Confusing a feeling of awe at the universe with spirituality

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Confusing a feeling of awe at the universe with spirituality

#1  Postby murshid » Mar 31, 2017 2:10 pm

I was watching this video:

https://www.facebook.com/MissMayim/videos/10158505486470008/

And I wondered why so many people (even smart people) conflate the feeling of awe and admiration at the magnificence of the universe with spirituality or a relationship with God(s).

(Edited to correct the video link.)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Confusing a feeling of awe at the universe with spirituality

#2  Postby Alan B » Mar 31, 2017 4:58 pm

I think this 'spirituality' is a proportional response to the lack of knowledge of that in which one is in awe - regardless of a science or any other background.

I don't understand it, therefore god... :scratch:

But one can still be in awe (of the the Universe, for example) and not resort to 'spirituality'.

:think:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby murshid » Mar 31, 2017 5:08 pm

Alan B wrote:But one can still be in awe (of the the Universe, for example) and not resort to 'spirituality'.

My point exactly.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Dark energy » Apr 01, 2017 12:19 am

No,God tells us to ponder over the vast of the universe so that we can try to understand his greatness.
And."
Dark energy

Name: dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 01, 2017 1:01 am

Dark energy wrote:No,God tells us to ponder over the vast of the universe so that we can try to understand his greatness.

"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Apr 01, 2017 1:17 am

Dark energy wrote:No,God tells us to ponder over the vast of the universe so that we can try to understand his greatness.

Why is it that those who do the most pondering and glean the most understanding of this vastness are the ones least likely to believe?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Macdoc » Apr 01, 2017 2:06 am

No,God tells us to ponder over the vast of the universe so that we can try to understand his greatness.

Don't include others in your delusions ...they have drugs to fix some things but u can't cure stupid. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Arcanyn » Apr 01, 2017 2:31 am

How narcissistic.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Apr 01, 2017 5:31 am

What a sad, needy little individual this god thingy would have to be.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby BlackBart » Apr 01, 2017 6:26 am

Why is the word God written as G-d on the subtitles to that video? :scratch:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby crank » Apr 01, 2017 7:17 am

From a site, jewfaq.org :rofl: :
G-d
A way of avoiding writing a name of G-d, to avoid the risk of the sin of erasing or defacing the Name.

It should be a minus sign in there, there sure ain't much positive about a god. How is removing one letter from a name and replacing it with a mark not defacing the name?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 01, 2017 8:04 am

crank wrote:From a site, jewfaq.org :rofl: :
G-d
A way of avoiding writing a name of G-d, to avoid the risk of the sin of erasing or defacing the Name.

It should be a minus sign in there, there sure ain't much positive about a god. How is removing one letter from a name and replacing it with a mark not defacing the name?

Because of mental gymnastics, just like this guy:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby BlackBart » Apr 01, 2017 8:20 am

So, they avoid defacing the name by defacing the name. Derp.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Alan B » Apr 01, 2017 8:39 am

crank wrote:From a site, jewfaq.org :rofl: :
G-d

'Cos vowels are Eeevil!

E.g. YWH. :snooty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Alan B » Apr 01, 2017 8:44 am

No, it bloody doesn't. Not until you can provide evidence of it's existence. Until then, all theists can do is spout bollocks regarding their deity.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tuco » Apr 01, 2017 9:10 am

She explains it in the vid. For her God is a cultural and psychological metaphor and religion is ethical framework. Spirituality, without generally understood and accepted definition, is basically useless term to debate.

From here:

Albert Einstein, Living Philosophies wrote:The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead —his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.

Its like mysterious and mystical.
tuco

Print view this post

#17  Postby murshid » Apr 01, 2017 12:13 pm

I don't understand how people can rationally leap from "I am awestruck by the universe" to "I am experiencing God".
Last edited by murshid on Apr 01, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
murshid

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Apr 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Neither do I and my conclusion is: a) I do not understand many things, b) people are different, c) I do not need to understand everything/one.

I do not understand people who dont like MIDI for example :P

j/k of course

---
edit: rationally leap? Hardly but then I suspect we find us debating what "rationally" means. Was her explanation, for example, rational? I think so as there was no leap but post hoc rationalization of her belief system.
Last edited by tuco on Apr 01, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby Alan B » Apr 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Ah, yes. midi...
Boohoo

Suitably awestruck.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby BlackBart » Apr 01, 2017 12:43 pm

murshid wrote:I don't understand how people can rationally leap from "I am awestruck by the universe" to "I am experiencing God".

I suspect there's a certain amount of "I don't really believe any of this shit, but I don't want to upset or offend members of my family and community so I'll equivocate and describe a vague pantheistic 'God' and say I believe in that without coming up with an out and out lie."
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism