Belief in a "higher power"

How do you convince someone who believes in "something greater"

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Belief in a "higher power"

#101  Postby Dark energy » Feb 06, 2017 7:21 pm

during my vacation-4 months,i had ample time in my hands,i played chess,compaigned for a cause and smoked some weed.
then i stumpled upon a forum where they talk about unproven phenomena called NDE-NEAR death experience,there is an ongoing research on it,what amazed me was the similarities about these cases,i read about 200 cases while at the same time enjoying excellent cappuccino,almost everyone talked about this white light this higher being,this power that power etc,strange things which i dont understand but the experiences of atheists were almost on another level,different ,unpleasant experiences,can anyone shed light on this?
Last edited by Dark energy on Feb 06, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And."
Dark energy

Name: dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby BWE » Feb 06, 2017 7:23 pm

No. No I really don't think that post can be illuminated.
BWE

Print view this post

#103  Postby newolder » Feb 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Dark energy, What you must understand, in order to turn on the shed light, is that the power switch is higher than you can reach. A step-ladder is a useful addition to any shed. :nod:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#104  Postby Thommo » Feb 06, 2017 7:32 pm

My guess is "it never happened". I'd ask "what are you smoking?", but you already told us.
Thommo

Print view this post

#105  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 06, 2017 7:45 pm

newolder wrote:Dark energy, What you must understand, in order to turn on the shed light, is that the power switch is higher than you can reach. A step-ladder is a useful addition to any shed. :nod:

Ahem, ahem...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ylons.html
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#106  Postby newolder » Feb 06, 2017 7:52 pm

The men are required to work at a height of 885ft (270 metres) as they install a crossing tower for a new line of ultra high voltage cable stretching from Anhui province to Shanghai - a distance of 268 miles.

Higher power indeed, milady, but I fail to grasp how that will help poster Dark energy turn on their shed light. :scratch:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#107  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Dark energy wrote:during my vacation-4 months,i had ample time in my hands,i played chess,compaigned for a cause and smoked some weed.
then i stumpled upon a forum where they talk about unproven phenomena called NDE-NEAR death experience,there is an ongoing research on it,what amazed me was the similarities about these cases,i read about 200 cases while at the same time enjoying excellent cappuccino,almost everyone talked about this white light this higher being,this power that power etc,strange things which i dont understand but the experiences of atheists were almost on another level,different ,unpleasant experiences,can anyone shed light on this?

There's also 100s if not 1000s of people around the world who have 'experienced' being kidnapped by aliens. Also with a lot of similarities.
This does not demonstrate that earth has been vistited by aliens 100s of times.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Dark energy, pretty much every topic you raise has already been discussed to death (har har) on this forum. There is a search function to the right of the forum logo at the top of the page, you should give it a try.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Dark energy » Feb 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Cool,that is why i never create threads anyway.
And."
Dark energy

Name: dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#110  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 07, 2017 7:45 am

newolder wrote:

The men are required to work at a height of 885ft (270 metres) as they install a crossing tower for a new line of ultra high voltage cable stretching from Anhui province to Shanghai - a distance of 268 miles.

Higher power indeed, milady, but I fail to grasp how that will help poster Dark energy turn on their shed light. :scratch:

Well, of course, one would always go for the stepladder in the shed scenario. I just wanted to post that cool picture. The segue, if any, was tenuous and tangential at best.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#111  Postby THWOTH » Feb 07, 2017 11:35 am

I love my stepladder.... I never really got on with my real ladder.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#112  Postby newolder » Feb 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Recall from 2011 counts as long term memory?
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#113  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 07, 2017 1:16 pm

THWOTH wrote:I love my stepladder.... I never really got on with my real ladder.

You're a genius, THWOTH! :lol: :thumbup:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#114  Postby zulumoose » Feb 07, 2017 1:50 pm

I think the whole belief in a "higher power" is a yearning for justice.

Good things should happen to good people.
Bad things should happen to bad people.
We shouldn't have to die and just cease to exist.
Our whole life experience disappear in a heartbeat, why?
People we love shouldn't be lost to us forever when they die.
Life should have more purpose, be more meaningful than it appears to be.

As intelligent (barring U.S. Republicans) beings, we want this kind of justice, and we sometimes need the comfort that believing there is an answer gives. I think this is the basis of all religion, we are to varying degrees stuck with a mind that tends towards slipping into comfortable belief and shys away from objective evaluation. Those people who suffer less from these reality-denying tendencies are those who practice "rational skepticism".
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#115  Postby tolman » Feb 08, 2017 12:02 am

Dark energy wrote:Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, one of the most respected scientists today claimed that he found definitive proof of the existence of God. The information he shared created a great stir in the scientific community simply because of his status as one of the creators and developers of the revolutionary String Theory, which is highly regarded everywhere in the world.

the thing is this higher being can be interpreted in many different ways ,it can be Trinity Jesus according to bible-the word bible doesnt exist in the bible it self interesting :ask: ,,Allah of Muslims or hindu ,it is up to the individual to seek the truth and believe what the heck he/she is comfortable with.

As I said, people making shit up, according to what they want to believe.

Which is OK in itself, if people are actually honest with themselves and others that that's what they're doing.
What is pathetic is the complete lack of intellectual honesty involved in pretending that they have the support of some higher power for what they (or other people) made up, as if that makes it more true than anything else anyone else made up.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#116  Postby archibald » Feb 08, 2017 12:08 am

Dark energy wrote:...can anyone shed light on this?

“In the beginning there was nothing. God said, ‘Let there be light!’ And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better.”
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#117  Postby tolman » Feb 08, 2017 12:19 am

Dark energy wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Also, you can keep ignoring the point about the genocidal disposition of the Abrahamic god, it won't magically change or hide that fact.

genocide is Wrong ,If you see a verse that condones it is likely being altered by humans.

Well, as Alan pointed out, the entire thing was written by humans, and wholly interpreted by humans.

That a supposedly all-powerful deity always has to rely entirely on human followers of various levels of fanaticism to get [what the humans think, or pretend to think is] the deity's will enforced makes that pretty fucking obvious.

FFS, the 'God' of the Bible could supposedly inspire a perfect book, but demonstrably couldn't intervene to stop various of its followers killing each other in its name, unless it sadistically enjoys seeing generally devout people kill each other, and exactly the same could be said of the Allah of the Koran.

Such ineffectuality in some invisible thing claimed to be omnipotent seems like a pretty good argument for the thing in question being nonexistent.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#118  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 08, 2017 5:15 am

THWOTH wrote:I love my stepladder.... I never really got on with my real ladder.

Dad joke of the week :thumbup:
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#119  Postby aliihsanasl » Aug 01, 2017 3:50 pm

There is no way imo, this is a game set by them and they want to cheat themselves and feel happy that way. A religious person on a TV show said "cant you see all these people created with different faces, voices, fingerprint this proves the ability and power of Allah" atheist said "yes I see but creating everyone different isnt the difficult one, a painter can paint a picture but whats difficult is to create exactly the same"

Its a perspective they want to look from one angle atheist from another one.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#120  Postby John Platko » Aug 01, 2017 4:19 pm

edit: comment removed until the thread shows more signs of recent life.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism