Church of Atheism and atheist churches

Atheism as a pseudo-religion and cult

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

#1  Postby Wortfish » Dec 15, 2019 5:56 pm

Despite the claims that atheism is not a "religion", many atheists are adamant that they worship science and praise Mother Nature: https://nationalpost.com/news/church-of ... rt-decides

A self-styled “church of atheism” has been denied charity tax status after the Federal Court of Appeal agreed with the Minister of National Revenue that it is not actually a religion, even though it claims to have a minister, 10 commandments, and a worshipful relationship to the “sacred texts” of what it calls “mainstream science".

"Atheist churches" are springing up all across North American and Europe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21319945

There is a reading from Alice in Wonderland and a power-point presentation from a particle physicist, Dr Harry Cliff, who explains the origins of antimatter theory.

Atheism isn't just, as some here have framed it, a "lack of belief in god(s)". It is a cultural and social movement with its own fundamental tenets and beliefs. There are not just atheist churches, but atheist organizations, societies and foundations.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Church of Atheism and atheist churches

#2  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2019 6:01 pm

It is, at its core, a lack of belief in god(s). That is the universal commonality, and is therefore the most clear and concise definition. People can, of course, stack things on top of that.

I think it's hilarious that you're attempting to make a claim that atheism is a religion by pointing to an article where a federal court ruled that it isn't :lol: That's the whole of theistic argumentation in a nutshell -- try to foist your own weaknesses on others. Enjoy your crutch, you deserve each other.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Dec 15, 2019 6:12 pm

Yep, make yer mind up, Wortles. :lol:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Wortfish » Dec 15, 2019 6:17 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:It is, at its core, a lack of belief in god(s). That is the universal commonality, and is therefore the most clear and concise definition. People can, of course, stack things on top of that.

I think it's hilarious that you're attempting to make a claim that atheism is a religion by pointing to an article where a federal court ruled that it isn't :lol: That's the whole of theistic argumentation in a nutshell -- try to foist your own weaknesses on others. Enjoy your crutch, you deserve each other.

The court ruled that religion involves belief in the supernatural. But there are pantheists who only believe in the natural. Atheism and pantheism are inextricably intertwined. I would claim that atheism is properly a "pseudo-religion" like Marxism/Communism.

Let us not also forget that there is a strong anti-theism current in atheism which is just as pernicious and bigoted as the anti-semitism within the Labour party in the UK. Hatred is at the core of the atheist message.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Fallible » Dec 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Oh, and if I may draw Wortles’ attention to the first line of the quote he himself posted, what is described is “a self-styled ‘church of atheism’”. My dearest, this is the equivalent of a few oddities building a shack in the garden and calling themselves a church. Ask me if I belong to this ‘church’. Ask SAM. Why do you keep posting these things? You know you have nothing new.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Fallible » Dec 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Wortfish wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:It is, at its core, a lack of belief in god(s). That is the universal commonality, and is therefore the most clear and concise definition. People can, of course, stack things on top of that.

The court ruled that religion involves belief in the supernatural. But there are pantheists who only believe in the natural. Atheism and pantheism are inextricably intertwined. I would claim that atheism is properly a "pseudo-religion" like Marxism/Communism.

Let us not also forget that there is a strong anti-theism current in atheism which is just as pernicious and bigoted as the anti-semitism within the Labour party in the UK. Hatred is at the core of the atheist message.

And mendacity is at the core of yours, apparently. To what do we owe this pleasure, Wortles? Have you come a-trolling among the leaves so green, just as your ancestors went a-wassailing in the olden days during this merry Pagan festival they hijacked? Hmm? Or just at a loose end, so you thought you’d come and throw stones at the neighbours’ houses? Find something to do with yourself.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Wortfish » Dec 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Fallible wrote:
And mendacity is at the core of yours, apparently. To what do we owe this pleasure, Wortles? Have you come a-trolling among the leaves so green, just as your ancestors went a-wassailing in the olden days during this merry Pagan festival they hijacked? Hmm? Or just at a loose end, so you thought you’d come and throw stones at the neighbours’ houses? Find something to do with yourself.

Atheists love to attack, denigrate and mock religious belief. They are not simply content to have no belief in God. Ever since coming to power in the 1920s, atheists have waged an existential war against religion. The stated goal of prominent atheists, like Richard Dawkins, is the complete and utter extirpation of religious belief. Theirs is a hate-filled ideology.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Fallible » Dec 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Sure, sure. I love when you tell atheists what they are. Exemplifies your stupidity very effectively. Why do you think you should be given more credence than any other crackpot who wanders in?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Wortfish » Dec 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Fallible wrote:Sure, sure. I love when you tell atheists what they are. Exemplifies your stupidity very effectively. Why do you think you should be given more credence than any other crackpot who wanders in?

Let go of the hate. :smile:
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Atheists love to attack, denigrate and mock religious belief. They are not simply content to have no belief in God.

Says the guy who apparently isn't content to simply have their belief in god, choosing to come pester and attack atheists instead :lol:

Blow it out your hypocritical ass, Wortie. And thanks for, once again, making my point for me that you are guilty of everything you accuse of others. Standard theist tactics.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby newolder » Dec 15, 2019 6:47 pm

How will these new institutions based upon the lack of belief in someone else's imaginary friend(s) and that I won't be joining, affect my daily life?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Wortfish wrote:

You can claim whatever you like, the lack of any evidence has never stopped you before. It's a feature of theism, apparently, along with the belief that anyone should give the slightest shit what you choose to assert.

Says the guy with the religious belief that absolutely swims in anti-Semitism :lol: Gott mit uns!
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby felltoearth » Dec 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Pantheism isn’t a form of atheism. It’s a form of theism.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Fallible » Dec 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:Sure, sure. I love when you tell atheists what they are. Exemplifies your stupidity very effectively. Why do you think you should be given more credence than any other crackpot who wanders in?

Let go of the hate. :smile:

Answer the question. :) No, go on, answer it. Right now, I hold the view that you are completely incapable of giving a straightforward answer to any question posed to you, and are instead compelled by some unknown force to be constantly mendacious and nasty. You have a golden opportunity. Show me you can be honest, answer a question squarely, and I might start thinking of you as something other than a troll - one so blatant that he can trot onto a sceptics’ forum and roll out comments about hatred among atheists, when he alone is the one who has deliberately sought a community which does not hold his beliefs, and attempted to attack them for that reason and no other. Go on, Wortles.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby aban57 » Dec 15, 2019 7:12 pm

I was going to write an elaborate response to Wortfish, about how some atheists are denouncing the tax evasion religions benefit by exposing their hypocrisy in courts. Or about as human beings, we still need community, even when we don't believe in a god, and gathering under a banner, whatever it is, is necessary for a lot of people.

But then I remembered that Wortfish is just a regular bible-thumper, hypocritical as they tend to be, and part-time troll. So I guess I won't bother, he's not worth my time.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Seabass » Dec 15, 2019 7:59 pm

Atheists came to power in the 1920s?! Damn, I missed it! :whine:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

#17  Postby Seabass » Dec 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Atheists love to attack, denigrate and mock religious belief. They are not simply content to have no belief in God. Ever since coming to power in the 1920s, atheists have waged an existential war against religion. The stated goal of prominent atheists, like Richard Dawkins, is the complete and utter extirpation of religious belief. Theirs is a hate-filled ideology.

So should I convert to Islam and spread peace and love throughout the world? :ask:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

#18  Postby BlackBart » Dec 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Wait, what? There's a cult?! Godammit you guys leave me out of everything!!

Gits, the lot of you. :snooty:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Wortfish wrote:Despite the claims the fact that atheism is not a "religion", many some atheists are adamant that they worship science and praise Mother Nature: https://nationalpost.com/news/church-of ... rt-decides

Stop lying Wortfish.

Wortfish wrote:
Atheism isn't just, as some here have framed it, a "lack of belief in god(s)".

As has been explained to you multiple times, it's the only thing all atheists have in common.
Since this has been explained to you multiple times I can only take this thread as yet another vapid and pathetic trolling attempt.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Wortfish wrote:

The court ruled that religion involves belief in the supernatural. But there are pantheists who only believe in the natural.

Only in the misleading sense that they consider the divine to be natural.

Wortfish wrote: Atheism and pantheism are inextricably intertwined. I would claim that atheism is properly a "pseudo-religion" like Marxism/Communism.

You have an extensive record of making baseles, bullshit claims. You don't need to re-establish that in every new thread you post in.

Wortfish wrote: Let us not also forget that there is a strong anti-theism current in atheism which is just as pernicious and bigoted as the anti-semitism within the Labour party in the UK. Hatred is at the core of the atheist message.

More vapid trolling. :roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism