YouTube Bans InfoWars

Bye Bye Alex Jones ...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#81  Postby Teague » Aug 09, 2018 10:00 am

Papa Smurf wrote:
The minor ones are irrelevant to this discussion I think, it's about the few big ones. I believe this Alex Jones was banned from several of these recently, right? Just because a few companies decided it was the right thing to do. I find that somewhat scary.


WTF? Did you bother to even read the article. You might want to because it gives the reason Jone's was banned and it wasn't the "right thing to do" just like I pointed out in my post above you obvioulsy a) didn't read or b) read it and chose to ignore it as it's not fitting your idiotic narrative right now.
Last edited by Teague on Aug 09, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Teague
 
Posts: 10003

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#82  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2018 10:05 am

Screenshot_20180809-110126_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20180809-110126_Samsung Internet.jpg (601.19 KiB) Viewed 435 times


It was Trent Reznor you industry standard douche.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 41179
Age: 39
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#83  Postby Thommo » Aug 09, 2018 11:05 am

:scratch:
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 24230

Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#84  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2018 11:07 am

Just noticed the date on that. I should really know by now to fact check stuff on Facebook.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 41179
Age: 39
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#85  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Image

It all makes sense now.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 41179
Age: 39
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#86  Postby BlackBart » Aug 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Well, as long as she's still on The One Show I'm not bothered.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Posts: 11264
Age: 56
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#87  Postby felltoearth » Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Animavore wrote:Image

It all makes sense now.

"THEIR COMING FIR US!! THERE COOOOOMMMMMIIINNGGGGGGG!!!!11111!1!1!1"
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 9364
Age: 51

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#88  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Matt_B wrote:While pretty much anyone can run a website,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the problem is that there aren't really any serious competitors to the big social media platforms, and even competition between them is limited because they all do somewhat different things. As such, I don't think they should just be allowed to use the excuse of being private companies who'll only give a platform to people compatible with their values. Much like governments have regulated and sometimes broken up monopolies in the past, there's a case that they should do the same here.

That said, I'd think that Alex Jones crossed a very different line with his recent material in that people were undoubtedly put at serious risk of harm by things that he said. I'd be OK with him having the right to mount a legal challenge to that decision though, and for him to be reinstated rather than just receive compensation if he were to win. I don't think I'd fancy his chances much though.

Try it.

Really. Try it.

You’ll need your server farms, your data centers, your third tier meshed connections to the internet, your software platform...

After you get all of that up and running, now you’re going to accept being told you’ll be hosting Alex now?

I doubt it.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 20340
Age: 55
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#89  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Matt_B wrote:While pretty much anyone can run a website,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the problem is that there aren't really any serious competitors to the big social media platforms, and even competition between them is limited because they all do somewhat different things. As such, I don't think they should just be allowed to use the excuse of being private companies who'll only give a platform to people compatible with their values. Much like governments have regulated and sometimes broken up monopolies in the past, there's a case that they should do the same here.

That said, I'd think that Alex Jones crossed a very different line with his recent material in that people were undoubtedly put at serious risk of harm by things that he said. I'd be OK with him having the right to mount a legal challenge to that decision though, and for him to be reinstated rather than just receive compensation if he were to win. I don't think I'd fancy his chances much though.

Try it.

Really. Try it.

You’ll need your server farms, your data centers, your third tier meshed connections to the internet, your software platform...

After you get all of that up and running, now you’re going to accept being told you’ll be hosting Alex now?

I doubt it.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 20340
Age: 55
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#90  Postby aban57 » Aug 09, 2018 4:34 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Animavore wrote:Image

It all makes sense now.

"THEIR COMING FIR US!! THERE COOOOOMMMMMIIINNGGGGGGG!!!!11111!1!1!1"


I think this theory makes more sense actually.

Conspiracy theorists have dismissed US talk radio host Alex Jones as a government stooge designed to make conspiracy theorists look ridiculous.

Jones used his appearance on Andrew Neil’s Politics Show to make shouty conspiracy theorists appear mentally ill in front of an audience of millions.
User avatar
aban57
 
Name: Cédric
Posts: 5682
Age: 39

Country: France
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#91  Postby felltoearth » Aug 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Lol
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 9364
Age: 51

Canada (ca)
Print view this post


Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#93  Postby Matt_B » Aug 10, 2018 5:32 am

The_Metatron wrote:
Matt_B wrote:While pretty much anyone can run a website,


Try it.

Really. Try it.

You’ll need your server farms, your data centers, your third tier meshed connections to the internet, your software platform...

After you get all of that up and running, now you’re going to accept being told you’ll be hosting Alex now?

I doubt it.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro


I've more than tried it. I've been running websites for over twenty years.

And I'm not really sure what your point is, either. Alex Jones already has a website, at www.infowars.com, and I'd presume that rather than make it all himself he just hires the back-end infrastructure and uses off-the-shelf software. There's nobody with a monopoly on such services either, so he could easily jump ship to someone else if his current providers wanted rid of him.

The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing. Also, when multiple social media platforms can get together and do it at the same time for entirely arbitrary reasons, you can't even go somewhere else and do something different; that's rather a lot of power concentrated in a few boardrooms.

While, in the case of Alex Jones, it's no great loss to humanity I'd be a little concerned that they could potentially do it to someone else rather more worthy. That's all, really.
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4187
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#94  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 10, 2018 6:14 am

Matt_B wrote:
While, in the case of Alex Jones, it's no great loss to humanity I'd be a little concerned that they could potentially do it to someone else rather more worthy. That's all, really.


That's all going to depend on whether you think these companies are providing essential services or that there is some entitlement in effect, or that the internet should have led to a pluralistic society. We've had discussions in the past of approaches to circumventing the problem and placing content on distributed systems, but you'll complain that no one can get famous enough doing that. Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing, Matt. Resentment of individuals or organizations someone thinks have become "too powerful" is reflexive around here.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Ivar Poäng
Posts: 26442
Age: 7
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#95  Postby Fallible » Aug 10, 2018 7:14 am

Do you think you could set yourself the goal of one day a year not indulging in meta-discussion?
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 46879
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#96  Postby GrahamH » Aug 10, 2018 9:15 am

Matt_B wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Matt_B wrote:While pretty much anyone can run a website,


Try it.

Really. Try it.

You’ll need your server farms, your data centers, your third tier meshed connections to the internet, your software platform...

After you get all of that up and running, now you’re going to accept being told you’ll be hosting Alex now?

I doubt it.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro


I've more than tried it. I've been running websites for over twenty years.

And I'm not really sure what your point is, either...

The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing.


There you go, you do see what the point was. Anyone can "run a website" but it's a very rare thing to create a social media giant. infowars.com is insignificant in itself.
Even if you have the resources I very much doubt you could create a new YouTube tomorrow to provide Alex Jones with the same exposure he had yesterday.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH
 
Posts: 18455

Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#97  Postby Teague » Aug 10, 2018 9:22 am

Matt_B wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Matt_B wrote:While pretty much anyone can run a website,


Try it.

Really. Try it.

You’ll need your server farms, your data centers, your third tier meshed connections to the internet, your software platform...

After you get all of that up and running, now you’re going to accept being told you’ll be hosting Alex now?

I doubt it.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro


I've more than tried it. I've been running websites for over twenty years.

And I'm not really sure what your point is, either. Alex Jones already has a website, at http://www.infowars.com, and I'd presume that rather than make it all himself he just hires the back-end infrastructure and uses off-the-shelf software. There's nobody with a monopoly on such services either, so he could easily jump ship to someone else if his current providers wanted rid of him.

The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing. Also, when multiple social media platforms can get together and do it at the same time for entirely arbitrary reasons, you can't even go somewhere else and do something different; that's rather a lot of power concentrated in a few boardrooms.

While, in the case of Alex Jones, it's no great loss to humanity I'd be a little concerned that they could potentially do it to someone else rather more worthy. That's all, really.


What "arbitrary" reasons would they be?
User avatar
Teague
 
Posts: 10003

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#98  Postby Matt_B » Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am

GrahamH wrote:
The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing.


There you go, you do see what the point was. Anyone can "run a website" but it's a very rare thing to create a social media giant. infowars.com is insignificant in itself.
Even if you have the resources I very much doubt you could create a new YouTube tomorrow to provide Alex Jones with the same exposure he had yesterday.


If that was his point he made it very badly, because he specifically addressed the part of my post about running websites and spoilered the part where I was talking about social media giants being effective monopolies.
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4187
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#99  Postby GrahamH » Aug 10, 2018 11:25 am

Matt_B wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing.


There you go, you do see what the point was. Anyone can "run a website" but it's a very rare thing to create a social media giant. infowars.com is insignificant in itself.
Even if you have the resources I very much doubt you could create a new YouTube tomorrow to provide Alex Jones with the same exposure he had yesterday.


If that was his point he made it very badly, because he specifically addressed the part of my post about running websites and spoilered the part where I was talking about social media giants being effective monopolies.


Granted it was an odd response, but your reply is all the stranger if you see (which you clearly do) the irrelevance of "run a website" to this topic.

Anyway, I don't think there is any disagreement that bans from major social media sites limit the reach of extremists like Jones and they have limited alternatives.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH
 
Posts: 18455

Print view this post

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#100  Postby Matt_B » Aug 10, 2018 11:40 am

Teague wrote:
Matt_B wrote:The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing. Also, when multiple social media platforms can get together and do it at the same time for entirely arbitrary reasons, you can't even go somewhere else and do something different; that's rather a lot of power concentrated in a few boardrooms.


What "arbitrary" reasons would they be?


They're whatever the platform owners want them to be. They get to set the rules, interpret them, decide appropriate sanctions and have all the discussions behind closed doors. Even if the results are ultimately the same, and in the case of Alex Jones I'd fully agree with their stated reasons for banning him, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more transparency and accountability to the process.
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4187
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest