Challenges to an Agnostic

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

#61  Postby scherado » Dec 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:The way I understand it, some guy on the radio spoke a particular word. For decades, scherado's been thumbing the dictionary to a particular page, not coincidentally, the page on which that word occurs, which explains why the crease in the binding is there. Causality is saved.

That's almost guffaw-worthy. You demonstrated less comprehension than the other guy.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 22, 2018 11:11 pm

scherado wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:The way I understand it, some guy on the radio spoke a particular word. For decades, scherado's been thumbing the dictionary to a particular page, not coincidentally, the page on which that word occurs, which explains why the crease in the binding is there. Causality is saved.

That's almost guffaw-worthy. You demonstrated less comprehension than the other guy.

You're trying to sell me on the idea that something inexplicable happened to you that you want to interpret in a certain way. I don't know what the rest of your life is like when you're not writing nutty stuff in this forum, but be that as it may, you didn't make the sale. Cry me a river.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Hermit » Dec 23, 2018 1:38 am

scherado wrote:There's no "ball in my court," unless the scenario is unclear.

The scenario is sufficiently clear. You are asking if "an event so improbable as to have an incomprehensibly small likelihood of occurring" could be "a sign, yes, evidence of god". My reply was: "Nobody has managed to explain to me by what criterion we can determine the point at which something becomes so unlikely that it could not possibly have occurred without the intercession of a supernatural entity", Until you provide an answer to that problem the ball remains in your court.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Re: Challenges to Troll

#64  Postby Macdoc » Dec 23, 2018 2:05 am

I have a question for Scherado

Why were you banned from Hypography?

http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/30429-9112017/

Only 207 posts too..... :nono:

:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Fenrir » Dec 26, 2018 3:08 am

Terry Prachett wrote:Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#66  Postby TopCat » Dec 26, 2018 5:45 pm

scherado wrote:Do you NOW follow? I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, let's see.

Suppose that P1(X) is the probability of event X occurring, in isolation from all other events.

What do you think P2(X) is, where P2(X) is the probability of X occurring, given that a number of other independent events have already happened?

If we can agree on the answer to this, we can continue the conversation. Otherwise, not so much.
Last edited by TopCat on Dec 26, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Nobody uses "troll" properly; Troll Schmoll

#67  Postby scherado » Dec 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Macdoc wrote:I have a question for Scherado

http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/30429-9112017/

Only 207 posts too..... :nono:

:coffee:

I don't recall, if in fact I was; Does it matter? If you can give me a good reason to consult Memory Division, then I will do that, otherwise, you find out to satisfy YOUR curiosity.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Troll Schmoll

#68  Postby scherado » Dec 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Macdoc wrote:I have a question for Scherado ....

http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/30429-9112017/ ...

First, it's poor form to begin a sentence with "why."

Second, The reason was, probably, a combination of the usual Leftist malcontents PLUS I recommended STRONGLY that some of the moderators be relieved of their duties. I've always survived operating under the rule that moderators are off limits, that they have unconditional rule of the kingdom -- I'm not perfect and I strayed from my rule in that forum.

That's the best I can do, without digging deeper.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#69  Postby TopCat » Dec 26, 2018 6:27 pm

Forgive me, Ratskeppers, for double posting this.

I'm not sure if Scherado has a scroll wheel, but in case he doesn't:

scherado wrote:Do you NOW follow? I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, let's see.

Suppose that P1(X) is the probability of event X occurring, in isolation from all other events.

What do you think P2(X) is, where P2(X) is the probability of X occurring, given that a number of other independent events have already happened?
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Hermit » Dec 27, 2018 1:56 am

scherado wrote:
Macdoc wrote:I have a question for Scherado ....

http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/30429-9112017/ ...

First, it's poor form to begin a sentence with "why."

Citation needed. Why am I not surprised you didn't provide one?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#71  Postby Macdoc » Dec 28, 2018 5:27 am

Just answer the question

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#72  Postby TopCat » Dec 28, 2018 9:05 am

Macdoc wrote:Just answer the question

I'd speculate that it was probably for acting in contravention of Wheaton's Law, but in reality, who cares?

Of much more relevance and educational value, of which there are slim pickings to be had from Scherado's posts, is an answer to my question about conditional probability, as I suspect that is where the debunking of his magical assertions in this thread is to be found.

I'm not really expecting an answer (tangential wibbling will not count as an answer), as it would imply a willingness to engage in actual discourse. But I live in hope.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#73  Postby scott1328 » Dec 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Scherado loves to post "challenges"

He runs away from every challenge posed to him however. He actually spent 30 days in jail to avoid answering a simple challenge I posed to him.*

*The jail time might have been for some crime or misdemeanor commited, but the effect was the same.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby The_Piper » Dec 28, 2018 3:02 pm

scherado wrote:
The_Piper wrote:Yup, and the odds are even greater than that of a hit, since he knew it wouldn't be in the last 2/3 of the book. It's more than a 1 in 300 chance.

You still don't get it, but that is on you isn't it? In other words, you've demonstrated that you did not comprehend the content. Then you point to your error. You put the a-s-s in embarrassment.

Oh, so you aren't smart enough to know that the word would be in a certain portion of the book? You do know dictionaries tend to list their words in alphabetical order right? If not, you do now.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby felltoearth » Dec 28, 2018 4:41 pm

scott1328 wrote:Scherado loves to post "challenges"

He runs away from every challenge posed to him however. He actually spent 30 days in jail to avoid answering a simple challenge I posed to him.*

*The jail time might have been for some crime or misdemeanor commited, but the effect was the same.

He’s avoided my question about how he squares his agnosticism with an apparent love of Nietzsche. I’m guessing he hasn’t thought much about much.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 28, 2018 9:08 pm

laklak wrote:I'm a Roman Catholic. By that I mean that I don't believe in God, the Saints, Papal infallibility, or Jesus. I just like wine and crackers.

Bloody catholics filling the bloody world with bloody people they cant afford to feed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 28, 2018 9:17 pm

The_Piper wrote:
scherado wrote:
The_Piper wrote:Yup, and the odds are even greater than that of a hit, since he knew it wouldn't be in the last 2/3 of the book. It's more than a 1 in 300 chance.

You still don't get it, but that is on you isn't it? In other words, you've demonstrated that you did not comprehend the content. Then you point to your error. You put the a-s-s in embarrassment.

Oh, so you aren't smart enough to know that the word would be in a certain portion of the book? You do know dictionaries tend to list their words in alphabetical order right? If not, you do now.

No shit, eh?

Here's what he can't get his mind around: Some clown said a word on the radio. His old unabridged dictionary happened to be often opened (more likely, left open) to a particular section. A section that was well used.

Notice how he fails to identify this particular word?

How much you want to bet it's a fairly common word, as are the words to be found in that section of his unabridged dictionary?

I bet that word didn't start with the letter Z. I further bet it has more than three or four letters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#78  Postby archibald » Dec 28, 2018 11:30 pm

scherado wrote:Are you persuaded?

No. Should I be? It's not much of a challenge. As someone else said, the odds of it happening are a LOT lower than winning the lottery, and that happens to someone almost every week, in several countries.

What else you got? :)
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#79  Postby scott1328 » Dec 29, 2018 12:20 am

archibald wrote:

No. Should I be? It's not much of a challenge. As someone else said, the odds of it happening are a LOT lower than winning the lottery, and that happens to someone almost every week, in several countries.

Holy shit, it’s archibald! Back after a year’s absence. This must surely be a sign from God!
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#80  Postby archibald » Dec 29, 2018 12:23 am

scott1328 wrote:
archibald wrote:

Holy shit, it’s archibald! Back after a year’s absence. This must surely be a sign from God!

Believe it scott. And the winning lottery numbers are 34, 23, 1, 42, 45 and 36.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism