YouTube Bans InfoWars

Bye Bye Alex Jones ...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#81  Postby Teague » Aug 09, 2018 10:00 am

Papa Smurf wrote:
The minor ones are irrelevant to this discussion I think, it's about the few big ones. I believe this Alex Jones was banned from several of these recently, right? Just because a few companies decided it was the right thing to do. I find that somewhat scary.

WTF? Did you bother to even read the article. You might want to because it gives the reason Jone's was banned and it wasn't the "right thing to do" just like I pointed out in my post above you obvioulsy a) didn't read or b) read it and chose to ignore it as it's not fitting your idiotic narrative right now.
Last edited by Teague on Aug 09, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2018 10:05 am

Screenshot_20180809-110126_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20180809-110126_Samsung Internet.jpg (601.19 KiB) Viewed 435 times

It was Trent Reznor you industry standard douche.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Thommo » Aug 09, 2018 11:05 am

:scratch:
Thommo

Print view this post

#84  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2018 11:07 am

Just noticed the date on that. I should really know by now to fact check stuff on Facebook.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2018 1:23 pm

It all makes sense now.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#86  Postby BlackBart » Aug 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Well, as long as she's still on The One Show I'm not bothered.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#87  Postby felltoearth » Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Animavore wrote:Image

It all makes sense now.

"THEIR COMING FIR US!! THERE COOOOOMMMMMIIINNGGGGGGG!!!!11111!1!1!1"
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Matt_B wrote:While pretty much anyone can run a website,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the problem is that there aren't really any serious competitors to the big social media platforms, and even competition between them is limited because they all do somewhat different things. As such, I don't think they should just be allowed to use the excuse of being private companies who'll only give a platform to people compatible with their values. Much like governments have regulated and sometimes broken up monopolies in the past, there's a case that they should do the same here.

That said, I'd think that Alex Jones crossed a very different line with his recent material in that people were undoubtedly put at serious risk of harm by things that he said. I'd be OK with him having the right to mount a legal challenge to that decision though, and for him to be reinstated rather than just receive compensation if he were to win. I don't think I'd fancy his chances much though.

Try it.

Really. Try it.

You’ll need your server farms, your data centers, your third tier meshed connections to the internet, your software platform...

After you get all of that up and running, now you’re going to accept being told you’ll be hosting Alex now?

I doubt it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#89  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 09, 2018 4:13 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the problem is that there aren't really any serious competitors to the big social media platforms, and even competition between them is limited because they all do somewhat different things. As such, I don't think they should just be allowed to use the excuse of being private companies who'll only give a platform to people compatible with their values. Much like governments have regulated and sometimes broken up monopolies in the past, there's a case that they should do the same here.

That said, I'd think that Alex Jones crossed a very different line with his recent material in that people were undoubtedly put at serious risk of harm by things that he said. I'd be OK with him having the right to mount a legal challenge to that decision though, and for him to be reinstated rather than just receive compensation if he were to win. I don't think I'd fancy his chances much though.

Try it.

Really. Try it.

You’ll need your server farms, your data centers, your third tier meshed connections to the internet, your software platform...

After you get all of that up and running, now you’re going to accept being told you’ll be hosting Alex now?

I doubt it.

I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#90  Postby aban57 » Aug 09, 2018 4:34 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Animavore wrote:Image

It all makes sense now.

"THEIR COMING FIR US!! THERE COOOOOMMMMMIIINNGGGGGGG!!!!11111!1!1!1"

I think this theory makes more sense actually.

Conspiracy theorists have dismissed US talk radio host Alex Jones as a government stooge designed to make conspiracy theorists look ridiculous.

Jones used his appearance on Andrew Neil’s Politics Show to make shouty conspiracy theorists appear mentally ill in front of an audience of millions.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#91  Postby felltoearth » Aug 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Lol
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Matt_B » Aug 10, 2018 5:32 am

The_Metatron wrote:

Try it.

Really. Try it.

I doubt it.

I've more than tried it. I've been running websites for over twenty years.

And I'm not really sure what your point is, either. Alex Jones already has a website, at www.infowars.com, and I'd presume that rather than make it all himself he just hires the back-end infrastructure and uses off-the-shelf software. There's nobody with a monopoly on such services either, so he could easily jump ship to someone else if his current providers wanted rid of him.

The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing. Also, when multiple social media platforms can get together and do it at the same time for entirely arbitrary reasons, you can't even go somewhere else and do something different; that's rather a lot of power concentrated in a few boardrooms.

While, in the case of Alex Jones, it's no great loss to humanity I'd be a little concerned that they could potentially do it to someone else rather more worthy. That's all, really.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 10, 2018 6:14 am

Matt_B wrote:
While, in the case of Alex Jones, it's no great loss to humanity I'd be a little concerned that they could potentially do it to someone else rather more worthy. That's all, really.

That's all going to depend on whether you think these companies are providing essential services or that there is some entitlement in effect, or that the internet should have led to a pluralistic society. We've had discussions in the past of approaches to circumventing the problem and placing content on distributed systems, but you'll complain that no one can get famous enough doing that. Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing, Matt. Resentment of individuals or organizations someone thinks have become "too powerful" is reflexive around here.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Fallible » Aug 10, 2018 7:14 am

Do you think you could set yourself the goal of one day a year not indulging in meta-discussion?
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby GrahamH » Aug 10, 2018 9:15 am

Matt_B wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

Try it.

Really. Try it.

I doubt it.

And I'm not really sure what your point is, either...

The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing.

There you go, you do see what the point was. Anyone can "run a website" but it's a very rare thing to create a social media giant. infowars.com is insignificant in itself.
Even if you have the resources I very much doubt you could create a new YouTube tomorrow to provide Alex Jones with the same exposure he had yesterday.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#97  Postby Teague » Aug 10, 2018 9:22 am

Matt_B wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

Try it.

Really. Try it.

I doubt it.

And I'm not really sure what your point is, either. Alex Jones already has a website, at http://www.infowars.com, and I'd presume that rather than make it all himself he just hires the back-end infrastructure and uses off-the-shelf software. There's nobody with a monopoly on such services either, so he could easily jump ship to someone else if his current providers wanted rid of him.

The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing. Also, when multiple social media platforms can get together and do it at the same time for entirely arbitrary reasons, you can't even go somewhere else and do something different; that's rather a lot of power concentrated in a few boardrooms.

What "arbitrary" reasons would they be?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Matt_B » Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am

GrahamH wrote:
The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing.

There you go, you do see what the point was. Anyone can "run a website" but it's a very rare thing to create a social media giant. infowars.com is insignificant in itself.
Even if you have the resources I very much doubt you could create a new YouTube tomorrow to provide Alex Jones with the same exposure he had yesterday.

If that was his point he made it very badly, because he specifically addressed the part of my post about running websites and spoilered the part where I was talking about social media giants being effective monopolies.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#99  Postby GrahamH » Aug 10, 2018 11:25 am

Matt_B wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

If that was his point he made it very badly, because he specifically addressed the part of my post about running websites and spoilered the part where I was talking about social media giants being effective monopolies.

Granted it was an odd response, but your reply is all the stranger if you see (which you clearly do) the irrelevance of "run a website" to this topic.

Anyway, I don't think there is any disagreement that bans from major social media sites limit the reach of extremists like Jones and they have limited alternatives.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#100  Postby Matt_B » Aug 10, 2018 11:40 am

Teague wrote:
Matt_B wrote:The potential problem with the social media giants is entirely down to them being effective monopolies. If you're kicked off, say, Facebook or YouTube, you can't simply go somewhere else because no other platforms offer the same thing. Also, when multiple social media platforms can get together and do it at the same time for entirely arbitrary reasons, you can't even go somewhere else and do something different; that's rather a lot of power concentrated in a few boardrooms.

What "arbitrary" reasons would they be?

They're whatever the platform owners want them to be. They get to set the rules, interpret them, decide appropriate sanctions and have all the discussions behind closed doors. Even if the results are ultimately the same, and in the case of Alex Jones I'd fully agree with their stated reasons for banning him, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more transparency and accountability to the process.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs