Are Genocides Associated with Atheists?

Why were many of history's most brutal regimes authored by atheists?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Are Genocides Associated with Atheists?

#961  Postby hackenslash » Jul 27, 2021 6:06 pm

What have I told you about calling me fuck nose, arse face?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#962  Postby BlackBart » Jul 27, 2021 8:13 pm

:teef:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#963  Postby felltoearth » Jul 28, 2021 3:46 am

Pinochet was a practicing Catholic.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#964  Postby Agrippina » Jul 28, 2021 6:34 am

Has anyone ever heard of an atheist, a person who actually actively admits that they don't believe in any kind of woo, committing atrocities? I can't think of even a serial killer who didn't find Jesus or some sort of belief in some nonsense, before they were killed by the state. I went looking around for answers to whether atheists are more, or less, likely to commit crime, not only murder, but whether there is a correlation between crime generally, and belief, and the consensus seems to be that secular countries have lower crime rates, and even though strongly religious countries, and societies believe that atheists are more likely to have criminal tendencies, the opposite is true. My conclusion is that if you want to lower crime rates, get rid of religion.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#965  Postby BlackBart » Jul 28, 2021 11:25 am

Ever see a belt buckle with the inscription 'Gott nicht mitt uns'? Nope, me neither. :coffee:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#966  Postby Hermit » Jul 29, 2021 12:43 am

truelgbt wrote:
Hermit wrote:Not this canard again. Yes, atheist dictators have committed mass murders in the 20th century. So have theist dictators. Dictators are psychopaths regardless of whether they subscribe to a religion, or not.

The list of atheist dictators in the OP pretty much covers most of the dictators of the 20th century.

Who are the born-again Christian dictators you are referring to?

I have not referred to born-again Christian dictators. Neither have you until a week after I wrote the post you are quoting here. Learn to read.

In keeping with this thread's title, "Are Genocides Associated with Atheists?", and the discussion therein up to that point, I have mentioned theist dictators. Hitler was one of them, and almost all his collaborators as well as his supporters were theists.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#967  Postby Seabass » Jul 29, 2021 1:27 am

BlackBart wrote:ISTR A study that said that psychopaths - admittedly that's a broad definition - may feel remorse, guilt and empathy, they're just 'better' at compartmentalising and use coping strategies.

So Republicans are like psychopaths, but without the remorse, guilt, and empathy... :ask:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#968  Postby BlackBart » Jul 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Seabass wrote:
BlackBart wrote:ISTR A study that said that psychopaths - admittedly that's a broad definition - may feel remorse, guilt and empathy, they're just 'better' at compartmentalising and use coping strategies.

So Republicans are like psychopaths, but without the remorse, guilt, and empathy... :ask:

BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#969  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 30, 2021 3:43 am

I think we can all say that yes, yes, yes indeed, genocides are associated with atheists.

Associated with atheists by theists desperate to demonize non-conformity.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism