24%
Four to Six
2%
Seven to Nine
2%
Ten or more
No votes

Total votes : 46

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#221  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 02, 2018 7:46 pm

There is also a Muslim stall here as well from which I got a free Koran
I also got an annotated one from another stall which I read so all good
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#222  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Do you feel Chrislam is not harmful, or do you feel powerless in the face of the proselytisers, or are you apathetic about it sur? "All good" is it? :eh:
"Jesus had a bad weekend for our sins." - Julia Sweeney
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#223  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 03, 2018 3:39 am

Yeah baby its all good its all good

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#224  Postby fluttermoth » Oct 03, 2018 10:28 am

Fallible wrote:They don't come to us anymore. :lol: I saw them on the estate the other day, but they stayed away. I think it's because I tried to engage them too much in conversation every time they came here.

lol, yeah, same here. I used to quite like them coming around, for two reasons.

1. I was a single mother to two small children, so was stuck at home with no stimulating conversations a lot of the time. It was nice to be able to use a bit more of my brain. And having to argue your position is excellent for clarifying your thought process.

2. As my late granddad, also an atheist, always said, " if they're here talking to me, they're not bothering someone more vulnerable" :)
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#225  Postby Fallible » Oct 03, 2018 1:36 pm

:rofl: Quite so.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#226  Postby Wortfish » Oct 04, 2018 6:45 pm

BlackBart wrote:Yeah, seriously Wortfish, up your game mate. That was really pathetic. We need something a little less hackneyed and desperate to chew on.

Atheists like to say to theists: "You are an atheist in that you don't believe in all but one of a number of possible gods".

Theists like to say to atheists: "You cannot claim to be an atheist if you treat existence as anything other than meaningless and purposeless which is what a possible universe without a god would be like."

Now which of those statements is the more rational and logical?
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Fallible » Oct 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Bart said up your game.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#228  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 04, 2018 6:50 pm

I bet those worts on that fish's head extend inside its brain....
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#229  Postby Thommo » Oct 04, 2018 6:53 pm

Wortfish wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Yeah, seriously Wortfish, up your game mate. That was really pathetic. We need something a little less hackneyed and desperate to chew on.

Atheists like to say to theists: "You are an atheist in that you don't believe in all but one of a number of possible gods".

Theists like to say to atheists: "You cannot claim to be an atheist if you treat existence as anything other than meaningless and purposeless which is what a possible universe without a god would be like."

The first one. It's the first one you're insinuating towards, right?

What do I win? :cheerdance:

ETA: This train of thought did lead me to this hilariously inept disanalogical takedown of the meme:
https://strangenotions.com/debunking-th ... objection/
Suppose someone skeptical about Euclidean geometry said:

"When you understand why you regard all the particular triangles you’ve observed as having sides that are less than perfectly straight, you will understand why I regard Euclidean plane triangles as such to have sides that are less than perfectly straight."

:tehe:
Thommo

Print view this post

#230  Postby Wortfish » Oct 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Thommo wrote:
Wortfish wrote:

You don't. Just because I don't believe in one type of god, or representation of the divine, does not mean I am an atheist.

However, it would inherently contradictory if an atheist, who believes in no higher power or objective morality, supposed that life and existence is actually purposeful and meaningful. He/She should see it as pointless and accidental. The fact that most atheist live their lives caring about things, is an indication that they have not fully come to terms with their atheism.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#231  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 04, 2018 10:43 pm

Organisms suffer. Organisms experience happiness. Decreasing the former and increasing the latter matters, to all but psychopaths, and even they care about those matters purely as they apply to themselves. Therefore meaning and purpose. No dog needed. Have a nice day Wortfish.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#232  Postby Thommo » Oct 04, 2018 11:01 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Wortfish wrote:

You don't. Just because I don't believe in one type of god, or representation of the divine, does not mean I am an atheist.

However, it would inherently contradictory if an atheist, who believes in no higher power or objective morality, supposed that life and existence is actually purposeful and meaningful. He/She should see it as pointless and accidental. The fact that most atheist live their lives caring about things, is an indication that they have not fully come to terms with their atheism.

Ahh, I see, you're mistaking semantics and definition for logic and rationality.

Well, an easy mistake to make, I suppose. Maybe you'll get it right next time you're pointlessly strawmanning someone.
Thommo

Print view this post

#233  Postby Fallible » Oct 05, 2018 5:49 am

Wortfish wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Wortfish wrote:

Why do you do this?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#234  Postby zulumoose » Oct 05, 2018 6:21 am

Why do you think that meaning and purpose need to be imposed on us from outside?
We are social beings who find meaning and purpose amongst ourselves and our relationship to the world around us.
There is no evidence that any of the competing religious moralities have any validity or add any meaning or purpose that is not entirely imaginary.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#235  Postby Alan B » Oct 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Wortfish wrote:Atheists like to say to theists: "You are an atheist in that you don't believe in all but one of a number of possible gods".
Twaddle. An atheist wouldn't make such a stupid statement. 'Theism' is by definition a belief in a God or gods.

Presumptuous delusional twaddle. 'Godless' does not equal meaningless and purposeless. Kowtowing to a 'god' or 'gods' stunts, and in some cases prevents, exploration and understanding.

Neither. They're both bollocks.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#236  Postby BlackBart » Oct 06, 2018 11:02 am

Wortfish wrote:

Neither. The first a garbled version of a jocular remark by An atheist, not 'Atheists'.

Second is just vacuous assertion. - please show why a universe that wasn't created by a supernatural entity would be meaningless and purposeless. Further why would we have to accept that a 'meaningless' and 'purposeless' universe is a bad thing in the first olace?

Once again, up your game, mate.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#237  Postby Hermit » Oct 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Wortfish wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

Atheists do not claim that a universe without god is meaningless and purposeless. We just see no evidence of a god, a god, moreover, who hands meaning and purpose down to us from up high.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#238  Postby Alan B » Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am

Why does Wortfish post such obviously illogical suggestions?

He/She can't be that deluded, surely?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#239  Postby Fallible » Oct 08, 2018 11:58 am

I dunno, he doesn’t even really engage. No matter the replies and questions, he just regurgitates the same claims.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#240  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 08, 2018 4:41 pm

theropod wrote:...and the “what good is half and eye” bullshit.

RS

No shit, eh? The half an eye thing, coming from people who live to adulthood with half a functioning brain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism