24%
Four to Six
2%
Seven to Nine
2%
Ten or more
No votes

Total votes : 46

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#181  Postby The Apistevist » Apr 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Inadvertently, just one: my brother. I tend not to discuss my views with most family members. They're conservative Christians.
The Apistevist

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#182  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Me in neighbouring town earlier today walking past JW stand:

me - "Oh, you're here as well then..."

him - "would you care to take a look at this booklet?" - hands me booklet entitled What does the bible teach us.

me - "what does the bible teach us...not to wear mixed fabrics?" - seriously pissed off expressions materialise on the two female JWs faces.

me - "I'll take it and read it - haven't read a book in ages, I'm stuck on the net mostly these days. So you lot are here too, you're all over my home town like a rash."

him - "we don't really like that phrase."

me - "gota go, tara" - walk off.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#183  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 12, 2018 9:36 am

Keep It Real wrote:Me in neighbouring town earlier today walking past JW stand:

me - "Oh, you're here as well then..."

him - "would you care to take a look at this booklet?" - hands me booklet entitled What does the bible teach us.

me - "what does the bible teach us...not to wear mixed fabrics?" - seriously pissed off expressions materialise on the two female JWs faces.

me - "I'll take it and read it - haven't read a book in ages, I'm stuck on the net mostly these days. So you lot are here too, you're all over my home town like a rash."

him - "we don't really like that phrase."

me - "gota go, tara" - walk off.

Well done. You're lucky. The JWs in my neck of the woods cannot be presumed to speak English. That this saves me a certain amount of wasted energy I can dump here is not lost on me.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#184  Postby zulumoose » Jun 12, 2018 10:24 am

Last JW that approached me was at pains to say that people are wrong to dismiss them for "not believing in Jesus" since they do actually believe in Jesus. She was a bit taken aback when I told her that I didn't.

I didn't realise it was a thing that they are rejected by other Christians for allegedly not taking Jesus seriously.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#185  Postby Fallible » Jun 12, 2018 10:42 am

Now all they need to do is extend that not-taking-seriously thing to the rest of it.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#186  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 12, 2018 10:57 am

zulumoose wrote:Last JW that approached me was at pains to say that people are wrong to dismiss them for "not believing in Jesus" since they do actually believe in Jesus. She was a bit taken aback when I told her that I didn't.

I didn't realise it was a thing that they are rejected by other Christians for allegedly not taking Jesus seriously.

It's similar how some protestants think catholicism isn't Christian.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#187  Postby Wortfish » Sep 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Don't know about "convereted", but I have sown many doubts in the minds of atheists and agnostics.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#188  Postby laklak » Sep 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Not here.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#189  Postby hackenslash » Sep 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Wortfish wrote:Don't know about "convereted", but I have sown many doubts in the minds of atheists and agnostics.

Have you, indeed? Do tell.

I'm not sure how many decons I have, but well inti the tens if dispatches are to be believed.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#190  Postby fluttermoth » Sep 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Wortfish wrote:Don't know about "convereted", but I have sown many doubts in the minds of atheists and agnostics.

And then they go away, think about it, and say, "no, I was right all along"?
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#191  Postby Thommo » Sep 29, 2018 3:55 pm

I doubt that.
Thommo

Print view this post

#192  Postby theropod » Sep 29, 2018 4:01 pm

He didn’t specify what doubts. I suspect those doubts centered around whether he was a troll, Poe or just fucking stupid.

RS
Last edited by theropod on Sep 29, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#193  Postby Wortfish » Sep 29, 2018 5:20 pm

hackenslash wrote:

I'm not sure how many decons I have, but well inti the tens if dispatches are to be believed.

I think many atheists just don't want to believe in God. It helps simplify their lives and gives comfort to them, knowing that they are not answerable to a Higher Power.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#194  Postby hackenslash » Sep 29, 2018 5:35 pm

The first two words of that are recrudescent arse-gravy, and it goes steeply downhill from there.

I have no use for your pathetic fantasy except as comedy fodder, and I know for a fact that many of my cohorts hereabouts feel the same.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#195  Postby LucidFlight » Sep 29, 2018 5:45 pm

*adds recrudescent arse-gravy to list of handy phrases*
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Charley
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#196  Postby Thommo » Sep 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Wortfish wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

I think many atheists just don't want to believe in God. It helps simplify their lives and gives comfort to them, knowing that they are not answerable to a Higher Power.

I doubt that.
Thommo

Print view this post

#197  Postby Wortfish » Sep 29, 2018 8:55 pm

Thommo wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

I doubt that.

I have met many atheists who tell me that they find consolation in the fact that there is no Creator or higher purpose. It means they can live their lives without worrying about the consequences of their actions. Deep down they know there is a God, but they choose not to acknowledge him.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#198  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Conscience is not the sole preserve of theists. There's this thing called "empathy" - you might have heard of it. Also, belief is not a matter of choice, EVERYBODY believes that which they perceive to be the truth. No choice in it. In short :this: is a load of old codswallop.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#199  Postby TopCat » Sep 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Wortfish wrote:I have met many atheists who tell me that they find consolation in the fact that there is no Creator or higher purpose.

I've posted on a few occasions about how I generally deplore accusations of lying on this forum. Mostly such accusations are aimed at people who persist in asserting things that are manifestly untrue, despite being shown why they're untrue, usually multiple times. Usually I think delusion and selective attention account for such determined evidence denial.

But you know what? With this assertion, I think you're lying. Or if you're not, you're staggeringly deluded about what atheists think. The atheists I know are mostly decent, moral people, who have found their own way to morality - without, I might add, this vile notion of vicarious atonement - and consequently need no such consolation.

It means they can live their lives without worrying about the consequences of their actions.

This is a horrible non sequitur. Even if the first assertion were true, which I bet it isn't, this in no way follows from it, and is in fact absolutely untrue.

Deep down they know there is a God, but they choose not to acknowledge him.

And with this, you are in fact, just making shit up consistent with your prejudices. It's revolting. Speaking as an ex-Christian, I'd say it ranks right up there with the most santimonious, hollow, vacuous, pious, hypocritical bullshit I ever heard from people that were incapable of knowing what they believed or thought unless they had it shoved down their gullet for them by the church.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#200  Postby laklak » Sep 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Wortfish wrote:I have met many atheists who tell me that they find consolation in the fact that there is no Creator or higher purpose.

They're taking the piss, mate. Probably told you they eat babies, too.

Well, some of us do, anyway. Why not? It's not like there's a God who's going to punish me for it, so I can do whatever I want. My Lord Satan told me that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism