My psychiatrist believes in demonic possession. Help

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

My psychiatrist believes in demonic possession. Help

#1  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 09, 2019 1:26 pm

I was referred to a psychiatrist after suffering from depression after my mum died. Basically I had a breakdown triggered by my close family insisting on a Christian funeral, against my mother's wishes. I'm still suffering from it with depression and anxiety symptoms, and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say it may have triggered PTSD. My mum had temporal lobe epilepsy and used to read the old testament to me as a kid, the really fucking weird bits. Religion was not good for her mental health nor mine by her attempts to force me to believe. She eventually distanced herself from Christianity. It was a huge thing for me that she wanted a Humanist Funeral. That was completely ruled out by my family, so as "not to offend the Christians". I wasn't to tell anyone my mother's wishes. I've basically disowned my family because of what happened.

I found the shrink to be incredibly dismissive and what was supposed to be an hour long diagnosis was less that half an hour. I've ADHD and I believe it may be co-morbid with bipolar, or possibly that I'm somewhere on the autistic spectrum. I've not been able to take antidepressants due to side effects, I've been signed off work for over six months. Basically the shrink said to carry on with my private counsellor and that I didn't need to see NHS psych again. I couldn't be autistic because I am married, and I couldn't be bi-polar because antidepressants didn't send me manic. Despite the fact I told him even on low doses I felt out of control. In less than 20 minutes face to face.

I did a bit of digging and found he's HEAVILY involved in Christian Mental Health groups and believes in demonic possession. There are articles he's written on mental health that talk about Jesus and Legion for fucks sake. I believe he's completely incapable of assessing my case without bias from his batshit insane ideas. I can't believe he's employed by the NHS. He would have read my notes where I had talked at length about how traumatic my mother's funeral was specifically because of the religious aspects. There's no way such a person could comprehend that religion could be detrimental to someone's mental health.

I've been re-referred to Psych again with a different doctor, but honesty I want to take this further. I'm considering writing to my MP or the press about it but I doubt anyone is going to give much of a toss about it.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: My psychiatrist believes in demonic possession. Help

#2  Postby Thommo » May 09, 2019 1:37 pm

You could try the National Secular Society as someone to write to. I'm not sure whether there's enough there or not in that he made you uncomfortable.

I suppose there must be a regulator for psychiatry in the UK to write to if you have concerns about him, the GMC or Royal College perhaps? Whilst I doubt any one complaint about his conduct would matter on its own if other people have had a similarly bad experience it could make a difference in any future cases if he were accused of outright misconduct.
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby aban57 » May 09, 2019 1:47 pm

:this: what Thommo said. I've been in that situation where the shrink you're sent to is incapable of helping you because of his prejudice. I didn't refer to the "Order of Doctors" of my country at the time, and I regret it. Although in your case it might be hard to justify a misconduct. But again, there might have been other cases you know nothing about.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 09, 2019 2:22 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:I was referred to a psychiatrist after suffering from depression after my mum died. Basically I had a breakdown triggered by my close family insisting on a Christian funeral, against my mother's wishes. I'm still suffering from it with depression and anxiety symptoms, and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say it may have triggered PTSD. My mum had temporal lobe epilepsy and used to read the old testament to me as a kid, the really fucking weird bits. Religion was not good for her mental health nor mine by her attempts to force me to believe. She eventually distanced herself from Christianity. It was a huge thing for me that she wanted a Humanist Funeral. That was completely ruled out by my family, so as "not to offend the Christians". I wasn't to tell anyone my mother's wishes. I've basically disowned my family because of what happened.

I found the shrink to be incredibly dismissive and what was supposed to be an hour long diagnosis was less that half an hour. I've ADHD and I believe it may be co-morbid with bipolar, or possibly that I'm somewhere on the autistic spectrum. I've not been able to take antidepressants due to side effects, I've been signed off work for over six months. Basically the shrink said to carry on with my private counsellor and that I didn't need to see NHS psych again. I couldn't be autistic because I am married, and I couldn't be bi-polar because antidepressants didn't send me manic. Despite the fact I told him even on low doses I felt out of control. In less than 20 minutes face to face.

I did a bit of digging and found he's HEAVILY involved in Christian Mental Health groups and believes in demonic possession. There are articles he's written on mental health that talk about Jesus and Legion for fucks sake. I believe he's completely incapable of assessing my case without bias from his batshit insane ideas. I can't believe he's employed by the NHS. He would have read my notes where I had talked at length about how traumatic my mother's funeral was specifically because of the religious aspects. There's no way such a person could comprehend that religion could be detrimental to someone's mental health.

I've been re-referred to Psych again with a different doctor, but honesty I want to take this further. I'm considering writing to my MP or the press about it but I doubt anyone is going to give much of a toss about it.

That all sounds awful, but the bolded bit, imo, is a dangerous sign that this shrink is allowing his personal beliefs to supercede his professional knowledge and behavior.
Like the others have said, I would try looking for info from the UK medical association or a secular help organisation if you can find such a source.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 09, 2019 2:54 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:

That all sounds awful, but the bolded bit, imo, is a dangerous sign that this shrink is allowing his personal beliefs to supercede his professional knowledge and behavior.
Like the others have said, I would try looking for info from the UK medical association or a secular help organisation if you can find such a source.

The bit you bolded was the reason I was seeking another opinion before I discovered anything about his beliefs. I don't think it's likely I'm autistic the traits are better explained by my ADD, but ruling it out because I'm married and don't really have social problems. WTF? My wife has been seen by him too, very similar story and I'm fairly sure she IS high functioning autistic.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#6  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 09, 2019 3:01 pm

What a prize fucking knobhead.

https://www.bethinking.org/living-it-ou ... rists-care

"There is a tendency in secular psychology to remove all talk of morality and sin, but as a Christian I believe that this aspect somehow has to remain. Not everything is sickness."

"Yes, personal evil exists. In my work, I hear a lot of bad things. I see a fair bit of evil. I do think there is an evil force. The Bible says there is an evil being – Satan. I don't have any reason to disbelieve it."

The Bible includes occasions when people are described as having demons. Is there such a thing as demon possession?

"Yes, though some would use words like influence, affliction, and so on. It has a long tradition in church history and is also categorised in psychiatry textbooks! Some people would want to relabel the biblical accounts as descriptions of schizophrenia. Psychiatry, though, says they are different conditions.

In the New Testament, Jesus meets a number of people who are demon-possessed. Sometimes, the person also has signs of possible mental illness. Often, they do not. The idea that demon-possessed people display symptoms similar to schizophrenia is based on stigma and prejudice.

Even Legion – who lived in tombs, had night terrors, self-harmed and was so strong he could not be chained down – does not have any symptoms of schizophrenia. Every day I meet people with schizophrenia and none of them looks like that.

On the other hand, I get frustrated when people want to 'deliver' someone whom they have decided is demon-possessed when, in fact, the person is mentally ill. It really annoys me when people with mental-health problems get a bad deal.

Is the readiness to discount demon possession part of a wider attempt to rationalise the Bible?

Sometimes it is. Sometimes it's ignorance or wilful stigmatisation of mental illness – the idea that any abhorrent behaviour is mental illness. I try to believe fully in the supernatural life as well as in the reality of illness.

The lovely thing about Legion is that not only did Jesus cure him but he treated him with great respect. Legion went on to be a great evangelist, telling people in ten cities about what Jesus had done for him."
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » May 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Yup, no one's tax money should be going to this self-delusional muppet. How can he be in a position to help people with psychological problems when he can't even see his own?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 09, 2019 3:23 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:

The bit you bolded was the reason I was seeking another opinion before I discovered anything about his beliefs. I don't think it's likely I'm autistic the traits are better explained by my ADD, but ruling it out because I'm married and don't really have social problems. WTF?

Yep, that makes no sense whatsoever. It also seems like he thinks autism is one single thing, rather than a spectrum.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Fallible » May 09, 2019 6:56 pm

John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 09, 2019 7:24 pm

Yes I am Scottish. I've looked into who I might complain to up here. It was utterly bizarre to have to explain to my GP I wanted a second opinion because the guy who saw me believes that I can pray my mental health better or that I'm at risk of demons. I'm really fucking angry with the way religion exploits the mentaly ill.

I doubt anything will come of it, but I'll have a go and stick my oar in.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#11  Postby Thommo » May 09, 2019 7:30 pm

These pages might have some information relevant to your situation, sorry I don't have anything more useful to say.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotl ... plaints-s/
https://www.mygov.scot/nhs-complaints/
Help with complaints

Contact your local Patient Advice & Support Service (PASS) for independent advice and help with complaints.

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mental-health ... ealth-faqs
Scotland - Care Inspectorate (Tel: 0345 600 9527)

PS: The National Secular Society definitely does operate in Scotland as well as the rest of the UK if you did feel like they might be appropriate to turn to.
Thommo

Print view this post

#12  Postby Alan B » May 10, 2019 9:51 pm

That nutter should be certified by his own kind.
Eboy
Hope you get sorted out soon - with a proper psychiatrist
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » May 11, 2019 3:41 am

Can't you just go see a different therapist?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 11, 2019 4:01 am

laklak wrote:Can't you just go see a different therapist?

I've asked for a second opinion. However, I can't just go to who I want on the NHS. Only who I get assigned to. Basically if I want a shrink that doesn't think it might be demons, I have to pay to go private or go back on the waiting list. Which could be months again.

I'm seeing a counselor but that's out my own pocket. I've been signed off work for six months so money is getting tight now.

Now whilst some of this could be seen as the failure Social Healthcare, I do have to stress requiring a second opinion on the impact of religious based trauma because you were sent to a fruitloop that recommendeds exorcism, is a fairly rare occurrence.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#15  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2019 11:30 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:Now whilst some of this could be seen as the failure Social Healthcare, I do have to stress requiring a second opinion on the impact of religious based trauma because you were sent to a fruitloop that recommendeds exorcism, is a fairly rare occurrence.

It's Alice in Fucking Wonderland. :(
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:Now whilst some of this could be seen as the failure Social Healthcare, I do have to stress requiring a second opinion on the impact of religious based trauma because you were sent to a fruitloop that recommendeds exorcism, is a fairly rare occurrence.

It's Alice in Fucking Wonderland. :(

It's theater of the fucking absurd. Religion has stood in the way of my good mental health my whole life. Every time I said I was depressed my mother suggested God and the church. I couldn't make friends, God and the church. I was openly saying I was an atheist in response to this by probably around age 10. All the way through until I was about 17 when I told her I would leave home and basically sever all ties unless she stopped this approach. She had temporal lobe epilepsy which I believe effected her personality. I only stop short of saying what I went through was abuse because my story feels relatively mild compared to others, and my parents were relatively moderate Christians.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#17  Postby Mirrorless » May 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Frankly I’m surprised this so called medic can get away with this in the NHS. I’m pretty sure there are rules about imposing religious views on one’s practice. Given the number of Muslims and Hindus as well as Christians working in the system you can’t have people bringing their superstitious nonsense with them and making rules willynilly.

This sounds right out of bounds to me.

Edit: took the time to look a bit more into this. Just one NHS region’s policy - but they all reflect similar values:

‘Person centred care requires of every clinician the willingness to focus on what is important for the patient and consider how that might be held within the assessment, treatment and recovery planning stages.
Inevitably there will be occasions when the service user's focus is in conflict with your own sense (professional and personal) of what is ‘best’. Herein lies the challenge and the joy of working with someone to improve their health and well being, rather than doing what you believe is best for them and treating their condition, without reference to their own values, beliefs and lifestyle’.

http://www.nsft.nhs.uk/Event/Documents/ ... 0staff.pdf

And hello all.
Mirrorless

Name: G K Generous

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Nontheism