Ghosts? Why the Hell Not?

Always After Me Lucky Charms

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Ghosts? Why the Hell Not?

#1  Postby pelfdaddy » Jul 02, 2017 6:01 pm

I was unable to get through the first two paragraphs of a news article in Today's Omaha World Herald. I am not usually a person of strong emotions, but the truth is I simply cannot read further.

It seems that children in Tanzania who are born with albinism are considered ghosts whose limbs serve as good luck talismans for anyone who hunts them down and hacks away at them. Some are living in the US currently, missing pieces of themselves as they await--I dunno, placement with a host family or foster parents, I guess.

There is NOTHING a religious person can say...I REPEAT--NOTHING a religious person can say to such a culture (such as, "No! Ghosts are bullshit, and lucky charms are bullshit, and you need to stop this bullshit right now, because it's bullshit!) by way of rebuke, because everything about their own backward ideas tacitly supports the unthinkable practices of these blubbering fools.

I mean, Shit! Maybe there really ARE ghosts, and maybe there is such a thing as good luck residing inside an object. I mean, why the fuck not?
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ghosts? Why the Hell Not?

#2  Postby theropod » Jul 02, 2017 10:53 pm

District 9 in real life. One of the most disgusting things I have ever heard of.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby pelfdaddy » Jul 03, 2017 2:21 am

Agreed. Apparently we are talking about little kids who are actually hunted down and caught, their extremities or limbs amputated, and...aw hell, I can't talk about it.

It's just that I cannot see any room for people who believe in the supernatural to argue "Well, science really can't speak on the subject of God", and "There are some things that we may never understand..." to justify their own personal beliefs by appeals to such fuzzy mysteries; and then be repulsed by criminally superstitious customs like hunting albino children.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 03, 2017 2:26 am

That sure is something, how a certain imagined set of circumstances can bring you to such a dark place. For me, it's my boys. I truly fear the hell I would unleash on whoever hurts them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Manticore » Jul 03, 2017 5:44 am

I don't know who invented that tale, but it's complete and utter bollox.
The existence of just one racist is proof that there exists at least one person who could be reasonably classified as sub-human.
Manticore

Tanzania (tz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby zulumoose » Jul 03, 2017 8:27 am

It is not bollox in South Africa.

Albinos are valued as ingredients of "muthi" or traditional witch doctors potions. While there are many traditional healers who stick to herbs and other acceptable ingredients, there are the other type as well, and belief in their magical powers is widespread. Muthi murders of children in particular are not that uncommon. Childrens body parts are put in the foundations of buildings to make the businesses more profitable, and other such nonsense.

Here is our own president on the subject, displaying for all his wisdom on the subject of rapists and witch doctors potions.

"give them muti so that they can have girlfriends and not go out and rape"

Yes, rapists are only a problem because they don't have girlfriends, and magic potions can solve that, never mind the welfare of the women who become girlfriends because of "magic" to men who would otherwise be rapists.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Manticore » Jul 03, 2017 8:39 am

The only case I know of in Tanzania was several years ago. A gang came from outside Tanzania and attempted to lure albinos to a room they had rented. They were nailed by a police sting operation.
The existence of just one racist is proof that there exists at least one person who could be reasonably classified as sub-human.
Manticore

Tanzania (tz)
Print view this post

#8  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 03, 2017 11:30 am

pelfdaddy wrote:...
I mean, Shit! Maybe there really ARE ghosts, and maybe there is such a thing as good luck residing inside an object. I mean, why the fuck not?

Your post was fine until this last sentence spoiled it all, and I would turn it around, and ask "why the fuck would there be ghosts, etc?

EDIT: The only ''reality" to ghosts is in the minds of the haunted. I think this has been scientifically demonstrated! :devil: )
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Also, pelfdaddy, if you believe in ghosts, ot isn't too much of a stretch to believe in god(s), is it?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby pelfdaddy » Jul 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Yea, well... I had hoped the irony in my statement would demonstrate exactly what you say, which is of course correct.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Nontheism