Would you support restricting voting/legislative rights...

...to those who pass an intelligence/empathy/responsibility test?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Would you support that?

Yes
20%
Probably
3%
No Eye Deer
3%
Probably Not
14%
No
54%
Other (please state)
6%

Total votes : 35

Re: Would you support restricting voting/legislative rights...

#481  Postby scott1328 » Jun 29, 2018 2:15 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Sorry, did we come up with an actual method yet for testing if someone is wise and/or smart enough to vote? Because unless you can come up with that, everything else is pretty much mindless bullshitting.

Yes, it is KiR thread after all.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#482  Postby surreptitious57 » Jun 29, 2018 8:49 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Why should unwise adults be allowed to vote and not wise 15 year olds

I5 year olds are children and as such should automatically be barred from voting regardless of how wise they may actually be
And unwise [ whatever that means ] adults are allowed to vote providing they are compos mentis and not incarcerated at the time of an election which are standard requirements for voting while lack of wisdom is definitely not and neither should it be
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#483  Postby CarlPierce » Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am

proudfootz wrote:
Keep It Real wrote::googles mook: that's not like Mookie from do the right thing is it....it's a racist term isn't it...oh dear you yanks...oh got the google term....not racist...uh oh racistly stereotyping USAians as repping racist slang....perhaps.....but it does sound like Mookie so maybe you'll let me off this time.

so what's a wonk?

I'm not sure what a 'mook' is meant to be, but another poster called me one. I can only assume it was meant to be an insult.

As for 'wonk' I'm told it has to do with someone who has knowledge ('wonk' is 'know' spelt backwards) about a topic - this came to my attention during the 1st Clinton administration.

Definition of wonk for English Language Learners

: a person who knows a lot about the details of a particular field (such as politics) and often talks a lot about that subject

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wonk

Not in this case meant as an insult to you! :cheers:

Play wizardry 8 (best rpg of all time) and you will find out what a 'mook' is. Right in the opening scene.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#484  Postby CarlPierce » Jun 29, 2018 11:13 am

If only the intelligent/empathetic were allowed to vote we wouldn't have had brexit for a start and i'd expect far more libdem mps.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#485  Postby Fallible » Jun 29, 2018 12:59 pm

:lol:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#486  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 29, 2018 1:37 pm

CarlPierce wrote:
Play wizardry 8 (best rpg of all time) and you will find out what a 'mook' is.

:awesome:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#487  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 23, 2018 3:33 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Sorry, did we come up with an actual method yet for testing if someone is wise and/or smart enough to vote? Because unless you can come up with that, everything else is pretty much mindless bullshitting.

How about a pertinent general knowledge quiz, IQ test and obtaining a certain threshold level of grey matter density in crucial brain areas? That'd be a start.

The analysis of MR images, which focused on areas where meditation-associated differences were seen in earlier studies, found increased gray-matter density in the hippocampus, known to be important for learning and memory, and in structures associated with self-awareness, compassion, and introspection.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2011/01/eight-weeks-to-a-better-brain/
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#488  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Just have an obstacle course and written exam on the way to the entrance to the polling station.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#489  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Keep It Real wrote:

How about a pertinent general knowledge quiz, IQ test and obtaining a certain threshold level of grey matter density in crucial brain areas? That'd be a start.

Do you think people are going to want to pay for testing that's going to deny them the right to vote? How many times are people going to be able to take these tests? What do you think a "pertinent general knowledge quiz" is going to look like, and how are you going to determine how much general knowledge is enough?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#490  Postby Teague » Jul 23, 2018 4:51 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Do you think people are going to want to pay for testing that's going to deny them the right to vote? How many times are people going to be able to take these tests? What do you think a "pertinent general knowledge quiz" is going to look like, and how are you going to determine how much general knowledge is enough?

Don't you first need to be 100% sure that IQ is the best indicator for voting? Surely just an understanding of the policies and issues would be sufficient and match that with not allowing bullshit ads on TV or let politicians get away with lying.

Isn't that the real issue anyway? If all politicians were fact checked and held accountable with a huge fine for each lie they told up to a limit of lies where they're simply expelled from the electoral process, wouldn't that suffice?

It would be a start at least and doesn't require ostracising people.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#491  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 23, 2018 5:01 pm

I agree that an IQ test probably isn't an especially good way to tell if someone's qualified to vote, both in terms of ability and how elitist it would appear. Certainly wouldn't fly in huge swathes of the US, anyway.

If it were possible to determine with certainty that a politician was lying and fine them, that would be great. I think you might find that as difficult as trying to come up with a test to see if someone should be able to vote, though. You'd find out pretty quickly all the different ways around it.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#492  Postby laklak » Jul 24, 2018 3:30 am

Just fine them every time they open their gob.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#493  Postby Thommo » Jul 24, 2018 9:56 am

Who is "them"? And how are you all so sure "them" you are not one of "them"? :ask:

Surely there's an IQ test threshold none of us would pass that would make sure voters were even better informed...
Thommo

Print view this post

#494  Postby Sendraks » Jul 24, 2018 10:03 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:If it were possible to determine with certainty that a politician was lying and fine them, that would be great.

Yup, I'm trying to imagine the inquisitorial process required to ascertain whether a politician had lied or not and the costs attached to it.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#495  Postby aban57 » Jul 24, 2018 10:09 am

Sendraks wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:If it were possible to determine with certainty that a politician was lying and fine them, that would be great.

Yup, I'm trying to imagine the inquisitorial process required to ascertain whether a politician had lied or not and the costs attached to it.

And how to make the difference between someone who tells something wrong on purpose and those who don't.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#496  Postby Sendraks » Jul 24, 2018 10:26 am

aban57 wrote:
And how to make the difference between someone who tells something wrong on purpose and those who don't.

That's largely the inquisitorial process I was envisaging.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#497  Postby BlackBart » Jul 24, 2018 11:07 am

Sendraks wrote:

'Did their lips move?'
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#498  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 24, 2018 11:09 am

Thommo wrote:Who is "them"? And how are you all so sure "them" you are not one of "them"? :ask:

I think he means politicans, you know the old joke: How can you tell a politican is lying? Their lips are moving :tongue:

Surely there's an IQ test threshold none of us would pass that would make sure voters were even better informed...

For sure. Still waiting to see what arbitrary threshold KIR thinks is appropriate.

edit: Damn you, blackbart :lol:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#499  Postby BlackBart » Jul 24, 2018 12:22 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
edit: Damn you, blackbart :lol:

:ninja:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#500  Postby Teague » Jul 24, 2018 4:47 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I agree that an IQ test probably isn't an especially good way to tell if someone's qualified to vote, both in terms of ability and how elitist it would appear. Certainly wouldn't fly in huge swathes of the US, anyway.

If it were possible to determine with certainty that a politician was lying and fine them, that would be great. I think you might find that as difficult as trying to come up with a test to see if someone should be able to vote, though. You'd find out pretty quickly all the different ways around it.

I think you'd quickly tell who was honest and who was lying though. In debates the honest one would have nothing to hide and we can use a recent example where Trump said Mexicans were rapists and other stuff - demonstrably false. I'm not sure how you get around not telling the truth without looking dishonest though. You might do it a couple of times but too many and people would see through it - normal people of course, not the weirdo cultist ones.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs