Are you proud about being an atheist?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Are you proud about being an atheist?

#341  Postby KeenIdiot » Jun 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Yes, but I would figure that's from being a subset of a population. It's nothing to crow over.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#342  Postby trubble76 » Jun 26, 2014 5:45 pm

KeenIdiot wrote:Yes, but I would figure that's from being a subset of a population. It's nothing to crow over.

If only they'd realised it's all because atheists are a subset of the population, you could have saved them the embarassment of submitting their work for peer-review. Stupid people should have realised there was a one-line dismissal of all their work.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#343  Postby Oldskeptic » Jun 26, 2014 5:48 pm

trubble76 wrote:
KeenIdiot wrote:I've met an atheist who feels all the abuse that atheists get in the States is self inflicted, and deservedly so. Drove me bonkers.

There is a meme that atheists are all more intelligent than believers, aside from myself as an example against this idea, I've met to many atheists to readily accept it.

If a person claims that all atheists are more intelligent than all theists, he's an idiot. There is, however, some evidence to show that atheists as a group are slightly more intelligent than theists as a group. See Zucherberg, Nyborg, Lynn, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosit ... telligence

The really intelligent theists are the ones that figure out how to make a lot of money off it.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#344  Postby KeenIdiot » Jun 26, 2014 7:35 pm

trubble76 wrote:
KeenIdiot wrote:Yes, but I would figure that's from being a subset of a population. It's nothing to crow over.

If only they'd realised it's all because atheists are a subset of the population, you could have saved them the embarassment of submitting their work for peer-review. Stupid people should have realised there was a one-line dismissal of all their work.

I wasn't dismissing the findings. My point was that in the US at least, most people are theist. And inquiry into religion is mostly discouraged.

Being of higher intelligence naturally tends towards inquiry. Being open to inquiry of religion does lead to atheism, but not necessarily.
So when you make a comparison with the average intelligence of atheists and theists, you are including a group that includes a wider range of intelligence than what would be found in the atheist group.
That's how I understand the findings anyway.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#345  Postby trubble76 » Jun 27, 2014 2:13 pm

KeenIdiot wrote:
trubble76 wrote:

I wasn't dismissing the findings. My point was that in the US at least, most people are theist. And inquiry into religion is mostly discouraged.

Being of higher intelligence naturally tends towards inquiry. Being open to inquiry of religion does lead to atheism, but not necessarily.
So when you make a comparison with the average intelligence of atheists and theists, you are including a group that includes a wider range of intelligence than what would be found in the atheist group.
That's how I understand the findings anyway.

Ok. I think I prefer the understanding of the findings of the scientists that did the peer-reviewed work.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism