How many people have you de-converted?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

How many people have you de-converted

Poll ended at Oct 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Zero
33
72%
One to Three
11
24%
Four to Six
1
2%
Seven to Nine
1
2%
Ten or more
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 46

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#201  Postby Thommo » Sep 30, 2018 7:47 am

Wortfish wrote:I have met many atheists who tell me that they find consolation in the fact that there is no Creator or higher purpose. It means they can live their lives without worrying about the consequences of their actions. Deep down they know there is a God, but they choose not to acknowledge him.


I doubt that.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#202  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Deep down they know there is a God but they choose not to acknowledge him

There are no atheists who secretly believe in God you just like to think there are
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10203

Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#203  Postby Alan B » Sep 30, 2018 2:22 pm

Wortfish wrote:I have met many atheists who tell me that they find consolation in the fact that there is no Creator or higher purpose. It means they can live their lives without worrying about the consequences of their actions. Deep down they know there is a God,
My emphasis
And which 'god' would that be?
The Million Gods Project
but they choose not to acknowledge him.
It isn't a question of choice when dealing with the concept of a non-entity. There is nothing to make a 'choice' about.

I think what you are trying to say is that you have met an atheist or two who have expressed the view that they are glad they are no longer beholden to a dictatorial and controlling priesthood who use the concept of some non-existent 'magick-man' as their weapon of choice.
But, of course you had to re-word it to suit your own twisted ideas...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 85
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#204  Postby ElDiablo » Sep 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Wortfish wrote:
I have met many atheists who tell me that they find consolation in the fact that there is no Creator or higher purpose. It means they can live their lives without worrying about the consequences of their actions. Deep down they know there is a God, but they choose not to acknowledge him.


I bet your "many" atheists is a quantity of two maximum.
I bet what they told you is different than your summary of what you say they told you.
I bet when you say "It means..." that's your biased conclusion and not anything the athiest said.
I bet "deep down" is another of your conclusions.
I bet you made the 95% of this up just to get a response.
God is silly putty.
User avatar
ElDiablo
 
Posts: 3125

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#205  Postby felltoearth » Sep 30, 2018 4:58 pm

It’s more significant that not a single atheist here would say that. Hearsay otherwise. I wonder how Wortfish will account to his creator for false witness.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 14337
Age: 54

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#206  Postby laklak » Sep 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Lying for Jebus gets a pass.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#207  Postby Fallible » Sep 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Wortfish wrote:Don't know about "convereted", but I have sown many doubts in the minds of atheists and agnostics.


lol
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#208  Postby Fallible » Sep 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Wortfish wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
Wortfish wrote:Don't know about "convereted", but I have sown many doubts in the minds of atheists and agnostics.


Have you, indeed? Do tell.

I'm not sure how many decons I have, but well inti the tens if dispatches are to be believed.


I think many atheists just don't want to believe in God. It helps simplify their lives and gives comfort to them, knowing that they are not answerable to a Higher Power.


What?? Wortfish talking unmitigated bollocks?? I never expected that. I doubt you really care how wrong you are. Your problem.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#209  Postby Fallible » Sep 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

Have you, indeed? Do tell.

I'm not sure how many decons I have, but well inti the tens if dispatches are to be believed.


I think many atheists just don't want to believe in God. It helps simplify their lives and gives comfort to them, knowing that they are not answerable to a Higher Power.


I doubt that.


I have met many atheists who tell me that they find consolation in the fact that there is no Creator or higher purpose. It means they can live their lives without worrying about the consequences of their actions. Deep down they know there is a God, but they choose not to acknowledge him.


Troll better.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#210  Postby BlackBart » Sep 30, 2018 6:55 pm

Yeah, seriously Wortfish, up your game mate. That was really pathetic. We need something a little less hackneyed and desperate to chew on.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12430
Age: 59
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#211  Postby laklak » Sep 30, 2018 11:34 pm

OK how about Darwin's deathbed conversion? Haven't seen that old chestnut in while. I'm sure AIG has some links.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#212  Postby laklak » Sep 30, 2018 11:34 pm

We've had monkeys, we've had irreducible complexity, we've had atheists really believe in god deep down....
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#213  Postby theropod » Oct 01, 2018 1:50 pm

...and the “what good is half and eye” bullshit.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
User avatar
theropod
RS Donator
 
Name: Roger
Posts: 7529
Age: 68
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#214  Postby laklak » Oct 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Did we do "no transitional fossils" yet? I can't be bothered to look.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#215  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 01, 2018 2:23 pm

I spent 10 mins or so on the way back from town explaining to a couple more JWs about abiogenesis, hydrothermal vents and how anybody can make up a story and write it in a book (the bible). Doubt it got thru to them much TBH but you never know...
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9325
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#216  Postby Alan B » Oct 02, 2018 6:47 pm

I haven't had any JWs a-knocking for ages. The last lot was last year and they were old. Perhaps they're dying out. :shifty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 85
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#217  Postby Fallible » Oct 02, 2018 6:48 pm

They don't come to us anymore. :lol: I saw them on the estate the other day, but they stayed away. I think it's because I tried to engage them too much in conversation every time they came here.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#218  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 02, 2018 7:06 pm

The male JW on that occasion the other day, before he made his excuses and fucked off to "make a phone call" recommended I check out the Genesis Enigma, it's written by a scientist, he proclaimed. I mean really - check this out - god of the gaps city:

User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9325
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#219  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Alan B wrote:I haven't had any JWs a-knocking for ages. The last lot was last year and they were old. Perhaps they're dying out. :shifty:


They're fucking everywhere around our area. In twos or threes, standing by their display "portable leaflet rack" containing their promotional mind rot. They ain't dying out fast at least, seems to me.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9325
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#220  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Same here but they do not say anything just stand there holding Watchy Tower in total silence which I find very admirable
I sometimes feel the urge to take all the options from their leafy rack but they might start talking to me so I just let it go
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10203

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest