Humanist campaign challenges blasphemy laws

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Humanist campaign challenges blasphemy laws

#1  Postby DougC » Jan 30, 2015 9:39 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31047401
B.B.C. Article
Blasphemy laws are being challenged in a new global campaign launched by a coalition of humanist organisations. The International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU) says that, in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo attacks in France, the time is right for countries to abolish laws that protect religious sensibilities. But blasphemy laws nevertheless remain popular in many parts of the world.
The attacks on the staff of the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine led to a massive response in defence of free speech - in France, but also across the world.
Equally intensely, some parts of the world saw protests against both the original cartoons, and the subsequent publication of another image of the Prophet Muhammad.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Humanist campaign challenges blasphemy laws

#2  Postby archibald » Jan 30, 2015 10:16 pm

I'd say……I'm in favour of not having restrictions on blasphemy….

But I think it can get a bit vague. When is Insulting Mohammad effectively insulting Muslims.

When does it cross into public expression of hate against a religious group? I'd be against that, for the same reasons I'd be against any equivalent expression aimed at anyone because of their sexuality, gender or ethnicity.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Stumped » Jan 30, 2015 11:53 pm

I wrote a long person before I realised there was a much simpler way of expressing my thoughts on the matter.

You don't have to respect a persons beliefs or how they choose to define themselves but you should not discriminate against them. I have noticed that a lack of expected respect is often labelled as discrimination even though the individual/group in question have been subject to no discernible discrimination.

I've had personal experience of this when refusing to provide a customer with an enhanced service that they had requested on religious grounds. They immediately accused me of discriminating against them but I stood my ground and explained while there are criteria for giving a customer an enhanced service (Such as relevant physical or mental disability) religious belief isn't one of them.

Personally I think blasphemy laws are less about protecting the feelings of the religious and more about protecting religious authority itself. Its very easy to take criticism of a religious authority and redefine it as an attack on the religion itself. Criticism of the those in power is quickly crushed by the invoking of these laws and public outcry against what they see as an attack against their beliefs even though they were never the target of criticism.
Stumped

Print view this post

#4  Postby hackenslash » Jan 31, 2015 9:54 am

Stumped wrote: Criticism of the those in power is quickly crushed by the invoking of these laws and public outcry against what they see as an attack against their beliefs even though they were never the target of criticism.

Total bollocks. The beliefs are exactly what's being attacked, and quite right too. Indeed, the only valid target for rational attack is the beliefs of the religious, because said beliefs are fucking stupid, and exist only to be disposed of.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 31, 2015 10:09 am

I respect the person as much as possible as they are a human being but am
under no such obligation to respect their beliefs. And this is not something
confined to just the religious for it can be any one including other atheists
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post