When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#1  Postby andyx1205 » Jun 12, 2010 11:40 am

I'd like an answer to the topic. When's the last time Iran started a war and invaded another country?
Last edited by andyx1205 on Jun 12, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man who sees the essence of social and individual reality says what he sees...he is taken to be egocentric, aggressive and vain...[even if] these convictions are acquired by intense experience and thought..." - Erich Fromm
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: When Was The Last Time Iran Started a War?

#2  Postby Matt H » Jun 12, 2010 11:43 am

Well, they are supplying arms and supplies to the Taliban and the terrorists determined to drag Iraq back to the dark ages, so I think that is one example of them being involved in a war.
"The most remarkable people, to me, were those who apparently approved of everything I said but nonetheless wouldn't dream of voting for the Liberal Party. It reminded me of Somalia: they wouldn't vote outside their clan."

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Matt H

Male

Falkland Islands (fk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby andyx1205 » Jun 12, 2010 11:45 am

Matt H wrote:Well, they are supplying arms and supplies to the Taliban and the terrorists determined to drag Iraq back to the dark ages, so I think that is one example of them being involved in a war.

Answer the question. When's the last time Iran started a war and/or invaded a country?
Last edited by andyx1205 on Jun 12, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man who sees the essence of social and individual reality says what he sees...he is taken to be egocentric, aggressive and vain...[even if] these convictions are acquired by intense experience and thought..." - Erich Fromm
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Matt H » Jun 12, 2010 11:46 am

I did. It just wasn't the answer you wanted. If they weren't helping the terrorist dissidents in Iraq, that country would be well on its way to stability and the Americans wouldn't need to be there. They are fighting an on-going war against the West, through their attempts to keep the civil war going in Iraq.
Last edited by Matt H on Jun 12, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The most remarkable people, to me, were those who apparently approved of everything I said but nonetheless wouldn't dream of voting for the Liberal Party. It reminded me of Somalia: they wouldn't vote outside their clan."

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Matt H

Male

Falkland Islands (fk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Jun 12, 2010 11:46 am

Probably as Persians ;) .. but yeah I was looking for "offensive wars" before and concluded there are more likely candidates to start a war than Iran.
Last edited by tuco on Jun 12, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby andyx1205 » Jun 12, 2010 11:47 am

Matt H wrote:I did. It just wasn't the answer you wanted.

This is what you said.

"so I think that is one example of them being involved in a war."

The question isn't about the last time when Iran was involved in a war. The question is: when was the last time Iran started a war? This is a legitimate question.
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Weaver » Jun 12, 2010 11:50 am

It could be argued that they last started a war sometime in 2003-2004, when they began actively attacking US and other Coalition Forces in Iraq, both through direct action and through supplied weapons and training.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby andyx1205 » Jun 12, 2010 11:52 am

Weaver wrote:It could be argued that they last started a war sometime in 2003-2004, when they began actively attacking US and other Coalition Forces in Iraq, both through direct action and through supplied weapons and training.

So they participated in a war that had already been started? Doesn't fit my definition of a country officially starting a war with another country.
Last edited by andyx1205 on Jun 12, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Weaver » Jun 12, 2010 11:55 am

andyx1205 wrote:
Weaver wrote:It could be argued that they last started a war sometime in 2003-2004, when they began actively attacking US and other Coalition Forces in Iraq, both through direct action and through supplied weapons and training.

So they participated in a war that had already been started? Doesn't fit my definition of a country officially starting a war with another country.
Well, I guess that depends on how you warp your definitions to justify your pre-conceived notions of reality.

In the real world, Iran didn't "participate in a war that had already been started" because they were NOT in any way party to that war. Instead, they used the excuse of ongoing conflict nearby to initiate their own war against a variety of parties.

Nice try, though ...
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby tuco » Jun 12, 2010 11:56 am

IMO the point is not who acts as aggressor, starts wars, but in the name of what? seems more important to some. In other words some like to believe, it is ok to start a war if it is for the greater good. In this sense it is then irrelevant if Iran actually invaded anyone and when. An argument based on this will be dismissed swiftly .. Iran denies holocaust, Iran develops nuclear weapons, Iran harbors or finances terrorists, Iran calls for Israel to be whipped out .. nothing one can say or present will convince ether side. It is not rational issue.
tuco

Print view this post

#11  Postby andyx1205 » Jun 12, 2010 11:58 am

The last time Iran started a war by invading another country seems to be in 1946 when they invaded the Republic of Kurdistan.

I think you guys are missing the question.

When was the last time Iran started "a war" by invading/attacking another country?

Name me the last war that Iran started. So far the last one was in 1946.

The facts are clear, Iran does not generally have a historical record of starting wars if we are to look at Post WWII.

The two most recent major wars that Iran has been involved in include the Iran-Iraq War, where Iraq started by invading Iran, and the Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran of 1941 when the Brits and Soviets invaded Iran.

If we go by historical reference, the chances are more likely that a future major war involving Iran would not be initiated by Iran.
Last edited by andyx1205 on Jun 12, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby quill » Jun 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Matt H wrote:Well, they are supplying arms and supplies to the Taliban and the terrorists determined to drag Iraq back to the dark ages, so I think that is one example of them being involved in a war.

The Taliban are Sunni, and Iran is Shiite. They have never cooperated with each other and have always been enemies.
"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite." ~John Kenneth Galbraith
quill

Print view this post

#13  Postby Matt H » Jun 12, 2010 12:10 pm

quill wrote:

The Taliban are Sunni, and Iran is Shiite. They have never cooperated with each other and have always been enemies.

They should be enemies but Iran have chosen to forgo the religious differences and focus on their united cause; hatred of the west. This has been the subject of many journalist investigations now, I'm surprised you don't know about it. The terrorists in Iraq and the Taliban in Afghanistan are financed by elements in Iran, particularly the Revolutionary Guard. Heck, there have been crates of munitions and supplies found in Taliban camps with Iranian markings on them.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Matt H

Male

Falkland Islands (fk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby quill » Jun 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Matt H wrote:
quill wrote:

They should be enemies but Iran have chosen to forgo the religious differences and focus on their united cause; hatred of the west.

Could you please cite specific instances when they have cooperated? All I know is that the Taliban have committed numerous terrorist actions against Iran, including in 1998 when they attacked an Iranian consulate, killing 10 diplomats and intelligence officers.

Matt H. wrote:Heck, there have been crates of munitions and supplies found in Taliban camps with Iranian markings on them.

To be honest, that's not really a credible indication of anything. I'd wager that many of the weapons found in Taliban camps also have American markings on them. And Russian, and Chinese.
"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite." ~John Kenneth Galbraith
quill

Print view this post

#15  Postby Galaxian » Jun 12, 2010 12:55 pm

andyx1205 wrote:
Answer the question. When's the last time Iran started a war and/or invaded a country?

See Andy? They don't want to answer the question, because they KNOW they can't, because it shows them up for the xenophobes that they are. They have an agenda; to expand the empire, whatever it takes; lies, deceit, self-delusion, murder, mayhem, theft, oppression, nationalism, colonialism, imperialism, media manipulation...whatever it takes!. Even the criminal invasion & destruction of Iraq is applauded! :cheers:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment_Sam Nejad

This world of sheeple has no hope .... Nor does it deserve any! -Galaxian
Galaxian
Suspended User

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Galaxian » Jun 12, 2010 1:18 pm

andyx1205 wrote:The last time Iran started a war by invading another country seems to be in 1946 when they invaded the Republic of Kurdistan.

Beg to disagree. It was a re-taking of an area invaded by the Soviet Union during WW2 & half-heartedly handed over by them to the locals. It was settled without much bloodshed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_crisis_of_1946
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Mahabad
So the last war of belligerency by Iran was the invasion of southern Russia in 1826, which it lost badly. :cheers:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment_Sam Nejad

This world of sheeple has no hope .... Nor does it deserve any! -Galaxian
Galaxian
Suspended User

Print view this post

#17  Postby Clayton Forrester » Jun 12, 2010 1:26 pm

I saw a report on MSNBC that Saudi Arabia has granted Israel permission to go through its air space if it launches an attack on Iran.
Clayton Forrester

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Ironclad » Jun 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Did they not attempt to go into Afghanistan, only to be halted when Russia stated, "they will be no Iran tomorrow if you invade"?
I forget the date.
" If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock
Ironclad

Name: Irradiant Troglodyte
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#19  Postby mrjonno » Jun 12, 2010 2:53 pm

I can managed 1823 through its technically not Iran. The modern Iran have supported resistance fighters/insurgencies/terrorists/revolutions all around the middle east just like many other countries including the UK,France, Russia,USA etc

Now what is more interesting is how many democracies or non-theocratic dictatorships to be replaced by religious ones has the West overthrown compared to Iran. Obviously I'm not being fair comparing the West to Iran as the West obviously has a lot more resources to put its puppet governments in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Persian_War_(1826%E2%80%931828)
Immigration policy : Deport anyone who whines about immigrants

There is no problem in British society that can't be solved by locking up Daily Mail writers and readers
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby estrellas » Jun 12, 2010 3:13 pm

So...they INDIRECTLY entered the war that WE (the United States and Britain) started?

If you're going to talk about militaristic countries that are quick on the trigger, it's best to edge around and avert your eyes from the elephant in the room, not mention it outright.
“Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house." - Fran Lebowitz
estrellas

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs