Evolution, creationism, Hitler and Christianity

Aronra points out the obvious once again

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Evolution, creationism, Hitler and Christianity

#1  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 10, 2015 6:57 pm

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Evolution, creationism, Hitler and Christianity

#2  Postby Rumraket » Feb 10, 2015 8:33 pm

:thumbup:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Feb 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Thorough debunking.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Feb 13, 2015 2:47 am

When I first started tutoring at Murdoch university, all tutors had to do an orientation course, part of which consisted of "Indigenous awareness". In most years, one had to repeat the course to 're-qualify".

I was shocked by these lectures because two things stood out:-
1. A lack of awareness of science, and often a hostility towards science in the indigenous lecturers teaching the IA course.
2. Specifically, anti-Darwinism, and a misunderstanding of Social vs biological Darwinism.

Now these folks were dedicated educators. And then it struck me. Most had had a some stage, a religious mission education.

The same fallacies that Aronra exposed were believed by these people. Naturally I challenged such view by talking facts. How could the Pinjarra massacre, where 80 Aboriginals were killed by Governor Stirling's punitive expedition in 1834, and other barbarous killing events of indigenous peoples that happened before well before 1834, have been inspired by Darwin's theory of BIOLOGICAL evolution in 1858/1859?
It was Herbert Spencer who coined the term 'social darwinism", which in any case was political/social theory and not biological science.
To their credit, these folks to these ideas on board. But such widespread ignorance, even among academics, is to be deplored.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Return to Nontheism