Fasting for atheists

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, amok, DarthHelmet86, Matt8819

Fasting for atheists

#1  Postby Simon_Gardner » Oct 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Fasting for atheists

#2  Postby HomerJay » Oct 22, 2012 6:44 pm

For reasons like this, I thought fasting was worth a try and Navratri – literally meaning nine nights in Sanskrit – looked like a good model. It heralds the start of autumn, and is dedicated to Shakti, the deity responsible for creation. My rules were that I would eat three meals a day, with no snacking in between of any kind.

The whole article is just some bullshit puff for wankery.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby MrFungus420 » Oct 23, 2012 1:50 am

Can this be renamed to something like "Fasting by someone too stupid to understand what "fasting" means"?
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Oct 23, 2012 2:00 am

I only eat two meals a day, and rarely snack. I'm probably already a Buddha or something.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby orpheus » Oct 23, 2012 2:03 am

Actually, leave out his misuse of the word "fasting", and he makes an important point about paying attention to what one is doing, rather than going on autopilot. That's something a daily meditation practice has helped me with and it really has enriched my life. Nothing woo-ish about this at all.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby orpheus » Oct 23, 2012 2:09 am

I just skimmed some of the comments in the article. It is unfortunate that he called it a "fast", and that his tone was kind of pretentious, and that it wasn't that well-written. He did have a worthwhile point, as I said in my last post, but it's gotten completely lost. Most people have (understandably) focused on the other stuff.

Sadly, some have also latched onto his atheism, and have used this as an example of how atheists are pretentious idiots. He didn't do atheism any favors with this one.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 23, 2012 2:22 am

I wouldn't be surprised if fasting had some health benefits. We are probably adapted to expect them from time to time due to lack of availability to food.
"Infinite loop?! I don't have time for that!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby zulumoose » Oct 23, 2012 6:44 am

Logically (without knowing the biology, just surmising) I would think that most animals are adapted for irregular diets, and our ridiculous amount of fat storage shows how out of whack todays lifestyle is with regard to food availability and sedentary lifestyle. Fasting has unfortunate religious connections, but probably does have a place in a healthy lifestyle.

I wonder whether part of societies fat problem is that without occasional hunger, our bodies not only lose the need to tap into their fat reserves, but also lose some of the ability to do so, contributing to the extremely high failure rate of diets.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Sendraks » Oct 23, 2012 8:40 am

zulumoose wrote: Fasting has unfortunate religious connections, but probably does have a place in a healthy lifestyle.

I would suggest that "fasting" between meals is probably a good idea, as is having a sensible, balanced, low fat/low sugar diet and taking lots of regular exercise.

I'm not convinced of the benefits of engaging in any sort of lengthy fasting.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: Giles
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Darkchilde » Oct 23, 2012 10:37 am

I eat 3 times per day, with no snacking in between. He said in the article:

My rules were that I would eat three meals a day, with no snacking in between of any kind. I would forgo meat, seafood and dairy products and would not drink alcohol or eat sweets or cakes.

It is fasting, because he gives up meat, seafood and dairy products; it is the kind of fasting people do in Greece for 40 days before Easter. I hate Easter in Greece, especially the week before Easter, it's one of the worst weeks to be in Greece. At least for me.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby HomerJay » Oct 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Darkchilde wrote:I eat 3 times per day, with no snacking in between. He said in the article:

My rules were that I would eat three meals a day, with no snacking in between of any kind. I would forgo meat, seafood and dairy products and would not drink alcohol or eat sweets or cakes.

It is fasting, because he gives up meat, seafood and dairy products

It is not fasting cos he has three meals a day.

We want to see a bit more commitment, he's just abstaining ATM.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Darkchilde » Oct 23, 2012 12:40 pm

In Greece, it's called fasting. You can eat as much as you like, just not certain foods.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby zulumoose » Oct 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Islam also has fasting where you can eat as much as you like, just not while the sun is up.

Fasting doesn't mean having to starve.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#14  Postby HomerJay » Oct 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Darkchilde wrote:In Greece, it's called fasting. You can eat as much as you like, just not certain foods.

In England it's called the F-Plan.

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Nontheism