Are you mental?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Atheists: Have you ever had a psychological condition?

I'm not Atheist
4%
Yes, I am on the autistic spectrum (Priority over the other yes option)
4%
Yes, I have suffered depression/anxiety, bipolar disorder (or related), and/or schizophrenia
36%
Yes, I have another condition outside the psychological "norm" (specify)
4%
No
51%

Total votes : 136

Re: Are you mental?

#41  Postby byofrcs » Apr 23, 2010 1:28 am

br0k3nglass wrote:"Being healthy just means you have the same diseases as everyone else"

Being healthy means that there are more bacteria that want to ride around in you than want to eat you.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Astreja » May 09, 2010 6:05 am

In the past I've had a couple of run-ins with Seasonal Affective Disorder and several panic attacks, but no major incidents for quite some time now.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles
Astreja

Name: Astreja Odinsdóttir
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Jack Rawlinson » May 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Astreja wrote:In the past I've had a couple of run-ins with Seasonal Affective Disorder and several panic attacks, but no major incidents for quite some time now.

I have reverse seasonal affective disorder. I hate summer and I love winter.

No, I'm serious.
Jack Rawlinson

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby tuco » May 09, 2010 7:40 pm

I have self-diagnosed "an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it" - American Psychiatric Association, which is according to classification some kind of being mental. Dunno which one precisely, do not intend to find out, nor to fix it, because I love it :)
tuco

Print view this post

#45  Postby Dracena » May 09, 2010 7:51 pm

I go mental once a month :whistle:
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#46  Postby jim » May 09, 2010 10:25 pm

A quick wiki of mental illness brings us this...

Prevalence
Main article: Prevalence of mental disorders

Mental disorders have been found to be common, with more than one in three people in most countries reporting sufficient criteria for at least one diagnosis at some point in their life up to the time they were assessed..... Actual lifetime prevalence rates for mental disorders are estimated to be between 65% and 85%

So..If we go by the poll taken on this site it seems to suggest that atheists are less prone to mental disorders than theists.
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
jim

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby GreyICE » May 10, 2010 5:25 pm

jim wrote:A quick wiki of mental illness brings us this...

Prevalence

Mental disorders have been found to be common, with more than one in three people in most countries reporting sufficient criteria for at least one diagnosis at some point in their life up to the time they were assessed..... Actual lifetime prevalence rates for mental disorders are estimated to be between 65% and 85%

So..If we go by the poll taken on this site it seems to suggest that atheists are less prone to mental disorders than theists.
Lets never go by a self-reported, self-selected anonymous internet poll for anything. Ever.
GreyICE

Name: Kiss my ass

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby jim » May 10, 2010 6:18 pm

GreyICE wrote:
jim wrote:A quick wiki of mental illness brings us this...

Prevalence

Lets never go by a self-reported, self-selected anonymous internet poll for anything. Ever.

I agree, lets trust the free to edit wiki site instead. :ask:
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
jim

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby tuco » May 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Never trust what others tell about themselves. Most, if not all people, are self-delusional, under self-deception. It protects us, it allows us live with ourselves during the day to sleep well at night. Just ask people .. most are honest, most are not influenced by advertising, most don't have mental disorder, most are rational, most are empathic, most are in conscious control of themselves etc etc .. which in my opinion sharply contrasts with reality.
tuco

Print view this post

#50  Postby hadespussercats » May 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Well, aren't Christians afraid that suicide will condemn them to hell, because of their lack of faith in God's plan for them?

Being to afraid to kill oneself is different from being so happy and well-adjusted you don't want to kill yourself.

Conversely, I'm a mentally-ill atheist who has no desire to kill myself, and never has.

These issues are too complicated for a poll to answer.
hadespussercats

Print view this post

#51  Postby GreyICE » May 10, 2010 8:14 pm

jim wrote:
I agree, lets trust the free to edit wiki site instead. :ask:

I trust the articles it links to when they're trustworthy. Wiki itself is a nice starting point.

Internet polls are... nothing. If they worked, Ron Paul would be the US President.
GreyICE

Name: Kiss my ass

Print view this post

#52  Postby ScottyMet » May 14, 2010 2:55 pm

hadespussercats wrote:Well, aren't Christians afraid that suicide will condemn them to hell, because of their lack of faith in God's plan for them?

One must wonder, though... even with the concept of free will... we are all supposed to be part of God's plan... so maybe them committing suicide and being condemned to hell for it is part of God's plan?

Anyway, I'm an atheist, and I have Attention Deficit Disorder - Inattentive. I've had it all my life, and was only recently diagnosed. Even on medication, there's still no god. ;)
Your heart is in the right place... but your brain is somewhere cold and dark and covered with spiders.
ScottyMet

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#53  Postby hadespussercats » May 19, 2010 4:00 pm

ScottyMet wrote:
hadespussercats wrote:Well, aren't Christians afraid that suicide will condemn them to hell, because of their lack of faith in God's plan for them?

One must wonder, though... even with the concept of free will... we are all supposed to be part of God's plan... so maybe them committing suicide and being condemned to hell for it is part of God's plan?

Anyway, I'm an atheist, and I have Attention Deficit Disorder - Inattentive. I've had it all my life, and was only recently diagnosed. Even on medication, there's still no god. ;)

Yes, I've never understood how Theists can maintain a concept of free will that still allows for faith in God's Plan-- the best I can come up with in that scenario is that God is letting people feel like they have free will, as some sort of indulgence for his supposed favorite creations.

I'm not buying it. Of course, if I were, chances are I wouldn't be on this forum.
hadespussercats

Print view this post

#54  Postby MathieuT » May 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Isolation can cause depression.

Men don't tend to be really talkative about their problem. They keep it for themselves.

But there seem to have an exception for a believer. The priest can act as an effective confident for men (at least here). When you have problem, you get help and advice from the priest. He is after all your beacon of moral. And it is socially encouraged to get advice from him (or used to). The important part is that men with problems get a chance to talk to someone who will listen to him, someone that is outside the inner circle of relation.

Atheist don't have the equivalent. If so that would be the psy. But psy don't have the social popularity of the priest. So men tend to avoid them because they don't want to be viewed as crazy...

So I think that isolation is part of why Athiest commit suicide more than Theist.
MathieuT

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#55  Postby keypad5 » May 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Side note: This thread seems reciprocally appropriate/interesting:

Evangelical Pastors are depressed ... stats

I'd like to say I'm not mental... but the little yellow pills I keep taking suggest otherwise. :dance: :?
keypad5

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby orpheus » Jun 12, 2010 2:24 am

Jack Rawlinson wrote:
Astreja wrote:In the past I've had a couple of run-ins with Seasonal Affective Disorder and several panic attacks, but no major incidents for quite some time now.

No, I'm serious.

I'm the same. I discussed this with a very experienced and knowledgeable psychiatrist here in NYC, and he said that it is no joke - such a condition really does exist.
Let's try for peace in 2017, shall we?
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Jack Rawlinson » Jun 14, 2010 6:44 am

orpheus wrote:
Jack Rawlinson wrote:

No, I'm serious.

I'm the same. I discussed this with a very experienced and knowledgeable psychiatrist here in NYC, and he said that it is no joke - such a condition really does exist.

Yep, I wasn't joking. I find heat really enervates me. I sweat easily and I get uncomfortable when I do. Humidity kills me but even too much dry heat will make me screw my eyes up, give me headaches and just generally bring me down. I don't like bright light. I HATE flies. Winter is a joy for me because it keeps me cool - I actually enjoy the sensation of being a little cold; it makes me feel buzzy, alert and alive. I like dark nights because you can get cosy around a fire; crack a bottle of something warming; eat hearty, comforting food. It's just so much more pleasant to me than coping with heat and glaring sun. I love getting warm under a thick duvet. I love winter sports, and snow. I don't think anything makes me feel more glad to be alive than being first to the top of a mountain on a cold, crisp winter morning; watching the snow sparkling in the low sun, then launching myself down a steep run into the trees. Winter rocks!

Bah. Looks like it's going to be a scorcher here today. :roll:
Jack Rawlinson

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Goldenmane » Jun 14, 2010 8:07 am

I was never diagnosed, but I do suspect that I've suffered one form of depression in the past (a mildish one - I didn't top myself after all, but then that could be down to it seeming an utterly fucking pointless exercise). This depression (if it was depression) occurred at the time I was trying desperately to make sense of the world and my place in it... in other words, trying to work out why the fuck I'd been taught utter fucking nonsense about supernatural boogie-men, and how to establish some way of telling what was actual from what was utter shite.

In short, I suspect I was clinically depressed as a result of being raised religious. I still get bummed out every so often, but nowhere near significant on-going depression... and what alleviated it seems to have been realising that I'm an evolved organism, a bipedal relatively-hairless ape with all the evolutionary baggage that comes with that, including the ability to grasp that fact. This, combined with the understanding that it is possible for shit to actually make fucking sense - for one thing to follow from another in a way that religion almost never embraces intelligently - gives me a great big emotional/intellectual hardon for life.

Gotta go make dinner, but I think I'll come back to this thread.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#59  Postby Animavore » Jun 14, 2010 8:11 am

Except for brief melancholic episodes I have no (diagnosed anyway) mental illness.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#60  Postby orpheus » Jun 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Jack Rawlinson wrote:
orpheus wrote:
Jack Rawlinson wrote:

No, I'm serious.

Yep, I wasn't joking. I find heat really enervates me. I sweat easily and I get uncomfortable when I do. Humidity kills me but even too much dry heat will make me screw my eyes up, give me headaches and just generally bring me down. I don't like bright light. I HATE flies. Winter is a joy for me because it keeps me cool - I actually enjoy the sensation of being a little cold; it makes me feel buzzy, alert and alive. I like dark nights because you can get cosy around a fire; crack a bottle of something warming; eat hearty, comforting food. It's just so much more pleasant to me than coping with heat and glaring sun. I love getting warm under a thick duvet. I love winter sports, and snow. I don't think anything makes me feel more glad to be alive than being first to the top of a mountain on a cold, crisp winter morning; watching the snow sparkling in the low sun, then launching myself down a steep run into the trees. Winter rocks!

Bah. Looks like it's going to be a scorcher here today. :roll:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I spend the hot months indoors as much as possible. I invested in a good air conditioner, and I keep it running pretty much continuously. Expensive, but I can find no other way to make it through the summer in New York. When I have to go out, I try to move slowly, to keep from heating myself up more. Also, I've found that my discomfort in itself can produce more discomfort, as I'm hating every second of it and tensing up because of it. Consciously trying to relax when heat is unavoidable helps somewhat.

One suggestion my psychiatrist made which actually seems to help: get very dark sunglasses. Sounds like the bright light is harsh for you (as it is for me). Dark glasses help this, of course, and psychologically it somehow allows me to experience the world as somewhat cooler.
Let's try for peace in 2017, shall we?
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism