Zero hours - Pro or against? Bad deal.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Zero hours - Pro or against? Bad deal.

#101  Postby CookieJon » Aug 21, 2013 10:40 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Folks,

This is a General Advisory to remind everyone participating in this thread to avoid making personal or inflammatory comments, and to post within the Membership Agreement.

Furthermore, if you feel a particular post does not conform to the FUA, then please use the report button to bring it to the attention of the moderation team rather than making accusations within this thread.

Please keep it civil, or further action may ensue!

Please don't discuss this modnote or moderation in this thread as it will be off topic. If you have any comments, please PM myself or a Global or Senior Moderator; alternately, you may start a thread in the Feedback Forum.

Jon
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Munchies » Apr 22, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm generally opposed to zero hour contracts because they sacrifice steady income for an employee in order to provide a more convenient human resource for employers. I can only imagine how much stress this causes people who have to take zero our contracts because of limited job availability.

The workplace is increasingly shifting towards treating people as inanimate resources to be exploited when convenient rather than as people who generally want stability.
Last edited by Munchies on Apr 22, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Munchies

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Ironclad » Apr 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Can you think of a bank willing to entertain a mortgage for a poor fucker on a zero hours contract? Damned if I can.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Munchies wrote:I'm generally opposed to zero hour contracts because they sacrifice steady income for an employee in order to provide a more convenient human resource for employers. I can only imagine how much stress this causes people who have to take zero our contracts because of limited job availability.

The workplace is increasingly shifting towards treating people as inanimate resources to be exploited when convenient rather than as people who generally want stability.

Don't ignore the thousands of people on zero hours contracts who are perfectly happy with them.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Munchies » Apr 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Munchies wrote:I'm generally opposed to zero hour contracts because they sacrifice steady income for an employee in order to provide a more convenient human resource for employers. I can only imagine how much stress this causes people who have to take zero our contracts because of limited job availability.

Don't ignore the thousands of people on zero hours contracts who are perfectly happy with them.

Have there been any reliable surveys of those on zero hour contractors regarding how happy they are with them? Anonymous surveys so people don't worry about losing their job for being honest.
Munchies

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Munchies wrote:Have there been any reliable surveys of those on zero hour contractors regarding how happy they are with them?

Yes.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#107  Postby quixotecoyote » Apr 23, 2014 5:48 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Munchies wrote:Have there been any reliable surveys of those on zero hour contractors regarding how happy they are with them?

Yes.

I'd be interested to see them.

The first time you tried, you posted a survey of the business association members, aka management rather than workers, so you'll have to do better than that.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Ironclad » Apr 23, 2014 6:26 am

There must be a benefit to the employer in some form, because of the drive to get staff on these contracts. Permanent jobs, part-time posts and job-shares all appear to be sliding under the cloud of 'zero-hours', but why the change? I looked at a job in the south of Birmingham (UK), it was a full-time position at a youth detention unit, a place I'd have imagined would certainly prefer familiar staff around the children, but no even this was zero-hours. Crazy!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2014 6:40 am

Strontium Dog wrote:

Yes.

Links?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2014 6:48 am

Seldom used here as if you work every week for a three month period. Just one hour is enough. You are entitled to a Dutch permanent contract.

Dutch employment laws:

http://www.expatax.nl/Documents/Step%20by%20step%20guide%20for%20employing%20staff.pdf

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#111  Postby mrjonno » Apr 23, 2014 8:40 am

Appalling yet another example of corporate welfare, the tax payer subsidising low or no wages.

You know what the problem in this country is too many unprofitable companies kept going due to subsidies. Maybe its time for a bit of natural selection at the corporate level and some of them going bust might actually be good for the economy long term.

If your company can't pay its staff enough to live they you aren't profitable regardless of what you tell the shareholders meeting
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm

quixotecoyote wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Yes.

The first time you tried, you posted a survey of the business association members, aka management rather than workers, so you'll have to do better than that.

Please don't misrepresent security industry members as horrible bosses, thanks.

Since then we have had the CIPD survey of workers too, which also confirms that reality conforms to me.

I'll trust your ability to use Google.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:...which also confirms that reality conforms to me.

Shouldn't that be the other way around? :? :lol:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
quixotecoyote wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Yes.

Please don't misrepresent security industry members as horrible bosses, thanks.

Since then we have had the CIPD survey of workers too, which also confirms that reality conforms to me.

I'll trust your ability to use Google.

I suppose you like the way you are heading for 3rd. world country status?

But of course you have a great example: AMERICA. Nice one.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#115  Postby mrjonno » Apr 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Our employment standards can't reach 3rd world levels while we are a member of the EU

Oh dear :(
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm

mrjonno wrote:

Our employment standards can't reach 3rd world levels while we are a member of the EU

Oh dear :(

Oh I know but it looks as if a good attempt is being made.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#117  Postby mrjonno » Apr 23, 2014 2:27 pm

I was thinking more about membership of the EU, its one of the reasons some shoddy employers want us to leave
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2014 2:30 pm

mrjonno wrote:I was thinking more about membership of the EU, its one of the reasons some shoddy employers want us to leave

Probably. I think Bangladesh would be the example plenty of employers in Britain would use. Cameron would back them as well.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I suppose you like the way you are heading for 3rd. world country status?

But of course you have a great example: AMERICA. Nice one.

Allowing casual labour is a one way street to 3rd world status? What? Should I have any idea what the hell you are talking about?
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#120  Postby mrjonno » Apr 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Allowing casual labour is a one way street to 3rd world status?

Actually in the 3rd world you get $1 dollar a day, alas that's $1 more than a zero hour contract
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs