Leaving your Religion as kid

Looking for contributions for a song

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Leaving your Religion as kid

#21  Postby bogdan9310 » Feb 06, 2019 9:56 pm

I tried reading the bible when I was about 7-8. I binned it after a couple of pages, true story. :thumbdown:
bogdan9310

Name: Bogdan Bacosca
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2019 10:17 pm

Old or new testament? There is a difference, I'm sure :search:
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 07, 2019 4:01 am

What difference? All shit is shit.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Hermit » Feb 07, 2019 4:21 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:What difference? All shit is shit.

Not a useful conflation. The moment Christianity is criticised on grounds of something written in the Old Testament ten Christian evangelists will turn up and mention the New Covenant.

Personally, I always counter by asking why the OT can still be found on every pulpit today, and why the bible-thumpers keep quoting from it. That's when prevarications begin sprouting like mushrooms in a cow paddock on a sunny summer's mid-afternoon after a thunderstorm.

Just saying "all shit is shit" is not the best preparation for shooting evangelists' arguments down in flames.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 07, 2019 4:34 am

I dont have to shoot anything down. There is nothing to shoot down. It is just shit. Not interested. Here no one would turn a hair. Just dont bother me is the basic attitude. I dont need arguments in a one sided argument. They can quote all they want but who is listening? We used to have a evangelical band playing in town for years but they have disappeared. We dont have many pulpits. Maybe 5 in the whole city and suburbs.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Hermit » Feb 07, 2019 5:20 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:I dont have to shoot anything down. There is nothing to shoot down. It is just shit. Not interested. Here no one would turn a hair. Just dont bother me is the basic attitude. I dont need arguments in a one sided argument. They can quote all they want but who is listening? We used to have a evangelical band playing in town for years but they have disappeared. We dont have many pulpits. Maybe 5 in the whole city and suburbs.

You cared enough to comment on the issue. As for me, I don't mind arguing with them. Not in the hope of making them see the errors of their ways, but to inform less committed theists and vaccinate those who have no particular opinion about religion one way or another.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 07, 2019 7:29 am

Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I dont have to shoot anything down. There is nothing to shoot down. It is just shit. Not interested. Here no one would turn a hair. Just dont bother me is the basic attitude. I dont need arguments in a one sided argument. They can quote all they want but who is listening? We used to have a evangelical band playing in town for years but they have disappeared. We dont have many pulpits. Maybe 5 in the whole city and suburbs.

You cared enough to comment on the issue. As for me, I don't mind arguing with them. Not in the hope of making them see the errors of their ways, but to inform less committed theists and vaccinate those who have no particular opinion about religion one way or another.

That's a rationale, at least. Where are these 'less-committed theists' in the invisible universe? Isn't that just you as you used to be? The argument is that, if it happened to you, it can happen to anyone. Where are these folks who 'have no particular opinon'? I have not seen them. I have seen people who pretend that they have no particular opinion, or at least say that they simply lack belief in deities.

Hermit wrote:

Not a useful conflation. The moment Christianity is criticised on grounds of something written in the Old Testament ten Christian evangelists will turn up and mention the New Covenant.

Personally, I always counter by asking why the OT can still be found on every pulpit today, and why the bible-thumpers keep quoting from it. That's when prevarications begin sprouting like mushrooms in a cow paddock on a sunny summer's mid-afternoon after a thunderstorm.

Just saying "all shit is shit" is not the best preparation for shooting evangelists' arguments down in flames.

You have to know an awful lot about what is actually in scripture to comment on that. There's a few hours of your life down the tubes. You can throw good money after bad, and try to make use of all that knowledge, but meh.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Hermit » Feb 07, 2019 8:37 am

Yeah, verily, contributing 27,000 posts to some obscure internet forum is a much better use of one's limited time on earth.

As for less-committed theists and people who have no particular opinion about religion one way or another, you might encounter a few if you crawl out from under your rock.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#29  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 07, 2019 8:39 am

Hermit wrote:Yeah, verily, contributing 27,000 posts to some obscure internet forum is a much better use of one's limited time on earth.

As for less-committed theists and people who have no particular opinion about religion one way or another, you might encounter a few if you crawl out from under your rock.

I admit that my existence is absurd. Surr and I are like that, y'know?

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Fallible » Feb 07, 2019 8:46 am

I'm not sure why the fact that there are people who have no opinion one way or the other is contentious here. The place is crawling with them. They're usually the people not hanging about on internet fora discussing belief in gods, and instead going about their business. Like the guy next to me at the reception desk at the hospital the other week who was asked his religion, and after a vacant pause eventually said 'err...I dunno. Um...what is it...oh yeah, CofE, think that's the one'. I doubt he even knew what that entailed. It's just a mantra. My own mother has no view, unless you count the view that there are about a billion other things more worthy of contemplation, including whether the bins have been emptied. Some here might be so intent on expressing their opinion that to not have one seems perverted. I could fill the Royal Albert Hall with people who don't care.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 07, 2019 8:48 am

Fallible wrote:I'm not sure why the fact that there are people who have no opinion one way or the other is contentious here.

It's not. Admittedly, many folks do not know whether to shit or go blind. Not controversial at all. Case in point? Nah, you don't want to hear it. You already know: Brexit.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Fallible » Feb 07, 2019 8:58 am

Many folks just have more important things to think about.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby electricwhiteboy » Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Fallible wrote:Many folks just have more important things to think about.

The vast majority of folks don't give a shit, they think they live ok lives, and like the idea of heaven. They might get a bit upset if you say their racist old Nan that was a shit to everyone but members of her own family probably isn't at the right hand of The Father because it's all bollocks. But that's it. Be a good person live forever, people like that idea.

My only problem with that kind of belief is those type of folks don't understand that their religion could be harmful and offensive because they know/care so little about it. It never crosses their minds this shit might be harmful if taken seriously. Most folk, unless pushed, are quite happy to paddle in the intellectual shallows.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#34  Postby electricwhiteboy » Feb 07, 2019 12:42 pm

bogdan9310 wrote:I tried reading the bible when I was about 7-8. I binned it after a couple of pages, true story. :thumbdown:

I think I got to the end of Joshua before deciding on balance that Yahway was a massive cunt. This was after I already had massive doubts about his existence at all. If he exists, he's a monster. I don't want to believe he exists. Everything else just followed on.

Still tinkering about with the song. Prog takes time.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#35  Postby BlackBart » Feb 07, 2019 12:53 pm

They put the movie on one Easter when I was a kid. Watched about 10 minutes, swiftly got bored and switched to The Lost World on the other side. Much more fun. That's about the long and short of my journey into and out of theism.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 07, 2019 2:18 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
bogdan9310 wrote:I tried reading the bible when I was about 7-8. I binned it after a couple of pages, true story. :thumbdown:

I think I got to the end of Joshua before deciding on balance that Yahway was a massive cunt. This was after I already had massive doubts about his existence at all. If he exists, he's a monster. I don't want to believe he exists. Everything else just followed on.

Still tinkering about with the song. Prog takes time.

Reading the OT (on its own without references) does make one wonder. There is a book that puts the OT into context.

Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God

A recent string of popular-level books written by the New Atheists have leveled the accusation that the God of the Old Testament is nothing but a bully, a murderer, and a cosmic child abuser. This viewpoint is even making inroads into the church. How are Christians to respond to such accusations? And how are we to reconcile the seemingly disconnected natures of God portrayed in the two testaments?

<snip>

Copan not only answers God's critics, he also shows how to read both the Old and New Testaments faithfully, seeing an unchanging, righteous, and loving God in both.

https://www.amazon.com/God-Moral-Monster-Making-Testament/dp/0801072751
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#37  Postby bogdan9310 » Feb 07, 2019 4:13 pm

I agree.
bogdan9310

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 07, 2019 4:25 pm

Me three, my comment was intended as a piss take: both volumes are basically works of fantasy AFAICT and that's that.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#39  Postby bogdan9310 » Feb 07, 2019 4:29 pm

There might be a drop of truth in all religions though, you can find patterns in all of them. Not to mention the snake in the bible. Snake=reptilian=alien=illuminati. Maybe, who knows.
bogdan9310

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Hamster » Feb 20, 2019 4:48 am

I never believed in any meaningful way.I mean I tried to read the bible one page at a time when I was a wee bairn, even took to selfish prayer a few times; the shallowest of shallow "belief". Never any commitment. Faded quicker than a bunch of bluebells.

While preaching the virtues of Jesus
It's Good News, he was here to please us
He had all his fun
And when he was done
He gave us some poxy diseases
Hamster

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism