Do You Promote Atheism?

Is it a moral obligation?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#361  Postby Sendraks » Feb 04, 2017 1:27 pm

Dark energy wrote:thomas,so,you want to convince me that we just emerged in this complex universe? out of randomness.


What do you mean by "out of randomness"?

In fact - what do you think "random" means?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 12917
Age: 100
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#362  Postby Dark energy » Feb 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:You are deeply wrong, Dark energy.



I will follow you to the right path :ask: if you give me some hints. :lol:
Dark energy
 
Name: dark energy
Posts: 87

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#363  Postby Dark energy » Feb 04, 2017 1:35 pm

random means as far i can understand something/phenomena which we can not predict the outcome for example something which occurs with out definite pattern.
Dark energy
 
Name: dark energy
Posts: 87

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#364  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Dark energy wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:You are deeply wrong, Dark energy.



I will follow you to the right path :ask: if you give me some hints. :lol:


I wasn't suggesting the path you're on is wrong. You do you. What I am saying in you're wrong to believe all atheists are believers deep down. Some are just as some people of faith are actually nonbelievers. Lots of us just aren't though. We don't believe in a higher power. That's it and it's ok.

I not even certain what you were asking me to provide you with hints to.
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: a certain type of girl
Posts: 10818
Age: 28
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#365  Postby NuclMan » Feb 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Dark energy wrote:thomas,so,you want to convince me that we just emerged in this complex universe? out of randomness.

Likely not, because it has fuck all to do with Atheism
NuclMan
 
Posts: 666

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#366  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Random in this context does not mean something occurring entirely by chance
but rather a specific outcome based on the sum total of all possible outcomes
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 8167

Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#367  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Dark energy wrote:thomas,so,you want to convince me that we just emerged in this complex universe? out of randomness.

Several problems with your response:

1. I have not made any claims about the universe of humanity.
2. You're the one who claims it is created. The burden of proof therefore lies with you, not with those who don't accept your claim.
3. Define ' complex universe'.
4. Define randomness.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 25456
Age: 27
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#368  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Dark energy wrote:random means as far i can understand something/phenomena which we can not predict the outcome for example something which occurs with out definite pattern.

Since we have only one universe no-one has any basis to declare whether it occurs within or without a pattern.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 25456
Age: 27
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#369  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Dark energy wrote:random means as far i can understand something/phenomena which we can not predict the outcome for example something which occurs with out definite pattern.

Then the universe isn't random, because it demonstrably follows the laws of physics.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 9466
Age: 37
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#370  Postby Dark energy » Feb 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Dark energy wrote:thomas,so,you want to convince me that we just emerged in this complex universe? out of randomness.

Several problems with your response:

1. I have not made any claims about the universe of humanity.
2. You're the one who claims it is created. The burden of proof therefore lies with you, not with those who don't accept your claim.

well,it is not created i will not believe in a trillion years that it just came out of nowwhere or always existed or through evolution and other stuff .



3. Define ' complex universe'.
a universe which is thought to be governed by physics laws yet some times there laws break down at some points near blackholes,relativistic speeds is a fairly a complex one.the scale are mind blogging to the point that many different difinitions exist for the universe.
GOD is simple,one enity but the universe is not.

.
Dark energy
 
Name: dark energy
Posts: 87

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#371  Postby Fallible » Feb 04, 2017 7:37 pm

No, God is supposedly an entity that always existed, but which is complex enough to have created a universe, which you see as being too complex to have always existed. For some reason, you prefer to believe this even more unbelievable scenario. That you will believe that, but won't believe something else, isn't anyone else's problem.
Arcade Fire wrote:Afterlife. I think I saw what happens next. It was just a glimpse of you like looking through a window or a shallow sea. Could you see me?
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 41524
Age: 44
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#372  Postby Pebble » Feb 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Dark energy wrote:thomas,so,you want to convince me that we just emerged in this complex universe? out of randomness.


When it comes to the origin of the universe - ignorance is the default position. One can have hypotheses, but that is as far as it goes.
What is your problem with ignorance? Inventing unfalsifiable explanations is not progress toward an answer.
Pebble
 
Posts: 2409

Country: UK
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#373  Postby THWOTH » Feb 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Some of my best friends are random.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 36871
Age: 51

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#374  Postby Macdoc » Feb 04, 2017 11:03 pm

some seem to need a soother..
Image

against the cold uncaring universe :roll:

:coffee:
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 10476
Age: 69
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#375  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Please use the quote function properly.
Dark energy wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Dark energy wrote:thomas,so,you want to convince me that we just emerged in this complex universe? out of randomness.

Several problems with your response:

1. I have not made any claims about the universe of humanity.
2. You're the one who claims it is created. The burden of proof therefore lies with you, not with those who don't accept your claim.


well,it is not created i will not believe in a trillion years that it just came out of nowwhere or always existed or through evolution and other stuff .

1. That's a false dichotomy.
2. What you believe is irrelevant. Reality isn't based on what either of us believe.
3. You're claiming it is created, it is therefore up to you to demonstrate that it is. Saying you cannot image another option is neither evidence nor a sound argument.


Dark energy wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
3. Define ' complex universe'.

a universe which is thought to be governed by physics laws yet some times there laws break down at some points near blackholes,relativistic speeds is a fairly a complex one.the scale are mind blogging to the point that many different difinitions exist for the universe.

You haven't actually explained what is complex about. Just asserted it again.

Dark energy wrote:GOD is simple,one enity but the universe is not.

God is a nebulous concept.
'Goddidit' is not answer. It explains nothing.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 25456
Age: 27
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#376  Postby BWE » Feb 05, 2017 12:43 am

Dark energy wrote:thomas,so,you want to convince me that we just emerged in this complex universe? out of randomness.

Aren't you a peach. How about you believe whatever you like and let others do the same?
User avatar
BWE
 
Posts: 1924

Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#377  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 05, 2017 10:43 am

Dark energy wrote:random means as far i can understand


not far enough
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Ivar Poäng
Posts: 23441
Age: 6
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#378  Postby Briton » Feb 15, 2017 6:46 pm

I have promoted an atheist viewpoint but I've just seen this;

https://oddshot.tv/s/GEPMcz

Have I been wrong all along?
User avatar
Briton
 
Posts: 3889

Country: UK
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#379  Postby quas » Feb 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Dark energy wrote:thomas,so,you want to convince me that we just emerged in this complex universe? out of randomness.


So you want to believe that there is a creator who created us unequal and somehow still loves us all equally?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2313

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests