When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#201  Postby Weaver » Dec 30, 2010 6:14 am

I'm only going to address a couple bits here - I think I pretty much agree with everything else you said.

tribalypredisposed wrote:
Invading/attacking Iran for helping our enemies in Iraq or Afghanistan would be comically stupid.
Agree, 100% - it would be an insanely difficult fight at a time when our military is already stretched thin.
First, Iran is on "our" side in Afghanistan..

No, they most certainly are not. They are fighting a proxy war against us in Afghanistan, much as they did in Iraq - the only real difference is that they don't have nearly the influence here that they did there. They are trying to make inroads to supply weapons, explosives, training and suicide bombers; but they are hampered by the tribal societies in Afghanistan and are viewed as distrusted outsiders.

But by no way can they be said to be on "our" side in A-stan. No way in hell.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#202  Postby Peter Brown » Dec 30, 2010 9:48 am

Now that Iranians arm suppliers have been captured what have the Iranian diplomats asked for? It might offer clues as to why they are getting involved.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#203  Postby Weaver » Dec 30, 2010 11:12 am

It should be obvious why they are here - and what Iranian diplomats ask for will likely have little bearing on the matter.

Iran is fighting it's proxy war against us in Afghanistan because tying up US forces here is an awesome guarantee that they will be unavailable to attack Iran. They get a side benefit of gaining experience and knowledge on how to defeat our tactics, techniques, procedures, and equipment - but the primary reason they fight us here is the same as the primary reason they fought us in Iraq - so they wouldn't have to face fighting us in Iran.

Now, I don't really think that there is much risk of us invading Iran anytime soon - or that there was any real chance of it after about 2004-05 or so. But that doesn't - and probably shouldn't - deter Iran from doing everything they can to fight against us, short of employing WMD or some other egregious act which would force an invasion.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Peter Brown » Dec 30, 2010 12:57 pm

It should be, but I do not believe it is.

Like everything associated with the ME there are goals within goals. Supplying arms to some of the Taliban might just be a way to protect the poppy farms and a source of income. Or it might just be a bargaining chip as Iran has a history of doing something to then be willing to stop doing it for a concession elsewhere.

I do not believe the UN would sanction a war in Iran and without that the US will not go in. Even if Palin was Pres, and Coulter, Vice Pres, and Beck a cheerleader all having daily tantrums to go in and exterminate the whole lot of them.

Iran has its own separate religious agenda… Islam, which is basically every nation being Islamic… it’s a god wants the world thing.

You can’t kill the religion so I think the only way to handle it is to land lock ‘em up in whatever place they hold until they reform the religious god wants it all memes and just be nice.

Darn shame we can’t export our Muslim loonies over there so they can actually live the Islamic dream.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#205  Postby tribalypredisposed » Dec 30, 2010 8:43 pm

Okay, so Iran WAS in our side in Afghanistan but they seem for some strange reason to have turned against us once we started calling them evil and threatening them. Weird.

http://americanforeignpolicy.org/iran-a ... fghanistan

I knew I had seen that they were on our side there, guess I was not up to date.
tribalypredisposed

Name: Carmi Turchick

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#206  Postby Weaver » Dec 30, 2010 8:52 pm

More fine work from the Bush Administration ... fucking assholes.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#207  Postby Tortured_Genius » Dec 31, 2010 2:17 am

Weaver wrote:It should be obvious why they are here - and what Iranian diplomats ask for will likely have little bearing on the matter.

Iran is fighting it's proxy war against us in Afghanistan because tying up US forces here is an awesome guarantee that they will be unavailable to attack Iran. They get a side benefit of gaining experience and knowledge on how to defeat our tactics, techniques, procedures, and equipment - but the primary reason they fight us here is the same as the primary reason they fought us in Iraq - so they wouldn't have to face fighting us in Iran.

That has always struck me about Iran's actions. They are generally logical given their situation.

It always amazes me the number of people who don't think to look at a map. Iran is surrounded by actively hostile enemies in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Paranoid, keeping US forces tied up and actively seeking some sort of deterrant to being squashed from 3 ways at once makes perfect sense.

I get the horrible feeling that Bushco were well aware of this, and Iran was quite definitely next on the list. (The total disregard for US service personnel lives, if nothing else, should have landed them in a war crimes court - but it's not going to happen :( )
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#208  Postby Paul1 » Dec 31, 2010 10:07 am

andyx1205 wrote:The facts are clear, Iran does not generally have a historical record of starting wars if we are to look at Post WWII.

The facts are clear, Germany does not generally have a historical record of starting wars if we are to look Post WWII.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#209  Postby GT2211 » Dec 31, 2010 8:34 pm

Weaver

Wouldn't Iran being undermining themselves by supporting the Taliban? And how much evidence do we really have of the link between Iran and the Taliban? I ask because of the link below.

http://www.juancole.com/2010/11/wikilea ... liban.html
gt2211: Making Ratskep Great Again!
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

#210  Postby Clive Durdle » Dec 31, 2010 9:37 pm

This whole thread feels like practice astro -turfing. The limited definition of war for example, that contradicts basic insurgency theory.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#211  Postby Clive Durdle » Dec 31, 2010 9:40 pm

And i note no one has mentioned the use of child soldiers in the iran iraq war.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#212  Postby Nicko » Dec 31, 2010 11:23 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:And i note no one has mentioned the use of child soldiers in the iran iraq war.

No, they haven't. Why, would you like to?
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#213  Postby elaray13 » Jan 23, 2012 4:54 pm

I found: 1855.

Iran (then Persia) invaded Afghanistan, successfully capturing Herat. As a result, the British Empire declared war on Persia in 1856. But I would say that Persia invasion 'started' that war.
elaray13

Name: Els.
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#214  Postby andyx1205 » Jan 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Weaver wrote:More fine work from the Bush Administration ... fucking assholes.

Interestingly Iran almost went to war with the Taliban in the 90s. Surely Iran would be a better ally than Pakistan who uses the Taliban as a proxy for their own agenda.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#215  Postby andyx1205 » Jan 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Paul1 wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:The facts are clear, Iran does not generally have a historical record of starting wars if we are to look at Post WWII.

The facts are clear, Germany does not generally have a historical record of starting wars if we are to look Post WWII.

Much before WW2 actually, like 19th C. Germany was involved in the first 20th C genocide in Namibia, this is long before the Nazis took over, hence Germany had a history of genocide and aggression before the Nazis.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#216  Postby andyx1205 » Jan 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:And i note no one has mentioned the use of child soldiers in the iran iraq war.

Actually James did if you cared to read the thread and I responded by using the example of Soviet crimes against the Nazi invaders, but we wouldn't side with the Nazis would we.

Wow how the hell did this thread get revived? Lol.
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs