Leaving your Religion as kid

Looking for contributions for a song

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Leaving your Religion as kid

#41  Postby zulumoose » Feb 20, 2019 6:42 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Reading the OT (on its own without references) does make one wonder. There is a book that puts the OT into context.

Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God

A recent string of popular-level books written by the New Atheists have leveled the accusation that the God of the Old Testament is nothing but a bully, a murderer, and a cosmic child abuser. This viewpoint is even making inroads into the church. How are Christians to respond to such accusations? And how are we to reconcile the seemingly disconnected natures of God portrayed in the two testaments?

<snip>

Copan not only answers God's critics, he also shows how to read both the Old and New Testaments faithfully, seeing an unchanging, righteous, and loving God in both.

https://www.amazon.com/God-Moral-Monster-Making-Testament/dp/0801072751

From https://infidels.org/library/modern/cra ... nster.html

The book begins with the question of whether or not religion, in general, is really a unique source of moral failure. Copan points to Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, and Mao Zedong as examples of the evil done by atheists

All credibility immediately lost.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Svartalf » Feb 20, 2019 6:29 pm

@OP, I must admit I don't really get you, it took me a long time to get that religion was dead wrong and a bad thing, I mean, I was rather devout from ages 7-14, but it was by age 22 that I really stopped being a Xian, pushed out of the coccoon by study of the texts and harsh reality.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby simian-gimp » Apr 30, 2019 10:19 am

Went to Sunday School as a kid (probably around the age of 5-6)
Throughout the entire ordeal I remember thinking "What a bunch of horseshit", but I understood that my Mum needed time to herself for a couple of hours each week and it gave her that break (I continued to go for a while, as she always brought me a Lion Bar, afterwards)
We sang hymns at Primary School, during assemblies etc.
None of us knew why (at the time) and many of us simply mouthed along, rolling our eyes at each other, impatiently.
I remember the adult believers seeming demented, deranged and usually with some kind of nervous disposition.
Later in life, I realised it was because most of them had a dark past or had done questionable things and religion helped ease their conscience.

Like Scot, I was thrown out of Sunday School, for asking too many questions.
IMO, you either have to be a special kind of stupid to swallow it, or have a certain darkness that you want excusing from.
Which is exactly why the church is constantly converting people in prisons, all over the world.
Easy prey.
simian-gimp

Name: Leon

Print view this post

#44  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Nice to meet you Leon. :cheers:

Yeah my mum always did the wash on Sundays as she worked the rest of the week.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2019 4:32 pm

simian-gimp wrote: (I continued to go for a while, as she always brought me a Lion Bar, afterwards)

Fuck! I'd go to church today if a lion bar was part of the deal. Perhaps to resolve their flagging membership, they just need to update communion from wafers to chocky bars! :lol:

And as they were eating, he took out a Boost, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, “Take; this is my body.” And he took a can of Ginger Ale, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it. And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many”

Mark 14:22-24 for the 21st Century.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#46  Postby Cito di Pense » May 01, 2019 4:55 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
simian-gimp wrote: (I continued to go for a while, as she always brought me a Lion Bar, afterwards)

Fuck! I'd go to church today if a lion bar was part of the deal. Perhaps to resolve their flagging membership, they just need to update communion from wafers to chocky bars! :lol:

As a bonus, they could call the offer "Lion for Jebus".
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Svartalf » May 01, 2019 5:05 pm

Iron, like a Lion, in Zion... Jebus would not care if the materials for the eucharist varied, so long as the memory of him remains... now, we still need to go on crusade so we can replace those ugly mosques on Mount MOriah with decent churches.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Alan B » May 02, 2019 5:38 pm

We used to sing Christmas carols at school during 'Assembly'. One time I used the words my Dad used when he was a kid:
" While shepherds washed their socks by night
All seated round a tub
A bar of Sunlight soap came down
And all began to rub"

Someone snitched on me and I was, er, 'told-off' in no uncertain terms.

Later, Sunday school was just an excuse to meet people. Didn't take much notice of the 'lessons'. But I always remember seeing one of the girls (we were about 12-14) in another mixed group blowing up a condom 'cos she thought it was a balloon. Our group leader, she was 'grown-up' (about 16), went quite red-faced.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Ironclad » May 02, 2019 11:35 pm

I wasn't allowed to go to Sunday school, mum refused it - remarkable really as she had no issues keeping me in a fucking convent. But maybe she was suspicious of the sweets they used as temptations to get children away from their homes.. damn perverts.
We didn't have lion bars back then, just Mars bars and pedophiles.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#50  Postby erraserhead » Jul 08, 2019 4:51 pm

Very good thread! Although I enjoyed church as a young'un (compared to?) I knew that praying was really allowing your own mind to figure out things. Like therapy does. At any rate, I enjoyed church for the ritual, the beauty of the art, and so on. When I dropped a hit of acid at 17, it really opened my eyes and I dropped those old beliefs like dropping a mic. After that I saw the blood under the altar and Roman Catholicism was forever left behind in my experience. Leaving a religion as a child has got to be difficult in the extreme, especially when your entire family, support system, etc. are still in it.Gives me chills..
A great deal of intelligence is invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. - Saul Bellow
erraserhead

Name: Jon Blackman

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby laklak » Jul 14, 2019 3:02 pm

It's In-And-Out burgers and White Russians at the Dudeist church.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Pebble » Jul 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Was devout as a kid. Alter boy, retreats, night prayers, read and memorised large sections of catechism, considered priesthood as an option - the whole shebang. Lived in a small town, where anyone that was not catholic was suspect and a source of negative gossip. The Sunday sermon would regularly include comments on congregation members that were not sufficiently compliant with the will of the local Cannon (who was a shite).
Around 14, was ridiculed in front of a class for answering that the earth was 4 billion years old, when it was only 6000 years old. Annoyed the f*** out of me, so started reading the old testament to figure that out. This was also the time after the second Vatican council, when catholic teachers believed that logic could be used to convince people of the one true god (big mistake). Around the same time an adult I knew used regularly complain about the hypocrisy of church goers - pious as possible only for an hour on Sunday, then usual service resumed. Another contribution came from reading about the inquisition (the plight of the jewish people and the need to justify Israel's right to territorial integrity after the 6 day war was a big source of literature in the early 70's).
I initially realised that catholicism was clearly not true, and began honing my arguments in religion class - for which I got banned. It then took pretty well no time at all to look at the available alternate religions and realise that all were just variations on a story.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#53  Postby zerne » Jul 14, 2019 7:59 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:If I'm honest I don't remember ever believing. They try and teach you the Bible right after they tell you that Santa isn't real. I called bullshit immediately. I think I sat down and read Genesis through to the end of Joshua by myself without any supervision or clarification. God seemed like a massive vindictive bastard. If anyone remembers Ulysses 31, a cartoon that was basically The Odyssey and Existentialism in space, you know for kids. Those two events were enough for me to think it was all bollocks as a kid.

I remember Ulysses 31. As soon as you mentioned it the theme tune wormed its way back into my ear. :grin:

I did believe for bit, like realdeal-armorofgod type belief. Had always been aware of the church since a lot of the extended family were elderly and played a part. Got Christened, Godparents, Bibles for birthday a few times. I would be the one to accompany my grandmother to church on Sundays, she though it would do me good. Meh. She favoured the Free Church of Scotland. So no musical accompaniment. You ever heard a room full of old people of various degrees of deafness try to sing? Not exactly harmonious.

So anyway, nominal belief, went to a Scripture Union camp. A week in Kyle of Lochalsh. Us pre-pubescent boys only. A bunch of church helpers and a potential priest or two i think.. lots of activities, archery, canoeing and hiking, all interspersed with us being taught about Jesus and the Church. Praying and all that. Great time, height of summer, sunny all week. Had a couple of classmates along from school and we made loads of friends and played football and lots good feelings towards our group and we got into the whole thing. After the week ended that's when i was at peak belief. Dear God did i believe. Made a commitment to read my Bible in full when i got home. Study that thing and learn God.

Yeah, that didn't work so well.

Went back next year. Armed with lots and lots of questions. ;)
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jul 14, 2019 10:56 pm

zerne wrote:

I remember Ulysses 31. As soon as you mentioned it the theme tune wormed its way back into my ear. :grin:

I used to be in a band with an awesome keyboard player. We were setting up in rehearsal once. He said "Guess what I torrented last night?" and started playing the theme out of nowhere. Whole damn thing, the vocoder bits, everything. It's weird it doesn't get much love or mentions online. We re-watched it absolutely bombed out our skulls. Good times. All fun and games until the drummer had a bad trip on the loom of fate episode. "You watched this as kids!"
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#55  Postby Ironclad » Jul 15, 2019 8:47 am

That is a superior tune for a kids cartoon show. :)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jul 15, 2019 10:52 am

Ironclad wrote:That is a superior tune for a kids cartoon show. :)

The sound track was far better than it has any right to be.
The show taught me three things. Beards, prog rock, and the Gods are assholes unworthy of worship and to be defied until the end.

https://youtu.be/kEcqyyFvPBU
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#57  Postby Fallible » Jul 15, 2019 1:25 pm

Fond memories...I loved that programme.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 18, 2019 7:56 am

Apparently, my 6 year old son has already decided that religion's not for him.

Although I have been strictly forbidden by 'er indoors from talking about religion to him, on account of my partner knowing my views on religion, and Thailand being an excessively deferential society when it comes to religion, it appears he's alighted on disbelief all by himself.

Last night he was telling me about what he does when he gets to school (it's his first year of 'proper' schooling) and explained they have to do this ritual obeisance thing with a chanted prayer (I successfully suppressed a shudder) - it's very overtly Buddhist in nature, and as most of his school pals are neither Thai nor Buddhist, I asked what they do instead. He said they all have to do it even if they're not Buddhist. Then, out of nowhere, he said 'But I'm not Buddhist either and I still have to do it'. Caught slightly off guard, I asked 'so what are you then?' and he replied 'I'm me. I'm Marc.' then he laid back looking up at the ceiling with a satisfied smile on his face.

Dat's my boy! :D
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#59  Postby arugula2 » Jul 20, 2019 1:33 am

zerne wrote:

I'd totally forgotten about that circle-of-lights ship's computer thingy (0:41). :thumbup:
arugula2

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism