Church of Atheism and atheist churches

Atheism as a pseudo-religion and cult

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Church of Atheism and atheist churches

#21  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
And mendacity is at the core of yours, apparently. To what do we owe this pleasure, Wortles? Have you come a-trolling among the leaves so green, just as your ancestors went a-wassailing in the olden days during this merry Pagan festival they hijacked? Hmm? Or just at a loose end, so you thought you’d come and throw stones at the neighbours’ houses? Find something to do with yourself.

Atheists love to attack, denigrate and mock religious belief.

Christians love to rape children.
See, I can make bullshit generalisations too. :roll:

Wortfish wrote: They are not simply content to have no belief in God. Ever since coming to power in the 1920s, atheists have waged an existential war against religion. The stated goal of prominent atheists, like Richard Dawkins, is the complete and utter extirpation of religious belief. Theirs is a hate-filled ideology.

Get back to us when you're done trolling and/or back to reality..... :coffee:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 15, 2019 8:40 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:Sure, sure. I love when you tell atheists what they are. Exemplifies your stupidity very effectively. Why do you think you should be given more credence than any other crackpot who wanders in?

Let go of the hate. :smile:

Let go of the (passive-agressive) trolling. :naughty:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Seabass wrote:Atheists came to power in the 1920s?! Damn, I missed it! :whine:

He's obviously appealing to the Communists = Atheist canard ignorant Christians like to throw out so much.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » Dec 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Oh, would you look at that...as soon as I asked him to answer the question, he disappeared.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Ironclad » Dec 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Darwin be praised! It's a miracle! All kneel down before the Lord, DNA.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Wortfish » Dec 15, 2019 11:48 pm

I was referring to the atheist Soviet takeover of the Russian Empire. However, I could also have referred to the atheists of the French revolution who turned churches into wine cellars in the 1790s and executed thousands of priests.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Seabass » Dec 16, 2019 12:17 am

It's a shame they didn't get ALL the priests... :sigh:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Wortfish » Dec 16, 2019 12:19 am

Fallible wrote:
Answer the question. :) No, go on, answer it. Right now, I hold the view that you are completely incapable of giving a straightforward answer to any question posed to you, and are instead compelled by some unknown force to be constantly mendacious and nasty. You have a golden opportunity. Show me you can be honest, answer a question squarely, and I might start thinking of you as something other than a troll - one so blatant that he can trot onto a sceptics’ forum and roll out comments about hatred among atheists, when he alone is the one who has deliberately sought a community which does not hold his beliefs, and attempted to attack them for that reason and no other. Go on, Wortles.

Hate is the only possible explanation for the dogmatic anti-theism held by many atheists. It is driven by the belief that religion is a source of evil and ignorance that is holding back human progress and that the eradication of religion is both just and necessary.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 16, 2019 1:07 am

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Answer the question. :) No, go on, answer it. Right now, I hold the view that you are completely incapable of giving a straightforward answer to any question posed to you, and are instead compelled by some unknown force to be constantly mendacious and nasty. You have a golden opportunity. Show me you can be honest, answer a question squarely, and I might start thinking of you as something other than a troll - one so blatant that he can trot onto a sceptics’ forum and roll out comments about hatred among atheists, when he alone is the one who has deliberately sought a community which does not hold his beliefs, and attempted to attack them for that reason and no other. Go on, Wortles.

Hate is the only possible explanation for the dogmatic anti-theism held by many atheists.

Your persistently shitty attitude and single-minded belligerence defeat this assertion of yours soundly. How does it go in the text you supposedly ascribe to, "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam of thine own eye"? Maybe you should try reading it sometime, you might actually find yourself acting like a Christian.

It is driven by the belief that religion is a source of evil and ignorance that is holding back human progress and that the eradication of religion is both just and necessary.

That religion is a huge source of terrible things and ignorance isn't at all debatable. History is filled with it, and your words display it with every post. I'm an atheist and eradication of religion isn't even a low level goal of mine, so that's another one of your vacuous assertions straight in the shitter. Got any more?
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Dec 16, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby felltoearth » Dec 16, 2019 1:08 am

Seabass wrote:It's a shame they didn't get ALL the priests... :sigh:

Lawyers first THEN the priests.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby laklak » Dec 16, 2019 1:30 am

Atheist churches are the best churches (and Dutch Atheist Churches are even better). You can be a member of lots of them at the same time! I, for example, am a card carrying Pastafarian, an ordained Dudest Priest (I can do marriages and funerals, if anyone's interested), and member of both the Church of Satan and the Church of the Subgenius. Try that if you're Catholic or Hindu or whatever. Plus you just sign up online, no need for catechism classes or Sunday School or boring meditation stuff.

It's neato!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#32  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 16, 2019 3:35 am

Wortfish wrote:

I was referring to the atheist Soviet takeover of the Russian Empire.

And now you've got a Christian that assassinates people with plutonium tea, foments discord and promotes bigotry across the globe, all while robbing his people blind. Easy come easy go!

However, I could also have referred to the atheists of the French revolution who turned churches into wine cellars

First time they'd ever been truly useful. You of course won't shed a tear for all the time the church had been robbing the people blind while they gorged themselves on riches.

in the 1790s and executed thousands of priests.

But that would require you to get your story straight, since the 1790's is most definitely not the 1920's. Pick a point to spit your ignorant, bitter hate and stick with it, hm?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 16, 2019 3:42 am

Wortfish wrote:Despite the claims that atheism is not a "religion",...

Err no.

You misunderstand. This is, of course, the primary pattern when it comes to your posts here.

It's not a "claim" - it's a fact. Atheism is NOT a religion. No one considers it a religion and it shares none of the characteristics of a religion.

Wortfish wrote: many atheists are adamant that they worship science and praise Mother Nature:

Trolling.

Wortfish wrote:
A self-styled “church of atheism” has been denied charity tax status after the Federal Court of Appeal agreed with the Minister of National Revenue that it is not actually a religion, even though it claims to have a minister, 10 commandments, and a worshipful relationship to the “sacred texts” of what it calls “mainstream science".

Fantastic, so you cite an example where a court denies that a church of atheism be considered a religion in order to support your contention that it is a religion. :lol:

Wortfish wrote:"Atheist churches" are springing up all across North American and Europe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21319945

And? A church does not a religion make.

Wortfish wrote:
There is a reading from Alice in Wonderland and a power-point presentation from a particle physicist, Dr Harry Cliff, who explains the origins of antimatter theory.

So reading from a book and a power point presentation are now what we're meant to take as being defining of a religion? Can you grasp at a few more straws?

Wortfish wrote:Atheism isn't just, as some here have framed it, a "lack of belief in god(s)".

Atheism is just a lack of belief in gods, regardless of how desperate some Creationists are to frame it otherwise. What's amusing is how such Creationists fail to spot that that they're trying to denigrate non-belief by making it on par with their own belief systems... there's some stunning dissonance required to perform this, but such Creationists never quite perceive it.

Wortfish wrote: It is a cultural and social movement with its own fundamental tenets and beliefs.

It certainly can be, but none of this makes it a religion.

Wortfish wrote:There are not just atheist churches, but atheist organizations, societies and foundations.

And none of these make it a religion.

So your argumentation is exposed as being wholly motivated.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 16, 2019 3:50 am

Wortfish wrote:
The court ruled that religion involves belief in the supernatural. But there are pantheists who only believe in the natural. Atheism and pantheism are inextricably intertwined.

The court ruling is something you cited in support of your claim and it directly contradicts your claim.

Pantheism has two main definitions, the first is a belief that treats the universe as god in contrast to theism which believes that god is distinct from the universe, and the second is the acceptance of all gods...

So in other words, nothing whatsoever like atheism.

Also, pantheism isn't a religion. Pantheists may well maintain pantheistic beliefs and be part of an actual religion, but pantheism is a philosophical position on the presumed nature of the divine.

Wortfish wrote: I would claim that atheism is properly a "pseudo-religion" like Marxism/Communism.

And this is why you're hopelessly confused because neither Marxism nor Communism are religions or pseudo-religions. I do find it amusing that you want to treat all the things you don't like as religions. Is there something repressed in you that is struggling to get out and be heard?

Wortfish wrote:Let us not also forget that there is a strong anti-theism current in atheism...

You're using words but you're not really considering what they mean, are you? Of course there is - antitheism is direct opposition to belief in a specific deity. An atheist in a Christian society is going to be antitheist with respect to Christianity because that's the religion which is overbearing, oppressive, and rammed in her face all through her life.

Wortfish wrote:which is just as pernicious and bigoted as the anti-semitism within the Labour party in the UK.

Shove your hostile conceited trolling back up the sticky passage you extracted it from.

Wortfish wrote: Hatred is at the core of the atheist message.

Says the guy who seeks out atheists to express his prejudice against.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 16, 2019 3:59 am

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
And mendacity is at the core of yours, apparently. To what do we owe this pleasure, Wortles? Have you come a-trolling among the leaves so green, just as your ancestors went a-wassailing in the olden days during this merry Pagan festival they hijacked? Hmm? Or just at a loose end, so you thought you’d come and throw stones at the neighbours’ houses? Find something to do with yourself.

Atheists love to attack, denigrate and mock religious belief.

Theists love to attack, denigrate and mock religious belief. The difference, historically, is that theists actually get together and go murder, rape and pillage theists who don't agree with them.

Wortfish wrote:They are not simply content to have no belief in God.

Bullshit. I am perfectly content not to believe in your god. I don't spend my time looking for fora where Christians or Muslims or other religious groups congregate in order to mock and denigrate them.

Whereas you... :)

Further, are you content to simply believe in your God? Or do you also denigrate other religions, like Hinduism, Islam etc? Most frothing Creationists would be busy hating other religions if they didn't feel the need to publicly express their hatred of the heathen first.

Wortfish wrote: Ever since coming to power in the 1920s, atheists have waged an existential war against religion.

Wut?

What the fuck are you nattering about?

Wortfish wrote:The stated goal of prominent atheists, like Richard Dawkins, is the complete and utter extirpation of religious belief.

Here's a thing about atheism - it isn't a religion, and consequently it has no religious leaders. Dawkins says X does not mean that this is a position of atheism - it's just Dawkins' position. He's perfectly entitled to his beliefs in a modern, free society - do you have a problem with modern, free societies Wortfish? If it was up to you, would you burn him at the stake? Or send him from some loving correction by Church inquisitors?

While atheism hasn't been "in power" since any time, ever... the rise of secularism in the West over the last half a century or so has coincided with much more egalitarian societies which seem to have agreed that doing violence to people with different beliefs is not actually acceptable, and those nations have stopped attacking other nations to take them over.

Whereas, we all know what happened in Europe while in the bosom of Christianity, right?

Want to have this discussion, do you? I've got real world information contrary to your desperate scrapings which couldn't even convince a moderately informed child.

Wortfish wrote: Theirs is a hate-filled ideology.

Yours is a hate-filled ideology and you're manifesting this right here by actively seeking out a group of people to denigrate.

Own goal chap.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 16, 2019 4:02 am

Do you believe in Vishnu, Wortfish?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 16, 2019 4:17 am

Wortfish wrote:

I was referring to the atheist Soviet takeover of the Russian Empire.

So, in other words, atheists didn't come to power in the 1920's.

Wortfish wrote:However, I could also have referred to the atheists of the French revolution who turned churches into wine cellars in the 1790s and executed thousands of priests.

Which wasn't in 1920... and they weren't atheists! :lol:

I always love watching Creationists revise history because not only does it expose them as ignorant and ideologically motivated bullshit artists, but it ensures that Creationists' anti-knowledge doctrine will be adversarial to yet more evidence-based fields which in turn will see them publicly humiliated in more arenas of discourse.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby Fallible » Dec 16, 2019 4:31 am

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Hate is the only possible explanation for the dogmatic anti-theism held by many atheists. It is driven by the belief that religion is a source of evil and ignorance that is holding back human progress and that the eradication of religion is both just and necessary.

You didn’t answer the question. If you don’t answer the question, you will become consigned to the bin labelled ‘troll’ and be left there. Your choice.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 16, 2019 5:39 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

He's obviously appealing to the Communists = Atheist canard ignorant Christians like to throw out so much.

Wortfish wrote:

I was referring to the atheist Soviet takeover of the Russian Empire. However, I could also have referred to the atheists of the French revolution who turned churches into wine cellars in the 1790s and executed thousands of priests.

QED :roll:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 16, 2019 5:41 am

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:

QED. Complete failure to actually answer the question has been noted.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism