Michigan mayor bans Atheist display

to not upset Christians....

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Michigan mayor bans Atheist display

#1  Postby kennyc » Apr 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Michigan mayor bans atheist City Hall display to not upset Christian ‘Prayer Station’
By David Edwards
Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:47 EDT

A Michigan mayor who says that he believes in freedom of religion has refused to allow atheists to set up a so-called “Reason Station” inside City Hall, saying it could upset Christians visiting the nearby “Prayer Station.”

According to the Detroit Free Press, Warren resident Douglas Marshall proposed the “Reason Station” to promote separation of church and state, and to tell people about using free thought, reason and logic.

But Warren Mayor Jim Fouts rejected the display for a period of one year because of Marshall’s affiliation with a group called the Freedom From Religion Foundation. In a letter to Marshall, Fouts explained that the Freedom From Religion Foundation was not protected under the First Amendment’s Establishment clause because atheism was not a religion.

“To my way of thinking, your group is strictly an anti-religion group intending to deprive all organized religions of their constitutional freedoms or at least discourage the practice of religion,” Fouts wrote. “The City of Warren cannot allow this.”

“Also, I believe it is group’s intention to disrupt those who participate in the Prayer Station which would also be a violation of the freedom of religion amendment,” he added. “For these reasons, I cannot approve of your request.”

Last year, Freedom From Religion had asked to participate in the city’s annual winter holiday display with a sign that declared that there “are no gods, no devils, no angels, No heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but Myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.”

A federal appeals court ruled that Fouts did not violate the group’s rights when he rejected the request.

Marshall, however, argued that it was unfair for the mayor to reject the latest request based on his association with Freedom From Religion.

“I do view this a violation of my free speech rights,” Marshall noted. “It seems to me that the mayor allows free speech in the atrium as long as he agrees with the speech… If he doesn’t, he denies speech he doesn’t agree with in the atrium.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/17/m ... sone_share
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Michigan mayor bans Atheist display

#2  Postby Weaver » Apr 17, 2014 3:42 pm

That Mayor needs to learn the law, and the Constitution.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby orpheus » Apr 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Bookmarking. I'm from Michigan. This sucks.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Apr 17, 2014 4:01 pm

The mayor should be disbarred from public office. It will only need to be done a few times (probably lots in Texas) & the daft buggers will start to cotton on
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby patient zero » Apr 17, 2014 5:53 pm

Fouts explained that the Freedom From Religion Foundation was not protected under the First Amendment’s Establishment clause because atheism was not a religion.

I wonder if there's plenty of quotes from mayor fouts before this where he says atheism is a religion? :ask:
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 17, 2014 11:28 pm

Is anyone really surprised at seeing a politician wanting reason and logic to be banned from City Hall? All the better to allow him and his fellow politicians to continue peddling bullshit unimpeded.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby quas » Apr 18, 2014 1:55 am

Fouts explained that the Freedom From Religion Foundation was not protected under the First Amendment’s Establishment clause because atheism was not a religion.

I guess he would have preferred Satanists instead.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#8  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 18, 2014 2:19 am

I think he's wrong anyway. Didn't that already go through the courts? I think atheism was defined as a religion in this circumstance for exactly this purpose. (Much to the discomfort of many an atheist I would guess.)
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby orpheus » Apr 18, 2014 2:53 am

Onyx8 wrote:I think he's wrong anyway. Didn't that already go through the courts? I think atheism was defined as a religion in this circumstance for exactly this purpose. (Much to the discomfort of many an atheist I would guess.)

This is a problem. Obviously to a lot of us (me included), atheism is not a religion. The problem here stems from interpreting the Constitutional freedom of religion language to mean one must have a religion of some sort - atheism isn't afforded the same protection. The ideal would be to leave the question of "is atheism a religion?" out of it altogether. But that would require a different interpretation or the Constitution: judges would have to admit that the choice not to be religious is included in that Constitutional language. Seems clear to me, but there are a lot of gutless judges out there.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby SkyMutt » Apr 18, 2014 3:41 am

orpheus wrote:. . . Obviously to a lot of us (me included), atheism is not a religion.

Legally, atheism need not be a religion to merit the First Amendment protections which are accorded to religions. See Kaufman v. McCaughtry. A quote from the decision:

The Supreme Court has recognized atheism as equivalent to a “religion” for purposes of the First Amendment on numerous occasions, most recently in McCreary County, Ky. v. American Civil Liberties Union of Ky., 545U.S. 844, 125 S.Ct. 2722, 162 L.Ed.2d 729 (2005).   The Establishment Clause itself says only that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,” but the Court understands the reference to religion to include what it often calls “nonreligion.”   In McCreary County, it described the touchstone of Establishment Clause analysis as “the principle that the First Amendment mandates government neutrality between religion and religion, and between religion and nonreligion.”
Serious, but not entirely serious.
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby lyingcheat » Apr 18, 2014 3:54 am

Onyx8 wrote;
I think he's wrong anyway. Didn't that already go through the courts? I think atheism was defined as a religion in this circumstance for exactly this purpose.

It did, and it was.

Atheism and the Law
Matt Dillahunty

The U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals declared atheism a religion in a recent decision (Kaufman, James v. McCaughtry, Gary) .
[...]
What the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals got right:

"... whether atheism is a 'religion' for First Amendment purposes is a somewhat different question than whether its adherents believe in a supreme being, or attend regular devotional services, or have a sacred Scripture."
[...]
"Without venturing too far into the realm of the philosophical, we have suggested in the past that when a person sincerely holds beliefs dealing with issues of 'ultimate concern' that for her occupy a 'place parallel to that filled by . . . God in traditionally religious persons,' those beliefs represent her religion."

"We have already indicated that atheism may be considered, in this specialized sense, a religion. See Reed v. Great Lakes Cos., 330 F.3d 931, 934 (7th Cir. 2003) ('If we think of religion as taking a position on divinity, then atheism is indeed a form of religion.')"

This is, essentially, the basis for their decision. They have, in the past, considered atheism to be a religion in the specialized sense that atheism, like theism, specifically addresses the concept of god for the individual. This definition is an attempt to address the implied protections guaranteed by the First Amendment.

"The Supreme Court has recognized atheism as equivalent to a 'religion' for purposes of the First Amendment on numerous occasions"

They referred to another Supreme Court decision (Wallace v. Jaffree, 472 U.S. 38 (1985)), where the court said:

"At one time it was thought that this right [referring to the right to choose one’s own creed] merely proscribed the preference of one Christian sect over another, but would not require equal respect for the conscience of the infidel, the atheist, or the adherent of a non-Christian faith such as Islam or Judaism. But when the underlying principle has been examined in the crucible of litigation, the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embraces the right to select any religious faith or none at all."

http://www.atheist-community.org/librar ... php?id=742

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_an ... of_America
> Insert Witty Signature Phrase Here <
lyingcheat

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Thank you.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mick » Apr 18, 2014 5:15 pm

It is interesting to see that this organization is adopting the standard approach to atheism, the affirmation that no deity exists. What's more, the sign they proposed commits them to the metaphysical view of naturalism. Given this, perhaps it would be better for them not to define themselves in opposition to the more conventional religions. Instead, focus on interpreting the universe through naturalistic lens. In other words, they should focus more on the naturalism part rather than identifying themselves as being not theistic, not religious, not believers in heaven, and so on. Otherwise, they appear adversarial and parasitic.
Last edited by Mick on Apr 18, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#14  Postby kennyc » Apr 18, 2014 5:17 pm

or not.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby orpheus » Apr 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Mick wrote:It is interesting to see that this organization is adopting the standard approach to atheism, the affirmation that no deity exists. What's more, the sign they proposed commits them to the metaphysical view of naturalism. Given this, perhaps it would be better for them not to define themselves in opposition to the more conventional religions. Instead, focus on interpreting the universe through naturalistic lens. In other words, they should focus more on the naturalism part rather than identifying themselves as being not theistic, not religious, not believers in heaven, and so on. Otherwise, they appear adversarial and parasitic.

I think they appear to be calling the government to account for violating the Constitution.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mick » Apr 18, 2014 9:11 pm

orpheus wrote:
Mick wrote:It is interesting to see that this organization is adopting the standard approach to atheism, the affirmation that no deity exists. What's more, the sign they proposed commits them to the metaphysical view of naturalism. Given this, perhaps it would be better for them not to define themselves in opposition to the more conventional religions. Instead, focus on interpreting the universe through naturalistic lens. In other words, they should focus more on the naturalism part rather than identifying themselves as being not theistic, not religious, not believers in heaven, and so on. Otherwise, they appear adversarial and parasitic.

I think they appear to be calling the government to account for violating the Constitution.

What relevance does that have to what I said?
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#17  Postby orpheus » Apr 18, 2014 10:28 pm

Ah, I misunderstood you, Mick. I thought you were talking about their standpoint re this controversy.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby SkyMutt » Apr 18, 2014 11:02 pm

The approach to atheism that Marshall wants to promote is completely irrelevant to the question of whether the mayor's refusal to allow his "Reason Station" is contrary to the Constitution or not.

As for appearing adversarial and parasitic, the Catholic church opposes the government allowing legal abortion (adversarial) and gains a large part of its income by taking money from its congregants, while enjoying a tax-exempt status (parasitic). It would seem that if Marshall appears adversarial and parasitic, that is entirely in keeping with his attempt to be treated with the same consideration as any religion.
Serious, but not entirely serious.
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Weaver » Apr 19, 2014 1:01 pm

You really think, that as a theist with a record of supporting one of the most intrusive, adversarial and parasitic sects of a major religion in history, that you are in a position to advise this group on how to best avoid annoying the powers that be?
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Mick » Apr 19, 2014 6:07 pm

SkyMutt wrote:

The approach to atheism that Marshall wants to promote is completely irrelevant to the question of whether the mayor's refusal to allow his "Reason Station" is contrary to the Constitution or not.

As for appearing adversarial and parasitic, the Catholic church opposes the government allowing legal abortion (adversarial) and gains a large part of its income by taking money from its congregants, while enjoying a tax-exempt status (parasitic). It would seem that if Marshall appears adversarial and parasitic, that is entirely in keeping with his attempt to be treated with the same consideration as any religion.

You're not understanding. By adversarial and parasitic, I mean that his focus seems to be on just being contrary to theism or the varying religions rather than focusing on developing naturalism as a worldview. By extension, his efforts look parasitic, because his philosophy is defined in terms of religion (particularly what it is not) rather than develop a sort of conceptual independence. Catholicism doesn't do this in the same way and to the same extent, not at all. This fellow needs to define naturalism without constantly referring back to religion. It's like a politician whose only platform is "I'm not the incumbent!" It gets old. Okay, naturalists, we get it--you're not us. But what are you?!?
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism