Atheistic definitions of the word god to use at AA

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Atheistic definitions of the word god to use at AA

#241  Postby Fallible » May 28, 2016 9:12 pm

She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#242  Postby John Platko » May 28, 2016 9:20 pm

Fallible wrote:Image

Won't cut it as a valid refutation of the scientific work and ideas that I presented from world class scientists. :nono:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Fallible » May 28, 2016 9:26 pm

You can't jump the same shark twice, John. :nono:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#244  Postby John Platko » May 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Fallible wrote:You can't jump the same shark twice, John. :nono:

:scratch: Does that refute the science of prayer? :nono:
:scratch: Does that refute the linkage between CBT and prayer that I have now demonstrated here? :nono:

Got anything substantial to say about this?

:popcorn:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Fallible » May 28, 2016 10:07 pm

John. Not gonna work, mate.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#246  Postby John Platko » May 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Fallible wrote:John. Not gonna work, mate.

Work? I need nothing more to work. I have explained how prayer works by imagining the god of your choice both here and in the related thread. I have provided evidence from world class experts concurring with the gist of what I said. The work is done. The heavy lifting is done. Claims of no true Scotsman, and humpty dumpty have been appropriately dealt with - rationally.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#247  Postby Fallible » May 29, 2016 7:58 am

:rofl:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#248  Postby surreptitious57 » May 29, 2016 8:56 am

John Platko wrote:
I was cooking eggs this morning while pondering atheists praying to large long haired lesbians and such it dawned on me that
the risk reward of atheists engaging in such prayer might lean more toward the reward column than it would for the average theist who often seems to get their idea maps into the weeds because they actually believe that the God they are imagining exists beyond the substrate of their neural fabric. History is littered with the batty ideas that actual belief can lead to. It is
just a hypothesis mind you and there are reasons to think it not true Prof Lurhmann seems to highly rate the importance of believing in the God you imagine and the word imagine might make belief difficult for some. Still it is worth pondering

What exactly is the point in simply imagining God exists as opposed to actually thinking he does ? You might as well
forgo such an obvious self delusion if it is the extent of your belief. I would suggest that for all believers God is real
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#249  Postby John Platko » May 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Fallible wrote::rofl:

That's not going to refute anything. :nono:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#250  Postby John Platko » May 29, 2016 3:13 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
John Platko wrote:
I was cooking eggs this morning while pondering atheists praying to large long haired lesbians and such it dawned on me that
the risk reward of atheists engaging in such prayer might lean more toward the reward column than it would for the average theist who often seems to get their idea maps into the weeds because they actually believe that the God they are imagining exists beyond the substrate of their neural fabric. History is littered with the batty ideas that actual belief can lead to. It is
just a hypothesis mind you and there are reasons to think it not true Prof Lurhmann seems to highly rate the importance of believing in the God you imagine and the word imagine might make belief difficult for some. Still it is worth pondering

What exactly is the point in simply imagining God exists as opposed to actually thinking he does ? You might as well
forgo such an obvious self delusion if it is the extent of your belief. I would suggest that for all believers God is real

As has been demonstrated in this thread and elsewhere, it is simply not true that for all believers God is known to be real. What is true, is that what all believers know about God comes from their imagination or the imagination of others, we know this to be true because how else could people know about God?

Why would someone what to believe in something they know they are imagining?- because it has been demonstrated to be an effective thing to do. It can work before a golf or tennis shot. And if praying to a large long haired lesbian is what you need to do to loose weight then why not get on your knees and ...

See here for links to how praying to a long haired lesbian helped an atheist loose weight. I've provided links to a psychological anthropologist who explains how prayer is like self-talk in CBT therapy. In short, prayer can be an effective form of psychological therapy. There also seems to be some scientific evidence that it helps with certain metacognitive skills.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#251  Postby surreptitious57 » May 29, 2016 4:15 pm

John Platko wrote:
I have provided links to a psychological anthropologist who explains how prayer is like self talk in CBT therapy. In short prayer can be an effective form of psychological therapy. There also seems to be some scientific evidence that it helps with certain metacognitive skills

If talking to yourself is an effective methodology within CBT then that completely eliminates the need to have an imaginary friend. Since changing the way you think is the whole raison d etre of CBT anyway then self assessment is not only desirable but necessary. And it can be achieved without invoking God especially if you do not actually believe in him in the first place Since the only person you do have to believe in is yourself. No one else
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#252  Postby surreptitious57 » May 29, 2016 4:39 pm

John Platko wrote:
See here for links to how praying to a long haired lesbian helped an atheist loose weight

He achieved that by eating less and / or exercising more and not by praying to his imaginary friend
Or do you think he would have lost weight if he just prayed to her but carried on eating like before
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#253  Postby John Platko » May 29, 2016 5:37 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
John Platko wrote:
I have provided links to a psychological anthropologist who explains how prayer is like self talk in CBT therapy. In short prayer can be an effective form of psychological therapy. There also seems to be some scientific evidence that it helps with certain metacognitive skills

If talking to yourself is an effective methodology within CBT then that completely eliminates the need to have an imaginary friend.

Can you provide some evidence that proves this to be true? I'm not trying to be smart assey by asking that, it's just that there is considerable evidence that indicates otherwise. (Remember the Darren Brown video where the woman imagined people where helping her through the week?)

Since changing the way you think is the whole raison d etre of CBT anyway then self assessment is not only desirable but necessary. And it can be achieved without invoking God especially if you do not actually believe in him in the first place Since the only person you do have to believe in is yourself. No one else

This may indeed be true for some, but that doesn't mean that others, for whatever reason, don't find beliefe in whatever god they are imagining to be helpful.

The example at hand is a case in point. I think we can all agree that one could loose weight without getting down on the their knees and praying to a large long haired lesbian, however in this case, that is the remedy that got the job done.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#254  Postby Fallible » May 29, 2016 8:51 pm

John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote::rofl:

That's not going to refute anything. :nono:

That's not going to troll anyone. :nono:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#255  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Off to AA in 20 minutes. Gets me out of the house and it's nice to be reassured you're not the only tea total in England!
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#256  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2017 8:38 pm

That was really good. Didn't speak as the meeting was very busy, but stayed behind for a chat with a couple of fellows afterwards. It's so nice to spend time with other alcoholics who understand the issues on a personal level. Looking forward to the next meeting.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#257  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 10, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm starting step 3 tomorrow - turning my will and life over to the care of my higher power (god). That means no nicotine and plenty of hard work, as well as obviously abstaining from alcohol, illicit drugs and gambling. Meeting tomorrow morning 9:30.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#258  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Fallible wrote:Image

Where's Bassie?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#259  Postby Keep It Real » May 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Well, that was a disaster. Got myself a sponsor at AA yesterday, but it turns out he's a complete prick. He persuaded me to go to a meeting this morning because he said we had to be in contact every morning at 10am, so I made it there, and he barely spoke two words to me. He did his usual long, boring, snobby share and then just fucked off! He also told me not to call him "mate" because he "wasn't here to be my friend". Well, I call everybody mate, including shop assistants and strangers who hold a door open for me. He strikes me as somebody who just cruises AA because he likes feeling superior at being sober for 4 years, and is actually just a pathetic sad little man with no warmth in his heart...particularly for males who are younger, better educated and bigger than him. I've seen his kind of derisive one-upmanship before and it's a vibe you get from people who've got a major chip on their shoulder. I was a fool not to have spotted it before. Next time I'm going for a mature, educated person, not some Chinese delivering 37 year old little prick. AA tonight and he won't be there...yippee! Anyway, fuck.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#260  Postby CarlPierce » Jun 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Never drunk alcohol in my life....I saw all the kids at school thinking it was grown up or something so vowed to do the opposite. No other food stuff seems to have so much subtle cultural baggage to push their product. You realise how stupid drink is if you apply their terms to other things. Wow you downed three bags of crisps what a man. Ill get the next round of chips in. You ate how many creme eggs you dog you will feel it tomorrow. I'm a 'hard' mash potato eater. Knowing crazy religious loons like AA are out there is enough to stop me ever even wanting to try drink.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism