change. Of course, there are some issues...

Volcanic winter is short-lived, but the extra carbon in the atmosphere is considerably less so, so the net result will be an increase in warming, albeit by not such a large amount as a naïve estimate might suppose. A nuclear explosion has the added disadvantage of spreading free neutrons into the atmosphere, and we all know what the product is when nitrogen gets bombarded by neutrons, because that's where pretty much all the 14C on the planet comes from.

Does this means that when the alien archeologists discover our fallen civilization in the next few thousand years, they will have incorrectly dated our bones because of the excess of C14?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby hackenslash » Jan 17, 2022 2:53 pm

Indeed. :lol:

As a somewhat amusing aside, it should be possible in principle to pinpoint fairly accurately the locations of any bombs dropped, as anomalously young ages for bones should propagate concentrically from the epicentre, with the highest levels of 14C in the bones closest to ground zero.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby scott1328 » Jan 17, 2022 2:57 pm

hackenslash wrote:Indeed. :lol:

As a somewhat amusing aside, it should be possible in principle to pinpoint fairly accurately the locations of any bombs dropped, as anomalously young ages for bones should propagate concentrically from the epicentre, with the highest levels of 14C in the bones closest to ground zero.

And that is why you can't trust radio-carbon dating. Take that atheists!
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 17, 2022 3:37 pm

scott1328 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:Indeed. :lol:

And that is why you can't trust radio-carbon dating. Take that atheists!

As an aside, atomic testing not only screwed up C14 dating post 1945, but also created a market for Low-Background Steel that resulted in the looting of some war graves. Talk about unintended consequences.

Sadly the first confirmed fatality as a result of the tsunami has been announced - Pacific volcano: Body of British woman found in Tonga, says brother (BBC).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs