Atheist Experience caller gets it.

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Atheist Experience caller gets it.

#1  Postby Shrunk » Dec 20, 2017 12:16 pm

At 11:50 :lol: :

"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist Experience caller gets it.

#2  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 20, 2017 12:24 pm

I've got a problem with the word supernatural....or perhaps it's not a problem; but a revealing truth...EVERYTHING is natural imo - the natural/artificial divide is moot at best. So if something is supernatural, and exists, it is in fact natural, and so not supernatural - so by definition; supernatural things do not exist.
"Jesus had a bad weekend for our sins." - Julia Sweeney
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Dec 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I've got a problem with the word supernatural....or perhaps it's not a problem; but a revealing truth...EVERYTHING is natural imo - the natural/artificial divide is moot at best. So if something is supernatural, and exists, it is in fact natural, and so not supernatural - so by definition; supernatural things do not exist.

That's how I see it. I think that's the point the AE people were trying to make, as well.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 20, 2017 8:09 pm

I dunno man...I can't detect them trying to make that point; but then again I am technically physiologically (Descartes?) myopic so...
"Jesus had a bad weekend for our sins." - Julia Sweeney
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#5  Postby zulumoose » Dec 21, 2017 5:46 am

Magnetism, electricity, lightning, radio, all are things that would appear supernatural to someone with no previous knowledge of them.

As Arthur C Clarke said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So what does it mean to say something is supernatural? How do you define that to take it beyond the point where it is just a phenomenon that is not understood yet?

An occurrence that is caused by an intelligence that has no physical being? Would that cover it?

Actually no, because magic would be supernatural but the magician does not need to be.

Forces not of this material universe that can act directly on this universe without regard for the natural behaviour of material in this universe?
Now it is becoming impossible to declare that something is supernatural. Maybe that holds for any definition of supernatural.

Any better ideas?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 25, 2017 6:11 pm

zulumoose wrote:Magnetism, electricity, lightning, radio, all are things that would appear supernatural to someone with no previous knowledge of them.

As Arthur C Clarke said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So what does it mean to say something is supernatural? How do you define that to take it beyond the point where it is just a phenomenon that is not understood yet?

An occurrence that is caused by an intelligence that has no physical being? Would that cover it?

Actually no, because magic would be supernatural but the magician does not need to be.
Actually, yes, because the magician would have to have supernatural powers, as well as being impossible by having no physical being.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Nontheism