World War III is well and truly underway.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: World War III is well and truly underway.

#21  Postby Mike_L » Aug 29, 2018 1:07 pm

felltoearth wrote:Literally no one is projecting 10 degrees by 2026. Where the fuck do you get this shit?

It's worse than you think! According to this fellow, we've got just weeks left... months at most. (The video was posted in February, so I guess it's months)...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#22  Postby Mike_L » Aug 29, 2018 1:09 pm

zulumoose wrote:I don't believe for a minute (as I am sure very few do) that we only have a few years left.

What I do fear though in the short term, is that one of the avalanche type events takes place, an irreversible and undeniable shift that has a rapid domino effect. I don't imagine this will lead to rapid extinction, but it would devastate economies, make some areas unliveable or at least impossible to invest in which would have the same effect, and make climate concerns a major part of our everyday life.

It should of course be a concern and we should be adapting more than we are, but if it becomes a dominant negative in our lives by force that is a whole different story.

:this: :nod:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby newolder » Aug 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Mike_L wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Literally no one is projecting 10 degrees by 2026. Where the fuck do you get this shit?

It's worse than you think! According to this fellow, we've got just weeks left... months at most. (The video was posted in February, so I guess it's months)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTy-nZmNkuQ

The video was posted as you claim but the words and sentiment are from his batshit crazy blog:
Published on 21 Nov 2017
from Nature Bats Last

He's disproved by us not having "just weeks left" since then. :doh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Is he a god shitter?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#25  Postby rplatell » Aug 29, 2018 2:00 pm

He might just as well be. His track record of making accurate predictions is about as hopeless as that of all the crackpot religious doomsayers who've come before him:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Guy_McPherson

In 2007 McPherson predicted the USA's trucking industry would collapse by 2012 due to peak oil, quickly followed by the interstate highway system.[18]
In 2008 he predicted the end of civilization by 2018 due to peak oil, "If you're alive in a decade, it will be because you've figured out how to forage locally."[19]
In 2012 he predicted that global warming will kill much of humanity by 2020.[20]
In 2016 he predicted that humanity and most lifeforms will be extinct due to global warming by mid-2026.[21]
In 2017 he predicted that global temperatures would be 6 C above baseline in mid 2018 and that Earth would have no atmosphere by the 2050s. [22]
In June 2018 he implied that industrial civilization was about to collapse in September 2018, followed by a 1 degree C immediate additional temperature jump due to the end of reflective aerosol production, which would rapidly somehow end all "complex multicellular organisms' on Earth.
rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#26  Postby rplatell » Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Oh, and from the same link:

In August of 2017 McPherson was accused of sexual harassment by several ex-followers, who claim that his counseling with women often includes sexual advances or abuse.[16] Deep Green Resistance, a radical deep ecology group, was disturbed after finding that he called one woman a "cum-gargling whore", and will no longer work with him.[17]

So yes, he would fit right in with the god shitters!
rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 29, 2018 3:43 pm

So he would. Thanks for the info.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#28  Postby felltoearth » Aug 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Mike_L wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTy-nZmNkuQ

I don’t understand why we need to clutter up a thread with this crap.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby WankStain42 » Aug 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:And you have all that coal?

Word!

Indubitably
WankStain42

Name: Jason Robert Lancaster

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Mike_L » Aug 29, 2018 4:30 pm

As suggested by its title, this thread focuses on the political side of climate change (as opposed to the main thread that quite properly deals with the science thereof).
Yes, McPherson's utterances are crap. While it can be easily dismissed, his is also the sort of nonsense a climate change denier would allude to as "proof" that "it's all nonsense".
It's worth knowing, IMO, that such daftness is out there... so as to be able to counter it.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 29, 2018 4:31 pm

There are some real nutters out there.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Mike_L » Aug 29, 2018 4:33 pm

:nod:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby felltoearth » Aug 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Mike_L wrote:As suggested by its title, this thread focuses on the political side of climate change (as opposed to the main thread that quite properly deals with the science thereof).
Yes, McPherson's utterances are crap. While it can be easily dismissed, his is also the sort of nonsense a climate change denier would allude to as "proof" that "it's all nonsense".
It's worth knowing, IMO, that such daftness is out there... so as to be able to counter it.

Are you talking about the youtube post or the SL Guardian post that started this all? Your first post was thoroughly uncritical. Would have helped if you provided some so you needn’t waste anyone’s time.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Mike_L » Aug 29, 2018 5:19 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Mike_L wrote:As suggested by its title, this thread focuses on the political side of climate change (as opposed to the main thread that quite properly deals with the science thereof).

Are you talking about the youtube post or the SL Guardian post that started this all? Your first post was thoroughly uncritical.

I provided a brief synopsis and quotes that are representative of the article... surely enough for you to decide whether or not you wanted to read more of it at the link.
Would have helped if you provided some so you needn’t waste anyone’s time.

You're not compelled to read what others post. And I have no interest in how you manage your time.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 29, 2018 5:43 pm

So much time is wasted on this forum and we dont have to talk about relationships do we.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#36  Postby willhud9 » Aug 29, 2018 8:03 pm

I understood Mike’s intent with his post:

One of the largest hurdles in combating climate change denial is the sheer amount of clickbait AGW alarmists who incite paranoia and fear by creating fabricated dates of mass societal collapse.

Understanding that kind of ignorance exists gives us rational folk the means to engage in more productive discourse.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby felltoearth » Aug 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Mike characterized the author's outlook as "grim." A rational person would characterize it as non-sense. YMMV.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Alan B » Aug 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Getting back to WWIII...
Indepenent
Scientists find pocket of warm water trapped under Arctic with potential to melt entire ice pack

A warm region of water trapped deep below the surface of the Arctic seas north of Canada has the potential to leave the entire area devoid of ice.
Scientists have discovered warmer water that originated hundreds of miles away has penetrated deep below the ice pack’s surface.
Vast swathes of the polar expanse are changing dramatically every year – with sea ice vanishing far earlier in the season that it used to, and ships beginning to take advantage of the newly ice-free oceans.

“Presently this heat is trapped below the surface layer. Should it be mixed up to the surface, there is enough heat to entirely melt the sea-ice pack that covers this region for most of the year.”

Things are a-changing. I think we have a lot more than '10 years', but...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby aban57 » Aug 29, 2018 10:19 pm

It's so stupid it's not worth countering. Who debunks the annual doomsday bullshit anymore ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Hermit » Aug 29, 2018 11:26 pm

It's a copy of an article that appeared on a blogger's site named Arctic News in March 2017, which is in turn a rehash of Will humans be extinct by 2026? published in September 2016 on the same site.

You can tell by the charts included at Arctic News that the projection is already way off course. For example

In the period between the last cited datapoint in February 2017 and today, 30th August 2018 monthly mean surface temperatures are projected to increase by 1.4°C. I can't find mention of that actually having happened anywhere.

I do not for a minute believe that Sam Carana is "the pseudonym used by a group of climate scientists concerned to avoid too many adverse impacts on their research, careers and funding by declaring themselves publicly but nevertheless committed to making the truth available for those who seek it".

On Facebook he describes himself as "Author of the Climate Plan, prolific poster on climate issues, editor of Arctic-news.blogspot.com ... Manages ArcticNews, ClimatePlan and 2 other Pages"

On Google+ as "Writer, policy developer, blogger and prolific poster at social media such as Blogger, facebook, Twitter, Google, etc. Editor of the Arctic-news blog at http://arctic-news.blogspot.com and author of the Climate Plan at http://arctic-news.blogspot.com/p/climateplan.html"

Until 2012 he also maintained another blog on catastrophic climate change.

Anybody waiting for this theory to be published and favourably peer reviewed in a scientific journal better not hold their breath.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs