Miley Cyrus tweets Lawrence Krauss quote on "starstuff"

Incites rage from Christian fans and followers

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Miley Cyrus tweets Lawrence Krauss quote on "starstuff"

#81  Postby MoonLit » Mar 10, 2012 12:47 am

HughMcB wrote:Does this now mean that I'm allowed to openly like Miley Cyrus?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 10, 2012 2:23 am

G'wan, click the button, you know you want to. :)
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#83  Postby CIS » Mar 10, 2012 3:42 am

Miley retweeted this quote from actor Will Smith which is being reported to be a dig at her religious wacko critics:
The pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret.
CIS

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 10, 2012 10:59 am

Animavore wrote:Oh wait! He does say on the next page...

While lithium is important for some people, far more important to the rest of us are all the heavier nuclei like carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, and so on. These were not made in the Big Bang. The only place they can be made is in the fiery cores of stars. And the only way they could get into your body today is if these stars were kind enough to have exploded, spewing their products into the cosmos so they could one day coalesce in and around a small blue planet located near the star we call the Sun. Over the course of the history of our galaxy, about 200 million stars have exploded. These myriad stars sacrificed themselves, if you wish, so that one day you could be born. I suppose that qualifies them as much as anything else for the role of saviors.

Mwah. Still don't like it. Too forced an analogy, too much teleology. :snooty:

But - kudos to Miley Cyrus, if she really has forgotten about Jesus. :mrgreen:
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 10, 2012 11:00 am

CIS wrote:Miley retweeted this quote from actor Will Smith which is being reported to be a dig at her religious wacko critics:

Oh dear. Miley Cyrus goes up in my estimation, Will Smith goes down....
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#86  Postby John P. M. » Mar 10, 2012 11:07 am

Nebogipfel wrote:

He he - was about to say; that quote can be taken both ways. You took it differently than CIS (or the ones he's talking about).
It could be a dig at religious bigotry, but it could also be a dig at Krauss and others for 'inventing things they haven't seen' and 'sharing it with their big mouth'. Although the latter would put him in company with the likes of Ray Comfort.

It could also be totally unrelated, and be a dig at gossipers.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#87  Postby LIFE » Mar 10, 2012 11:40 am

John P. M. wrote:
Nebogipfel wrote:

He he - was about to say; that quote can be taken both ways. You took it differently than CIS (or the ones he's talking about).
It could be a dig at religious bigotry, but it could also be a dig at Krauss and others for 'inventing things they haven't seen' and 'sharing it with their big mouth'. Although the latter would put him in company with the likes of Ray Comfort.

It could also be totally unrelated, and be a dig at gossipers.

Slightly OT, I believe Will Smith is neither anti nor pro-religion in the sense that he's refraining from judging people on what they believe but rather on what they say and state. If that was a tweet in response to Miley then I would take this as a comment to the hatred that has been directed at Miley. The interviews I saw with Smith always address how he believes in people rather than their supernatural friendships. I'm also under the impression that Smith is a victim (typical for all kinds of artists) of not expressing himself in a non-ambiguous way. To give an example watch this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hEoc7Cr-is[/youtube]

Notice how his thoughts are bordering philosophical wibble and how he struggles a bit to express his idea of a personal belief in oneself. My guess is that -like most celebrities- he has to be very careful about his wording (for obvious reasons), hence the vague remarks. But if you pay attention occasionally some stuff slips through, notice how he dismisses 'metaphysical, esoteric nonsense' near the end...

Whilst Miley is being less vague she's still vague enough to leave room for interpretation, both ways.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Paul G » Mar 10, 2012 11:50 am

It wasn't at Cyrus, Will Smith made that comment and Cyrus shared it. Hence the "Retweeted" at the bottom and no name included in the comment.

You Twitter n00bs!
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#89  Postby LIFE » Mar 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Paul G wrote:It wasn't at Cyrus, Will Smith made that comment and Cyrus shared it. Hence the "Retweeted" at the bottom and no name included in the comment.

You Twitter n00bs!

Oh :D Yeah used Twitter at one point... but only to get a personally signed copy of Imogen Heap's latest album :naughty2:

/brag
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#90  Postby dalv8409 » Mar 17, 2012 12:53 pm

I think Miley Cyrus is at an age when a person may question religion, sure on one hand if she is an atheist then great another famous atheist but on the other hand she may become agnostic. Either way her fundie father will not be happy and will no doubt blame the non-believers and liberal religious believers in Hollywood. She is a smart attractive young woman and if she is an atheist and if she announces it then that will be good news for us at least, plus it shows the true colours of christians on twitter but let's face it so far this year many christians on twitter have shown their hatred towards us a few times.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Animavore » Mar 17, 2012 12:59 pm

No. That'll never happen unless she becomes something totally other than a singer of dreadful, dreadful kip pop. I'd rather see her abandon that than Christianity TBH.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#92  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Animavore wrote:

No. That'll never happen unless she becomes something totally other than a singer of dreadful, dreadful kip pop. I'd rather see her abandon that than Christianity TBH.

One step at a time.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#93  Postby ElDiablo » Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Animavore wrote:

She must have been reading your thoughts...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krgu__uTPlE[/youtube]
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 17, 2012 5:20 pm

LIFE wrote:
Paul G wrote:It wasn't at Cyrus, Will Smith made that comment and Cyrus shared it. Hence the "Retweeted" at the bottom and no name included in the comment.

You Twitter n00bs!

Oh :D Yeah used Twitter at one point... but only to get a personally signed copy of Imogen Heap's latest album :naughty2:

/brag

You like Heap LIFE?

I had a drink with her a few years ago after one of her gigs. Well, when I say I had a drink with her, she was standing next to me at the bar and we talked for a bit... but still, I think it's a worthy brag... :grin: :shifty:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Animavore wrote:

Musical taste is subjective... facts regarding science are not. I'd much rather see her doing what she is now.
While you don't like the music, a lot of kids (... and adults :? ) love her music. This will alienate some, but others may become more understanding.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#96  Postby Varangian » Mar 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Agrippina wrote:Be careful you might have to deal with her achy breaky heart dad. :yuk:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4M-4yDlvFo[/youtube]

Perhaps the Weird Al parody is to prefer?

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#97  Postby HughMcB » Mar 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Animavore wrote:

Do I have to listen to her music now? Can't I just put her on mute with some nice Rachmaninov in the background?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism