New Caucus in US Congress

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

New Caucus in US Congress

#1  Postby Alan C » May 06, 2018 5:12 am

A core of four US members of congress have started a new caucus to support non-theists.
This week, Democratic Reps. Jared Huffman (CA), Jamie Raskin (MD), Jerry McNerney (CA), and Dan Kildee (MI) announced the formation of a new caucus, known as the Congressional Freethought Caucus, to safeguard the interests of nontheists in government, and to promote policies based, in their view, on reason and science.

I should think promoting policies based on reason and science should be the fucking default.

This week in god
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: New Caucus in US Congress

#2  Postby Shagz » May 06, 2018 5:58 am

Well, in the past, politicians in the US would probably claim that it is the default, and that a "Freethought Caucus" would be unnecessary. Of course, they'd be wrong.

Anyway, good for them.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby aban57 » May 07, 2018 12:45 pm

First sentence of the article :

First up from the God Machine this week is a new faith group on Capitol Hill that, for the first time in history, exists for members of Congress who aren’t religious.

:nono: :nono: :nono:
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby THWOTH » May 07, 2018 3:23 pm

I guess that mean their political careers are over come election time.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby PensivePenny » Jun 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Going out on a limb here, I'm guessing there are no Republicans in that Freethought Caucus?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Seabass » Jun 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Holy shit. Merkin politicians coming out as atheists? This seems kind of a big deal...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

#7  Postby Seabass » Jun 07, 2018 7:53 pm

THWOTH wrote:I guess that mean their political careers are over come election time.

I will pray to God so that He may protect them. :pray:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Seabass » Jun 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Seabass

Print view this post

#9  Postby PensivePenny » Jun 07, 2018 9:25 pm

Can one member comprise a caucus?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Nontheism