Do You Promote Atheism?

Is it a moral obligation?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Do You Promote Atheism?

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 17, 2016 11:16 pm

I think that belief in gods excuses humanity from caring for each other and the planet, as they rely on gods to take care of things. I think that the doctrine of hell is a terrible blightcondemning millions to lives of servitude and terror. I think that belief in gods is divisive and inherently bad for civilisation.

Shouldn't one evangelise (right word?) atheism? How?
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician. Clean and dry as of 18/7/2017.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Do You Promote Atheism?

#2  Postby tuco » Jul 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Without "right word", proper definitions, this thread is bound to end up like the other one about "new atheists" and "atheist cause".

I will take a guess that evangelize is not right word tho ;)

To answer the question. Do I promote ... I dunno really, do you think I promote?
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 17, 2016 11:39 pm

verb: evangelise
convert or seek to convert (someone) to Christianity.
"some small groups have been evangelized by Protestant missionaries"
synonyms: convert, proselytize, bring to God/Christ/Jesus, bring into the fold, redeem, save, make someone change their beliefs/mind, make someone see the light, spread the gospel/faith/word (to), preach (to), seek/make converts (among), act as a missionary; More
preach the gospel.
"the Church has a mission to evangelize and declare the faith"

Not the right word then. Just stick with "Promote Atheism".
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician. Clean and dry as of 18/7/2017.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Jul 17, 2016 11:42 pm

I sometimes argue with idiots, when I forget that it's a pointless exercise.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 17, 2016 11:44 pm

Maybe it's not pointless - maybe you chip away at their beliefs. There are lots of people around who have been persuaded of atheism's veracity - if that weren't true there would be no atheists.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Jul 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Perhaps some people are persuaded, I wasn't. I knew it was a load of horseshit the first time I went to Sunday School at age 6 or thereabouts. I was lucky, though, my parents didn't push religion on me at all, they let me make up my own mind. I didn't realize there was such a thing as an "atheist" till I was older, I just figured there were a lot of stupid people about who believed a bunch of stupid nonsense.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 17, 2016 11:51 pm

As in, go out of my way? No.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 17, 2016 11:52 pm

Do you think theism is bad for civilisation?

:edit: typo
Last edited by Keep It Real on Jul 17, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Jul 17, 2016 11:55 pm

Not really, I think we still need it. Haven't you heard theists argue that without God everybody would be raping and murdering? They're talking about themselves when they say that. Not everyone can keep an even keel without the carrot of Heaven and the stick of Hell. Of course some people take it too far, as we see every day.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 17, 2016 11:59 pm

laklak wrote:Perhaps some people are persuaded, I wasn't. I knew it was a load of horseshit the first time I went to Sunday School at age 6 or thereabouts. I was lucky, though, my parents didn't push religion on me at all, they let me make up my own mind. I didn't realize there was such a thing as an "atheist" till I was older, I just figured there were a lot of stupid people about who believed a bunch of stupid nonsense.

Of course you're right - some people just work it out on their own. I asked my mother when I was around that age if she believed in god. No, she said, there's no evidence for him. That was it for me. Still waiting on evidence.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 18, 2016 12:00 am

Keep It Real wrote:Do you think theism is bad for civilisation?

:edit: typo

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. When you've seen enough people argue that they don't know why they shouldn't hurt or kill people if the Ten Commandments didn't tell them so, you start to wonder how many psychopaths have been kept in check.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Jul 18, 2016 12:01 am

That's probably why the aliens don't land, they know 90% of the population will go batshit.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 18, 2016 12:03 am

Atheists only make up 0.2% of the US prison population - so the evidence suggests that atheists are less likely to rape; murder etc.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Jul 18, 2016 12:10 am

That's probably one reason we're atheists in the first place, we don't need no stinking Commandments.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 18, 2016 12:10 am

Oop, my internet's slow as shit today, didn't see you make the same point laklak :thumbup:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 18, 2016 12:12 am

I think everybody has been told by an authority figure at one time or another "rape is wrong". What's the difference between living by that instruction rather than the words of a preacher? Nobody needs the ten commandments IMO - I'm surprised you disagree!
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#17  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 18, 2016 12:15 am

Keep It Real wrote:Atheists only make up 0.2% of the US prison population - so the evidence suggests that atheists are less likely to rape; murder etc.

Parole officers love a good religious conversion! It doest bring up the question of how many people who say they believe actually believe in anything. My brother's paid lip service to it for as long as I can remember, but I've never seen him in a church or making a decision based on religious belief.

Then there's my one relative who's openly atheist, didn't seem to have any effect on his predilection for bigotry and conspiracy theories.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 18, 2016 12:17 am

Keep It Real wrote:I think everybody has been told by an authority figure at one time or another "rape is wrong". What's the difference between living by that instruction rather than the words of a preacher? Nobody needs the ten commandments IMO - I'm surprised you disagree!

Difference is, I can tell you why rape is wrong. As I said, I've seen some startling shit on this forum, theists claiming there's no reason for them to not go out and rape and murder unless there was the rules of God hanging over them.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 18, 2016 12:20 am

I can see you might be making the point that if they weren't told that they shouldn't rape because God Reasons from the get-go, they'd be fine. You may have a point, but me preaching the Word Of Dog isn't going to change that.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 18, 2016 12:24 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:I think everybody has been told by an authority figure at one time or another "rape is wrong". What's the difference between living by that instruction rather than the words of a preacher? Nobody needs the ten commandments IMO - I'm surprised you disagree!

Difference is, I can tell you why rape is wrong. As I said, I've seen some startling shit on this forum, theists claiming there's no reason for them to not go out and rape and murder unless there was the rules of God hanging over them.

I reckon they just say that shit because they're defending their belief - making out like it's necessary. You call it startling stuff but in the next breath you actually agree with them!I doubt they're complete strangers to moral reasoning and empathy. They wouldn't torture a puppy but there's no commandment against it.

Something of an aside, but does it actually say in the bible that rape is a sin? Can't quote that one from memory.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism