Confirmations of a Creator of the Universe

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Confirmations of a Creator of the Universe

#1  Postby scherado » Nov 13, 2018 1:50 am

scherado wrote:... The reason I asked will be revealed [in] a new thread. Oy.
(...)
Fallible wrote:Please, no.
(...) One assumes that a bold purple name isn't cheap!

Don't be silly. I don't have confirmation.

Some believe that everything is confirmation of a creator. This, hardly, compels belief. Let's admit that, if there were evidence that compels belief in rational people, then only cranks (and louts) would be Agnostics or Atheists.

We humans have been pondering the question since we could...cogitate, apparently, and many have looked off-Earth as well as on Earth. Has anyone asked what would constitute persuasive evidence in leui of The Big Cheese making an appearance? (Yes.) Now, you know the purpose of this thread. I will tell mine; you may tell us yours.

In no particular order:

1. Circular planetary and lunar orbits

B-b-b-b-b-b-but scherado, god could have created all of It, Shakey, Shakey, Shakey--Toss! and went off to play golf! for a trillion years

Yes, a long weekend for God.

"...
God wants silver
God wants gold
God wants his secret
Never to be told
..." - R.Waters, What God Wants, Part 2, off Amused To Death

2. [to be revealed later]

I set out to make a list, but it's not an easy task.

If you're not a believer, then what would constitute proof? (Again, other than an "appearance.")
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Confirmations of a Creator of the Universe

#2  Postby scott1328 » Nov 13, 2018 2:07 am

The constellations rearranged instantaneously to write across the heavens “I am the LORD thy God”
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Cirrhosis » Nov 13, 2018 2:17 am

scherado wrote:

[Snip]
If you're not a believer, then what would constitute proof? (Again, other than an "appearance.")

Is this a set up I see?
Whatever examples of 'proof' are offered will be followed immediately by 'Ah but how do you know it's god and not an advanced alien intelligence'?
Cirrhosis

Name: Bill Smith
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Nov 13, 2018 2:20 am

All amputees spontaneously regrow limbs overnight. All cancer sufferers are healed. My fucking arthritis goes away.

That would be a start.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby scherado » Nov 13, 2018 3:00 am

The message in the sky using matter is considered an appearance.

The question, I thought, excluded an appearance event.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby scherado » Nov 13, 2018 3:01 am

laklak wrote:All amputees spontaneously regrow limbs overnight. ...

That works for me, or would work.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby scott1328 » Nov 13, 2018 3:27 am

scherado wrote:The message in the sky using matter is considered an appearance.

Your stipulation was ambiguous.

Here’s another, compliments of Carl Sagan: starting in the base 11 expansion of pi, to find a 121 digit sequence consisting merely of 0’s and 1’s such that when those 121 digits are arranged in a 11x11 matrix, a pictogram I’d a circle appears. Other similar patterns are also discovered in other bases.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 13, 2018 4:38 am

I don't see why we need to exclude an appearance event. I would be perfectly satisfied if God just made a really obvious, straightforward appearance to everyone, show his power in a really obvious, straightforward way, and then told us what we're supposed to be doing in a really obvious, straightforward way. Apparently this is far too difficult for our creator god.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Macdoc » Nov 13, 2018 5:25 am

Y'know leaving your tongue stuck in cheek that long can lead to serious medical issues.... :coffee:

Might need remedial apparatus

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Arcanyn » Nov 13, 2018 9:00 am

scherado wrote:1. Circular planetary and lunar orbits

You mean elliptical.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 13, 2018 10:18 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I don't see why we need to exclude an appearance event. I would be perfectly satisfied if God just made a really obvious, straightforward appearance to everyone, show his power in a really obvious, straightforward way, and then told us what we're supposed to be doing in a really obvious, straightforward way. Apparently this is far too difficult for our creator god.

Well, now you just are contemplating 'power'. Never mind 'god', then. It's obvious why 'power' is so fascinating, not least because it has the advantage of finding a referent.

Otherwise, this just recapitulates everything you've been conditioned to expect of deities. Why do you take on the burden of history? I'm not saying you have no reason to do so, and only suggest that your new reasoning should include your reasoning for doing so.

In a way, this is trivial, because you have no other basis for making up shit about deities (or, about 'power') than what's already on the books. I can still ask, why would you want to embark on this shitpile?

What if deities are not about 'power', and are only about 'meaning'? Does 'meaning' bend any spoons where there are no ground apes?

scherado wrote:

For an intelligent way to address your question, see above. I have no idea what you want 'proof' of until you specify it. Please don't use what's already on the books. That's just a recapitulation of a grim history. Miracles? Or just extreme improbabilities?

Miracles are (or should be) about stuff that isn't even merely improbable. Miracles are about stuff that can't otherwise happen without the intervention of a deity. For circular definition, see "circular definition".

scott1328 wrote:
scherado wrote:The message in the sky using matter is considered an appearance.

Your stipulation was ambiguous.

Dare i say, "necessarily so"?

Thommo wrote:Deists believe there is a god. In the sense of the word "theist" as used above, deists are theists.

Although it would take wilful obfuscation to confuse the issue by trying to use qualitative labels to convey strict entailment.

They don't denote, but so what? As long as we don't specify, we can say, "I hold no belief". Theists and deists don't denote, either. Don't take them seriously.

scherado wrote:
laklak wrote:All amputees spontaneously regrow limbs overnight. ...

That works for me, or would work.

it's actually possible, but improbable. How is it we came to associate improbable events with 'deities'?

Don't like the probabilities? Fuck off, then. Do you even get it when someone says, "there are no deities"? It's based on the pathetic definitions you've used, borrowing the burdens of history to compensate for an extreme fucking lack of imagination. If you don't have a bunch of preconceived notions about how a deity should appear, then you don't.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Nov 13, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#12  Postby TopCat » Nov 13, 2018 11:01 am

laklak wrote:All amputees spontaneously regrow limbs overnight. All cancer sufferers are healed. My fucking arthritis goes away.

Actually, if we all woke up one morning, and, with no warning, the above had happened, I don't think it would at all be evidence of the existence of a deity, much less any of the deities currently believed in by adherents of the world's current religions.

It would be extremely out of character for said deities, especially given the supposedly immutable nature of their sacred texts.

It would be much more likely to signal the arrival of a very benevolent, very advanced alien civilisation, fixing something very wrong, that any deity worth its salt would never have allowed to go wrong in the first place.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 13, 2018 11:03 am

TopCat wrote:
laklak wrote:All amputees spontaneously regrow limbs overnight. All cancer sufferers are healed. My fucking arthritis goes away.

Actually, if we all woke up one morning, and, with no warning, the above had happened, I don't think it would at all be evidence of the existence of a deity, much less any of the deities currently believed in by adherents of the world's current religions.

It would be extremely out of character for said deities, especially given the supposedly immutable nature of their sacred texts.

It would be much more likely to signal the arrival of a very benevolent, very advanced alien civilisation, fixing something very wrong, that any deity worth its salt would never have allowed to go wrong in the first place.

Would it be better if there had been a warning that something was about to happen? Written in fiery letters? "In the sky. Lord, in the sky."

Immutability of sacred texts? Why take on the burden of history? Because you want to? Great!

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#14  Postby BlackBart » Nov 13, 2018 11:05 am

Any sufficiently advanced technology and all that...

The ability to vaporise a city or even to talk to someone in the next village would confirmation of a God to a medieval peasant.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 13, 2018 11:06 am

BlackBart wrote:Any sufficiently advanced technology and all that...

The ability to vaporise a city or even to talk to someone in the next village would confirmation of a God to a medieval peasant.

God as "power". We get to specify the degree. That is, we make up god to be whatever the fuck we want.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Nov 13, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Fallible » Nov 13, 2018 11:07 am

scherado wrote:
scherado wrote:... The reason I asked will be revealed [in] a new thread. Oy.
(...)
Fallible wrote:Please, no.
(...) One assumes that a bold purple name isn't cheap!

Does one, indeed. Perhaps one shouldn't assume so much. You know what they say it makes of you.

Don't be silly. I don't have confirmation.

Some believe that everything is confirmation of a creator. This, hardly, compels belief. Let's admit that, if there were evidence that compels belief in rational people, then only cranks (and louts) would be Agnostics or Atheists.

We humans have been pondering the question since we could...cogitate, apparently, and many have looked off-Earth as well as on Earth. Has anyone asked what would constitute persuasive evidence in leui of The Big Cheese making an appearance? (Yes.) Now, you know the purpose of this thread. I will tell mine; you may tell us yours.

In no particular order:

1. Circular planetary and lunar orbits

B-b-b-b-b-b-but scherado, god could have created all of It, Shakey, Shakey, Shakey--Toss! and went off to play golf! for a trillion years

Yes, a long weekend for God.

"...
God wants silver
God wants gold
God wants his secret
Never to be told
..." - R.Waters, What God Wants, Part 2, off Amused To Death

2. [to be revealed later]

I set out to make a list, but it's not an easy task.

You should probably define 'creator'. Then you should consider that the existence of something other than the thing you're looking for 'proof' of is never going to class as 'proof' of that thing.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby TopCat » Nov 13, 2018 11:14 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
TopCat wrote:

Would it be better if there had been a warning that something was about to happen? Written in fiery letters? "In the sky. Lord, in the sky."

Well, of course. If you have prior knowledge that something extremely unlikely is about to happen, and you predict it, and it happens, then it's a lot more impressive than if you hadn't predicted it. It's at least a suggestion that the unlikely thing wasn't random.

'Better', but not necessarily good enough. If someone started successfully predicting lottery numbers, we'd initially put it down to skulduggery before we thought they could actually predict the future. But if it was genuine, then eventually the efforts to falsify would fail enough for actual future prediction to be the best explanation of the observations.

Immutability of sacred texts? Why take on the burden of history? Because you want to? Great!

Not sure what you mean here - I said 'supposedly' immutable - as claimed by the religious adherents. If God hasn't been regrowing amputated limbs for the last 4000 years, why would he start now?
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 13, 2018 11:25 am

TopCat wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Well, of course. If you have prior knowledge that something extremely unlikely is about to happen, and you predict it, and it happens, then it's a lot more impressive than if you hadn't predicted it. It's at least a suggestion that the unlikely thing wasn't random.

Well, especially if it wasn't random, we could still try to explain it using scientific methods. Don't assume an event has no scientific explanation. That's just an 'unexplained' event, and there is no need to invoke miracles.

What you mean is that the 'prior knowledge' is a miracle, but even if you have no explanation for the prior knowledge, don't imagine that somebody has not been hiding his cards. There aren't any fucking miracles. There are only unexplained events.

In order for there to be miracles, you have to assume miracles are in the cards. Don't be spooked by the burden of history.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Hermit » Nov 13, 2018 11:29 am

scherado wrote:Has anyone asked what would constitute persuasive evidence in leui of The Big Cheese making an appearance? (Yes.) Now, you know the purpose of this thread. I will tell mine; you may tell us yours. ... If you're not a believer, then what would constitute proof? (Again, other than an "appearance.")

To begin, let me suggest you check out both spelling and meaning of lieu.

Yes, I have asked myself what would constitute persuasive evidence of The Big Cheese making an appearance, and I have come up with two answers approximately 40 years ago. Which one applies depends on what brand of big cheese you're asking about. Do you have the personally meddlesome, interfering type in mind or the sort metaphorically referred to as 'the divine watchmaker'?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am

Hermit wrote:or the sort metaphorically referred to as 'the divine watchmaker'?

The "divine watchmaker" is a substitute for not understanding probability, or else for not understanding that 'existence' carries no referent, that is, by assuming that everything that exists has to be 'made'.

The latter only implies a failure of intellect, including an analysis of what 'manufacture' denotes. That's what 'creator' signfiies, and calling it 'divine watchmaker' does not solve the problem.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism