33% of Canadians do not believe in God: Angus Reid poll

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

33% of Canadians do not believe in God: Angus Reid poll

#1  Postby Shrunk » Apr 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Other findings:

- The number of non-believers (19%) vs. religiously committed (21%) are equal within the margin of error.

- 55% do not believe religion has a positive impact on the world.

- Believers are happier and more charitable.

http://angusreid.org/religion-in-canada-150/
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: 33% of Canadians do not believe in God: Angus Reid poll

#2  Postby Macdoc » Apr 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Ignorance is bliss...surprised/depressed it's not lower ,,, :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Shrunk wrote:

- 55% do not believe religion has a positive impact on the world.

What, not even the religion of peace? Bloody Islamophobes! Somebody needs to call Justin Trudeau and tell him the bad news.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4  Postby romansh » Apr 15, 2017 7:26 pm

I could not find the 33 % of Canadians that do not believe in god in the poll ... though 33% do see the religion negatively.
Sadly 19 % looked a more accurate number.

I thought there were some small but strange anomalies ... eg 2 % of non believers think god is active in the world???

I live in "rural" BC ... I must admit I don't get a sense that I am surrounded by theistic believers ... but they definitely are there.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » Apr 15, 2017 7:37 pm

romansh wrote:I could not find the 33 % of Canadians that do not believe in god in the poll ... though 33% do see the religion negatively.
Sadly 19 % looked a more accurate number.

It looks about right (subject to rounding errors) for combining the first two graphs, headed "Four Canadian mindsets on religion" and "Do you believe that God or a higher power exists?".

- 100% of non-believers making up 19% of the population, for a total of 19% of the total population responded either "No, I don't think so" or "No, I definitely do not believe".
- 43% of the spiritually uncertain making up 30% of the population, for a total of 12.9% of the total population responded either "No, I don't think so" or "No, I definitely do not believe".
- 5% of the privately faithful making up 30% of the population, for a total of 1.5% of the total population responded either "No, I don't think so" or "No, I definitely do not believe".

That sums to 33.4% of the total (sampled) population replying that they either don't think there's a God or higher power or that they definitely don't think there's a God or higher power.
Thommo

Print view this post

#6  Postby romansh » Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm

OK take your point ... thanks
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#7  Postby Thommo » Apr 15, 2017 7:42 pm

There's also a table headed "Do you believe: (Percentage saying "definitely" or "I think so" shown)" that gives the figure for All Canadians saying that God or a higher power exists as 67%, which is probably the same thing stated more clearly. That one's a bit further down.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby romansh » Apr 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Thommo wrote:There's also a table headed "Do you believe: (Percentage saying "definitely" or "I think so" shown)" that gives the figure for All Canadians saying that God or a higher power exists as 67%, which is probably the same thing stated more clearly. That one's a bit further down.

Yeah ... but that would have involved higher mathematics ... subtracting 67 from a 100.

No need to rub it in :)
romansh

Print view this post

#10  Postby Manticore » Apr 18, 2017 9:36 am

Wonder what the percentage is for China. One of the most common questions I was asked there was: "Why do you people believe such stupid things?"
All I could say was that I had no idea and that I certainly didn't.
The existence of just one racist is proof that there exists at least one person who could be reasonably classified as sub-human.
Manticore

Tanzania (tz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Rumraket » Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am

To be fair, I've met quite a number of chinese people who believe we have an immaterial soul. They have their own strange ancestor worship ideas. Their long-dead parents, grandparents and so on somehow still linger on and watch over their lives.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Rumraket

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby crank » Apr 20, 2017 7:21 am

At least with that belief, you could make a psychological argument that they do to some extent, in the memories of the living. That kind of presence isn't at all controversial, and it can exert serious pressures. It's not a huge leap to folks externalizing this and making far more of that is really there. To me, this is far less irrational than belief in the massive fantastical accretions modern organized religions call dogma and creed.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Wortfish » Sep 08, 2017 3:10 pm

I have noticed that religiosity is strong around the equator. Canada is far from the equator. Maybe people who live a cold climate think that, if there was a God, he would make things warmer.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby tuco » Sep 08, 2017 3:55 pm

Sounds legit.
tuco

Print view this post

#15  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Most of inhabited Canada isn't usually cold.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Wortfish » Sep 09, 2017 8:42 am

tuco wrote:Sounds legit.

Religious people tend to be happier than non-religious people, and living in a warm climate may have something to do with it. At the same time, people who live near the equator tend to be poorer, but also better endowed, than those living further away from it.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 09, 2017 8:44 am

Better endowed what?
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Sep 09, 2017 10:09 am

Wortfish wrote:

Religious people tend to be happier than non-religious people, and living in a warm climate may have something to do with it. At the same time, people who live near the equator tend to be poorer, but also better endowed, than those living further away from it.

So are they happier because of climate or religion? btw if they were happier they would not try to migrate to colder climates.
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby Wortfish » Sep 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Better endowed what?

Well, it's not a great correlation: https://whyevolutionistrue.files.wordpr ... ze-map.jpg
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Wortfish » Sep 09, 2017 9:52 pm

tuco wrote:
Wortfish wrote:

So are they happier because of climate or religion? btw if they were happier they would not try to migrate to colder climates.

I suspect that living in a warm climate makes them more thankful and joyous than someone living in the deep freeze of Calgary.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism