YouTube Bans InfoWars

Bye Bye Alex Jones ...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

YouTube Bans InfoWars

#1  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 07, 2018 11:50 am

YouTube has announced that they are enacting a permanent ban on infoWars and Alex Jones, on the basis of violation of hate speech and child endangerment policies. More on this here ...

YouTube on Monday said it had banned Alex Jones’s Infowars channel, following similar actions taken against the controversial right-wing conspiracy theorist by other major U.S. technology companies.

After the channel violated YouTube's policies against child endangerment and hate speech, Jones was banned for trying to circumvent the site's enforcement measures, according to a source familiar with the company’s decision. The source said Jones received a 90-day moratorium on livestreaming for violating its policies and that he then tried to promote his flagship radio show on other YouTube pages, prompting a permanent ban.

“When users violate these policies repeatedly, like our policies against hate speech and harassment or our terms prohibiting circumvention of our enforcement measures, we terminate their accounts,” a YouTube spokesperson said when asked for comment.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: YouTube Bans InfoWars

#2  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Bye bitch.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Teague » Aug 07, 2018 3:26 pm

He's also being sued by the parents of Sandy Hook who moved something like 7 times due to harrasment so hopefully they'll win and this asshole will go bankcrupt.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Aug 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Also banned from Facebook and i-Tunes.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby willhud9 » Aug 07, 2018 5:44 pm

As per usual, I think the result isn’t going to be what was intended.

Alex Jones did not need YouTube, and he still does not. He runs a surprisingly successful radio show that pitches merchandise to find itself. He does it remarkably well despite his trollish personality.

What this ban does do is now restrict those responding to Alex Jones. Most of Alex Jone’s critics used YouTube and Facebook to criticize him. They’d play a clip from his show and respond. That would now be a breach of Youtube’s Ban. That is worrisome and plays more into Alex Jones’s hands then his victims.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong :dunno:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 07, 2018 6:02 pm

willhud9 wrote:As per usual, I think the result isn’t going to be what was intended.

Alex will still be able to post videos on that YT account? Otherwise the goal's been reached, seems to me.

willhud9 wrote:What this ban does do is now restrict those responding to Alex Jones.

False. People can still respond to whatever he produces, they can even do so on YT. AJ can't.

willhud9 wrote: Most of Alex Jone’s critics used YouTube and Facebook to criticize him. They’d play a clip from his show and respond. That would now be a breach of Youtube’s Ban.

They can still quote AJ. Or refer to his videos on other sites.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan C » Aug 07, 2018 7:32 pm

It seems to have been provoked by Apple bumping that fucker off iTunes podcasts, before that Youtube was making it an issue of principle. Followed by Spotify and Facebook. AFAIK Twitter is still the holdout.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby willhud9 » Aug 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
willhud9 wrote:As per usual, I think the result isn’t going to be what was intended.

Alex will still be able to post videos on that YT account? Otherwise the goal's been reached, seems to me.

willhud9 wrote:What this ban does do is now restrict those responding to Alex Jones.

False. People can still respond to whatever he produces, they can even do so on YT. AJ can't.

willhud9 wrote: Most of Alex Jone’s critics used YouTube and Facebook to criticize him. They’d play a clip from his show and respond. That would now be a breach of Youtube’s Ban.

They can still quote AJ. Or refer to his videos on other sites.

Which is antithetical to the entire point of free speech. In the zeal to bar hate speech YouTube, Facebook, and other sites are quick to block any mention of it including direct clips.

Which means the Last Week Tonight clip in which John Oliver scathingly tore Alex Jones a new one is now going against Youtube's terms of service. Clips of Alex Jone's hateful rhetoric are played throughout the video.

Which is quite frankly why the idea of regulating hate speech is ludicrous. The biggest combatant to hate speech is education. Instead of banning Alex Jones, YouTube could simply stop giving monetary compensation on any videos that support the hateful rhetoric and promote videos that speak out against it.

YouTube, i.e. Google, don't want to piss off their predominantly white, male shareholders so this action keeps their PR looking cool, but in actuality does very little, but prevent those who wish to educate people about Alex Jones from doing so in their own format. It is pedantic and does not solve the issue of hate speech.

Alex Jones radio show still thrives with or without Youtube.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Seabass » Aug 08, 2018 12:28 am

willhud9 wrote:Which is antithetical to the entire point of free speech.

These are private companies, not governments, so this is not a free speech issue. They should have banned him a long time ago.

Hey, Torquemada, whaddaya say?
I just got back from the auto-da-fé.
Auto-da-fé, what's an auto-da-fé?
It's what you oughtn't to do but you do anyway...

“In the meantime, rest well and dream of large women.”
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby willhud9 » Aug 08, 2018 12:48 am

Seabass wrote:
willhud9 wrote:Which is antithetical to the entire point of free speech.

These are private companies, not governments, so this is not a free speech issue. They should have banned him a long time ago.

It very much is a free speech issue. The moment YouTube discusses hate speech they are making a statement that hate speech is bad.

Except this does nothing to actually fix or resolve any hate speech issues.

Coincidentally, when will YouTube also be removing President Trump's rally speeches from its website? Probably never.

The reality is this is a major PR stunt and nothing more. Google and Facebook are trying to save face as their stocks have dropped recently. They are appeasing the general public to appease shareholders, but let us be honest YouTube (Google) does not give a flying rats ass about hate speech. If they did they would be taking more proactive measures.

Instead I call this act of YouTube nothing more than irrelevant and nothing to be celebrated. Again Alex Jones did not lose a major audience from this act.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Seabass » Aug 08, 2018 2:03 am

Where do you draw the line, then? Should Youtube, Facebook, and Apple allow ISIS to publish content on their platforms? Boko Haram? Neo Nazi groups? KKK?

And by the way "free speech" always refers to government censorship. So no, not a free speech issue.

the legal right to express one's opinions freely

the right to express information, ideas, and opinions free of government restrictions based on content and subject only to reasonable limitations (as the power of the government to avoid a clear and present danger) especially as guaranteed by the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution

the right of people to express their opinions publicly without governmental interference, subject to the laws against libel, incitement to violence or rebellion, etc.

The right to speak without censorship or restraint by the government. Freedom of speech is protected by the First Amendment (see also First Amendment) to the Constitution.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freedom%20of%20speech
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/freedom-of-speech
Hey, Torquemada, whaddaya say?
I just got back from the auto-da-fé.
Auto-da-fé, what's an auto-da-fé?
It's what you oughtn't to do but you do anyway...

“In the meantime, rest well and dream of large women.”
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 08, 2018 2:05 am

...they are making a statement that hate speech is bad.

Is hate speech not bad?

Actually, that’s a sort of new term, I think. I think incitement is what has become known as hate speech today.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 08, 2018 2:12 am

Seabass wrote:Where do you draw the line, then? Should Youtube, Facebook, and Apple allow ISIS to publish content on their platforms? Boko Haram? Neo Nazi groups? KKK?

And by the way "free speech" always refers to government censorship. So no, not a free speech issue.

the legal right to express one's opinions freely

the right to express information, ideas, and opinions free of government restrictions based on content and subject only to reasonable limitations (as the power of the government to avoid a clear and present danger) especially as guaranteed by the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution

the right of people to express their opinions publicly without governmental interference, subject to the laws against libel, incitement to violence or rebellion, etc.

The right to speak without censorship or restraint by the government. Freedom of speech is protected by the First Amendment (see also First Amendment) to the Constitution.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freedom%20of%20speech
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/freedom-of-speech

I just read on NPR that some half of Republicans think their fuehrer should be able to shutter whatever they think is fake news. The same drooling morons who will whine about jones’ newfound publication problems as an attack on their free speech.

Yep. They love their free speech. As long as they are the only ones who get it.

Patriots, my shiny metal ass.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Aug 08, 2018 2:31 am

Whenever you hear someone going on about Free Speech, get ready to be stifled. Free Speech for EVERYONE except <fill in hateful asshole(s) of your choice>.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby willhud9 » Aug 08, 2018 2:55 am

Seabass wrote:Where do you draw the line, then? Should Youtube, Facebook, and Apple allow ISIS to publish content on their platforms? Boko Haram? Neo Nazi groups? KKK?

The same question can be asked of you. Where do you draw the line? Should YouTube troll through its videos looking for the slightest bit of negative commentary? If a liberal vlogger called the president a fat, stupid, pig should that be considered hateful speech? Why not? Why is hate defined strictly by such an arbitrary definition?

For me the line is non-existent. The knowledge of what is and is not hateful is more than enough to know what is and is not appropriate to listen to. Education, not censorship, is the key to battling hatred.

Furthermore, knowledge of what the other side is saying is key to address those issues in society. It is all well and good to say Nazis are bad, and yet here we are in America in 2018 and Nazis exist. Ignoring them and shaming them is not making them go away. Banning them from YouTube fuels them. It just gives them more fuel that the "media" is against them. They want a media blackout.

By forcing people to go to Alex Jones website or listen to his radio program you force those who are trying to educate people about their hateful words to have to support them via ad revenue or airfare. Instead of being able to watch the content on Youtube where a smaller portion of any income went. It restricts information and benefits the far-right more than it protects people from hate speech.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby purplerat » Aug 08, 2018 3:03 am

willhud9 wrote:
It very much is a free speech issue. The moment YouTube discusses hate speech they are making a statement that hate speech is bad.

Except this does nothing to actually fix or resolve any hate speech issues.

Coincidentally, when will YouTube also be removing President Trump's rally speeches from its website? Probably never.

The reality is this is a major PR stunt and nothing more. Google and Facebook are trying to save face as their stocks have dropped recently. They are appeasing the general public to appease shareholders, but let us be honest YouTube (Google) does not give a flying rats ass about hate speech. If they did they would be taking more proactive measures.

Instead I call this act of YouTube nothing more than irrelevant and nothing to be celebrated. Again Alex Jones did not lose a major audience from this act.

WTF? Weren't you, Willhud, just a couple of weeks ago defending Twitter being able to block speech when it came to blocking people from replying to Trump's tweets because they were a private company, even though that wasn't even the issue and instead it was an issue because Trump in his official capacity as president was doing so?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby willhud9 » Aug 08, 2018 3:07 am

Sure and if you can quote me saying YouTube cannot do this then your point would be sufficient.

My point is that YouTube SHOULDN'T do it. It is a big difference.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby purplerat » Aug 08, 2018 3:08 am

Anyways, don't Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. prohibit what people put on their platforms every day for a variety of reasons that would otherwise be free speech issues if they weren't private companies policing their own properties? Why the fuck is Alex Jones such a sacred cow that he can't be shut down even when he constantly goes way further than the average joe would get away with on those platforms?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Aug 08, 2018 3:16 am

Just post ONE dick pic to FB...
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby purplerat » Aug 08, 2018 3:18 am

willhud9 wrote:Sure and if you can quote me saying YouTube cannot do this then your point would be sufficient.

My point is that YouTube SHOULDN'T do it. It is a big difference.

My point is that in regards to Trump bocking people on Twitter you didn't seem too bothered by the notion of the government using private companies to circumvent the constitution but now you have a strong objection to a private company doing whats in their own best interest. It seems rather inconsistent to be willing to look the other way with actual violations of free speech while getting up in arms about non-violations.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs