When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#141  Postby Harmonica » Jun 15, 2010 7:20 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:The facts are clear, Iran does not generally have a historical record of starting wars if we are to look at Post WWII.

...

If we go by historical reference, the chances are more likely that a future major war involving Iran would not be initiated by Iran.

You are forgetting that they have been involved in war. Also, did they not start the war in Afghanistan if they funded the people who attacked WTC?

I salute u for still showing your face in this thread :lol:
User avatar
Harmonica
 
Posts: 151
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#142  Postby Virus » Jun 15, 2010 11:20 pm

David M wrote:
Virus wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:

So a similar policy should have been taken based on american support for the IRA then?


Oh yes the "I know you are but what am I?" argument. The left's favorite. But if you're going to use it, at least pick something the American government actually did.

You thought you'd slip in that little whopper didn't you? Prove the US government funded the IRA.
Rotox Records Youtube Channel.
Electronic, Drum & Bass.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rotoxrecords
Image
Image
User avatar
Virus
 
Posts: 1029
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#143  Postby ianryan1 » Jun 15, 2010 11:29 pm

I'd like an answer to the topic. When's the last time Iran started a war and invaded another country?


A long time ago, they're trying to take us by suprise.
Last edited by ianryan1 on Jun 15, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianryan1
 
Posts: 134

Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#144  Postby Roger Cooke » Jun 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Virus wrote:
David M wrote:
Virus wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:

So a similar policy should have been taken based on american support for the IRA then?


Oh yes the "I know you are but what am I?" argument. The left's favorite. But if you're going to use it, at least pick something the American government actually did.

You thought you'd slip in that little whopper didn't you? Prove the US government funded the IRA.


I'm sure the US government didn't. But a lot of misguided USAians who mistakenly believed they were Irish had an arrogant belief that they should intervene in a situation they didn't begin to understand. They certainly did support the IRA, with large amounts of money. Whether that was grounds for any government-to-government negotiations I don't know. In the context of this discussion, though, it's clear that the US government was not shielding supporters of the IRA. If any of them were caught (I don't know if any ever were), they'd have been prosecuted.
"If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary" -- Mark Twain
User avatar
Roger Cooke
 
Posts: 1096
Age: 76
Male

Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#145  Postby Roger Cooke » Jun 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Roger Cooke wrote:(Yesterday I heard that Afghanistan has enormous mineral wealth. If only Bush had known that, he might have gone after that wealth instead of the oil. Not that it would be morally better to do so, but at least perhaps Afghanistan might be on the way to becoming a real state.)

Hi Roger. They already knew about Afghanistan's mineral wealth decades ago (most mountainous regions are mineral rich). That together with the greed for a gas pipeline, together with imperialistic ambitions & hatred of 'a-rabs', together with the desire to further box-in Russia & China, was what drove them to it. Bin Laden was a handy excuse. By the way here's the correct spelling for "Real Estate" when used by the White House. :naughty2:


I stand corrected. :oops:
"If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary" -- Mark Twain
User avatar
Roger Cooke
 
Posts: 1096
Age: 76
Male

Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#146  Postby sys » Jun 15, 2010 11:49 pm

Virus wrote:
David M wrote:
Virus wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:

So a similar policy should have been taken based on american support for the IRA then?


Oh yes the "I know you are but what am I?" argument. The left's favorite. But if you're going to use it, at least pick something the American government actually did.

You thought you'd slip in that little whopper didn't you? Prove the US government funded the IRA.


He doesn't have to. Here's all the missing parts.
David M wrote:
Virus wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:
Do you have any evidence that Iran funded the terrorists that pulled 9/11?

Btw, the Taliban didn't pull 9/11, Al Qaeda did. The Taliban did not attack the U.S., Al Qaeda did.

Al Qaeda =/ The Taliban


Al-Qaeda were the Taliban's guests. You harbor them, you're responsible for them. The Taliban had to be destroyed.


So a similar policy should have been taken based on american support for the IRA then?


All that needs to be shown is that America harbored members of the IRA.
sys
 
Posts: 450

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#147  Postby rEvolutionist » Jun 16, 2010 12:02 am

Virus wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:
Do you have any evidence that Iran funded the terrorists that pulled 9/11?

Btw, the Taliban didn't pull 9/11, Al Qaeda did. The Taliban did not attack the U.S., Al Qaeda did.

Al Qaeda =/ The Taliban


Al-Qaeda were the Taliban's guests. You harbor them, you're responsible for them. The Taliban had to be destroyed.


Didn't answer the question I see. What a surprise. :think:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
User avatar
rEvolutionist
Banned User
 
Posts: 13678
Male

Country: dystopia
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#148  Postby Virus » Jun 16, 2010 12:10 am

Don't move Andyxx goalposts. He knows what he said. He claimed the US supported the IRA which is ass.
Rotox Records Youtube Channel.
Electronic, Drum & Bass.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rotoxrecords
Image
Image
User avatar
Virus
 
Posts: 1029
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#149  Postby andyx1205 » Jun 16, 2010 12:14 am

Virus wrote:Don't move Andyxx goalposts. He knows what he said. He claimed the US supported the IRA which is ass.


David M made that post, not me.

And what did he say?
David M wrote:So a similar policy should have been taken based on american support for the IRA then?


He didn't claim that the U.S. supported the IRA, he claimed that "americans" supported the IRA.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
User avatar
andyx1205
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Andy
Posts: 6651
Age: 28
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#150  Postby Dr. Kwaltz » Jun 16, 2010 12:24 am

There is a difference between terrorists USA think are OK, like IRA and Israel and terrorists USA don't like, Al-Qaeda, Taliban etc.

One is welcomed and financed and supported, the other ... not so much...
Coworker on food:
We have 4 basic food groups: alcohol, fat, chocolate and caffeine... Get them all in a Mudslide!
Me:
I'm a tea lover - Long Island Ice Tea to be specific.
Dr. Kwaltz
 
Posts: 1364
Age: 61
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#151  Postby rEvolutionist » Jun 16, 2010 1:32 am

andyx1205 wrote:
Virus wrote:Don't move Andyxx goalposts. He knows what he said. He claimed the US supported the IRA which is ass.


David M made that post, not me.

And what did he say?
David M wrote:So a similar policy should have been taken based on american support for the IRA then?


He didn't claim that the U.S. supported the IRA, he claimed that "americans" supported the IRA.


I don't even know why Virus bothers turning up anymore. His posts show a massive fail in the most simple logical principles.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
User avatar
rEvolutionist
Banned User
 
Posts: 13678
Male

Country: dystopia
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#152  Postby Warren Dew » Jun 16, 2010 3:42 am

andyx1205 wrote:Name me the last war that Iran started. So far the last one was in 1946.

You missed a biggie. The current government of Iran started a war in the form of the Iranian revolution in 1979. They attacked the U.S. embassy, which is legally an attack on a foreign country.

The U.S. and Iran have been in a low level war ever since. It's one that was started by Iran, not by the U.S.
User avatar
Warren Dew
 
Posts: 5550
Age: 58
Male

Country: Somerville, MA, USA
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#153  Postby Virus » Jun 16, 2010 4:10 am

andyx1205 wrote:
Virus wrote:Don't move Andyxx goalposts. He knows what he said. He claimed the US supported the IRA which is ass.


David M made that post, not me.


Sorry.
Rotox Records Youtube Channel.
Electronic, Drum & Bass.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rotoxrecords
Image
Image
User avatar
Virus
 
Posts: 1029
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#154  Postby Virus » Jun 16, 2010 4:15 am

andyx1205 wrote:
And what did he say?
David M wrote:So a similar policy should have been taken based on american support for the IRA then?


He didn't claim that the U.S. supported the IRA, he claimed that "americans" supported the IRA.


So the statement is pointless then. There are Americans that fund Hamas. That doesn't mean that "America funds Hamas".
Rotox Records Youtube Channel.
Electronic, Drum & Bass.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rotoxrecords
Image
Image
User avatar
Virus
 
Posts: 1029
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#155  Postby Mayak » Jun 16, 2010 4:20 am

Warren Dew wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:Name me the last war that Iran started. So far the last one was in 1946.

You missed a biggie. The current government of Iran started a war in the form of the Iranian revolution in 1979. They attacked the U.S. embassy, which is legally an attack on a foreign country.

The U.S. and Iran have been in a low level war ever since. It's one that was started by Iran, not by the U.S.


That's his mistake? :lol:

How about thinking that past actions determine future ones? Or not providing any evidence? :smug:
Mayak
 
Posts: 1172

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#156  Postby David M » Jun 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Virus wrote:
David M wrote:
Virus wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:

So a similar policy should have been taken based on american support for the IRA then?


Oh yes the "I know you are but what am I?" argument. The left's favorite. But if you're going to use it, at least pick something the American government actually did.

You thought you'd slip in that little whopper didn't you? Prove the US government funded the IRA.


I did say support, not fund. Do you deny that amercians supported the IRA?

Ted Kennedy > Noraid > PIRA. Thats a member of the US government involved in fundraising with those funds going to terrorists. Thats an incomparably greater indictment than some statements made by the Iranian president to play to his political supporters.
User avatar
David M
 
Posts: 859
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#157  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Jun 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Mayak wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:Name me the last war that Iran started. So far the last one was in 1946.

You missed a biggie. The current government of Iran started a war in the form of the Iranian revolution in 1979. They attacked the U.S. embassy, which is legally an attack on a foreign country.

The U.S. and Iran have been in a low level war ever since. It's one that was started by Iran, not by the U.S.


That's his mistake? :lol:

How about thinking that past actions determine future ones? Or not providing any evidence? :smug:

Of course the CIA's removal of the duly elected Mossadegh and installation of the Dictator the Shah and basing US forces in Iran for 20 years had nothing to do with the 1979 Iranian "revolution" and taking of the US Embassy and 450 hostages. Oh no. :yuk:
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2
 
Name: Sean Rooney
Posts: 10001
Age: 87
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#158  Postby AndreD » Jun 16, 2010 9:27 pm

FACT-MAN-2 wrote:
Mayak wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:Name me the last war that Iran started. So far the last one was in 1946.

You missed a biggie. The current government of Iran started a war in the form of the Iranian revolution in 1979. They attacked the U.S. embassy, which is legally an attack on a foreign country.

The U.S. and Iran have been in a low level war ever since. It's one that was started by Iran, not by the U.S.


That's his mistake? :lol:

How about thinking that past actions determine future ones? Or not providing any evidence? :smug:

Of course the CIA's removal of the duly elected Mossadegh and installation of the Dictator the Shah and basing US forces in Iran for 20 years had nothing to do with the 1979 Iranian "revolution" and taking of the US Embassy and 450 hostages. Oh no. :yuk:


They didn't really 'install' the Shah, he was already there as emperor but just increased his powers to that of an absolute monarch after he kicked Mossadegh out at the behest of MI6/CIA. I really don't know why Mossadegh thought he could actually survive politically after telling the British to fuck off and stripping the Shah of most of his power and wealth - he was just asking to be overthrown or assassinated.
User avatar
AndreD
 
Posts: 1753
Age: 30
Male

Country: Australia
New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#159  Postby Virus » Jun 16, 2010 9:44 pm

David M wrote:
Ted Kennedy > Noraid > PIRA. Thats a member of the US government involved in fundraising with those funds going to terrorists. Thats an incomparably greater indictment than some statements made by the Iranian president to play to his political supporters.


What did he do exactly? Iran is a full state-sponsor of terrorism. They ship boatloads of rockets to them. Not, just one politician going off on his own and giving money to terrorists.
Rotox Records Youtube Channel.
Electronic, Drum & Bass.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rotoxrecords
Image
Image
User avatar
Virus
 
Posts: 1029
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#160  Postby andyx1205 » Jun 17, 2010 2:09 am

AndreD wrote:
FACT-MAN-2 wrote:
Mayak wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:Name me the last war that Iran started. So far the last one was in 1946.

You missed a biggie. The current government of Iran started a war in the form of the Iranian revolution in 1979. They attacked the U.S. embassy, which is legally an attack on a foreign country.

The U.S. and Iran have been in a low level war ever since. It's one that was started by Iran, not by the U.S.


That's his mistake? :lol:

How about thinking that past actions determine future ones? Or not providing any evidence? :smug:

Of course the CIA's removal of the duly elected Mossadegh and installation of the Dictator the Shah and basing US forces in Iran for 20 years had nothing to do with the 1979 Iranian "revolution" and taking of the US Embassy and 450 hostages. Oh no. :yuk:


They didn't really 'install' the Shah, he was already there as emperor but just increased his powers to that of an absolute monarch after he kicked Mossadegh out at the behest of MI6/CIA. I really don't know why Mossadegh thought he could actually survive politically after telling the British to fuck off and stripping the Shah of most of his power and wealth - he was just asking to be overthrown or assassinated.


So if you oppose being a puppet of the West and instead want to work for the people of your country, then you are just asking to be overthrown or assassinated?

Spoken like a typical defender of imperialism and oppression.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
User avatar
andyx1205
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Andy
Posts: 6651
Age: 28
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest