Ratskep on Atheism+

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5621  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Not really, I'm bored with this already and might be wrong anyway. I was just trying to explain what they were actually responding to, and why they used the word "harassment" the way they did. Since there is no one from A+ to explain their reasoning I was trying to. But I won't anymore because I don't care enough and don't even understand it all myself.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.


Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
User avatar
Imagination Theory
 
Posts: 5981

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5622  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2013 5:29 pm

stijndeloose wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:Yes, that is what A+ thinks of as harassment. That is why they seem to use it where it shouldn't be used. And abuse to them is whenever a person feels abused. That is how they use those terms. Some people feel confused how x can be harassment or abuse over at A+ and that is why. Also, once someone says they feel abused or harassed if you try to question them about it that is called "gas lighting" and one can be banned for it.


Eowyn Entwife didn't exactly leave much room for the possibility that it was a matter of interpretation, though. Her post is a fairly straightforward accusation of intentional harassment.

Imagination Theory wrote:So, with the limerick thing 3 people there felt harassed. So Globe (and anyone else who makes someone feel something bad) was suppose to try to understand where they were coming from, not get on the defensive (which some thought was threatening) and then say "sorry".


Then Eowyn should understand how accusation of intentional harassment affect people. Glob the Funct had every right to call her on that.



Surely it must be harassment to keep levelling charges of harassment at people? :think:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27416
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5623  Postby stijndeloose » Jan 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Nah. It's like accusing innocent men of being rapists. It's ok.
Image
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
User avatar
stijndeloose
Banned User
 
Name: Stdlnjo
Posts: 18554
Age: 40
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5624  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 13, 2013 5:33 pm

stijndeloose wrote:Glob the Funct had every right to call her on that.


I'm having bad flashbacks to the days of Usenet. Classic flame with funct and glob.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29349
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5625  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:Not really, I'm bored with this already and might be wrong anyway. I was just trying to explain what they were actually responding to, and why they used the word "harassment" the way they did. Since there is no one from A+ to explain their reasoning I was trying to. But I won't anymore because I don't care enough and don't even understand it all myself.


Humpty-Dumpty definitions of 'harassment' are of no fucking general use. Read it and weep,
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29349
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5626  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 13, 2013 5:37 pm

stijndeloose wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:Yes, that is what A+ thinks of as harassment. That is why they seem to use it where it shouldn't be used. And abuse to them is whenever a person feels abused. That is how they use those terms. Some people feel confused how x can be harassment or abuse over at A+ and that is why. Also, once someone says they feel abused or harassed if you try to question them about it that is called "gas lighting" and one can be banned for it.


Eowyn Entwife didn't exactly leave much room for the possibility that it was a matter of interpretation, though. Her post is a fairly straightforward accusation of intentional harassment.

Imagination Theory wrote:So, with the limerick thing 3 people there felt harassed. So Globe (and anyone else who makes someone feel something bad) was suppose to try to understand where they were coming from, not get on the defensive (which some thought was threatening) and then say "sorry".


Then Eowyn should understand how accusation of intentional harassment affect people. Glob the Funct had every right to call her on that.


I keep on getting his name wrong. Not on A+, no. If someone says "I feel abused, I feel harassed" no one can question that without it being "gas lighting". Also, when someone says "I feel abused, I feel harassed" that doesn't always mean they are saying "you are an abuser, you are a harasser". That is why one should not get upset. One is suppose to say "sorry" and understand what they did wrong.

This isn't what I think, I actually disagree with it, but those are the rules and guidelines at A+.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.


Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
User avatar
Imagination Theory
 
Posts: 5981

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5627  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:Not really, I'm bored with this already and might be wrong anyway. I was just trying to explain what they were actually responding to, and why they used the word "harassment" the way they did. Since there is no one from A+ to explain their reasoning I was trying to. But I won't anymore because I don't care enough and don't even understand it all myself.


Humpty-Dumpty definitions of 'harassment' are of no fucking general use. Read it and weep,


:o I'm shocked. Just joking, I know that. I don't write well and confused a lot of people by what I meant. I guess I don't do gossip well. I should have at least wrote all the names there, then it wouldn't look as much as "me" talking, but I am lazy. :nono:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.


Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
User avatar
Imagination Theory
 
Posts: 5981

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5628  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2013 5:46 pm

stijndeloose wrote:Nah. It's like accusing innocent men of being rapists. It's ok.



You know... I don't know why I am complaining. I always fancied being the first xenoanthropologist, and here's the perfect training ground.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27416
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5629  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:
stijndeloose wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:Yes, that is what A+ thinks of as harassment. That is why they seem to use it where it shouldn't be used. And abuse to them is whenever a person feels abused. That is how they use those terms. Some people feel confused how x can be harassment or abuse over at A+ and that is why. Also, once someone says they feel abused or harassed if you try to question them about it that is called "gas lighting" and one can be banned for it.


Eowyn Entwife didn't exactly leave much room for the possibility that it was a matter of interpretation, though. Her post is a fairly straightforward accusation of intentional harassment.

Imagination Theory wrote:So, with the limerick thing 3 people there felt harassed. So Globe (and anyone else who makes someone feel something bad) was suppose to try to understand where they were coming from, not get on the defensive (which some thought was threatening) and then say "sorry".


Then Eowyn should understand how accusation of intentional harassment affect people. Glob the Funct had every right to call her on that.


I keep on getting his name wrong. Not on A+, no. If someone says "I feel abused, I feel harassed" no one can question that without it being "gas lighting". Also, when someone says "I feel abused, I feel harassed" that doesn't always mean they are saying "you are an abuser, you are a harasser". That is why one should not get upset. One is suppose to say "sorry" and understand what they did wrong.

This isn't what I think, I actually disagree with it, but those are the rules and guidelines at A+.



Surely this is wide open to abuse?

Can't people just close down everything via this magical word?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27416
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5630  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:Not really, I'm bored with this already and might be wrong anyway. I was just trying to explain what they were actually responding to, and why they used the word "harassment" the way they did. Since there is no one from A+ to explain their reasoning I was trying to. But I won't anymore because I don't care enough and don't even understand it all myself.


Humpty-Dumpty definitions of 'harassment' are of no fucking general use. Read it and weep,


:o I'm shocked. Just joking, I know that. I don't write well and confused a lot of people by what I meant. I guess I don't do gossip well. I should have at least wrote all the names there, then it wouldn't look as much as "me" talking, but I am lazy. :nono:


I think that there is no escaping that it is you talking. Occupational hazard. :cheers: :drunk:
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29349
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5631  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Yes, very much yes, that is why there are so many locked and deleted posts and threads (there are threads pages and pages long that just get deleted). It has also happened a few times where two people each say the other is abusing or harassing them, then the mods just choose a side which they aren't suppose to do. It is stupid. I hate how one can't even defend ones self. If someone "feels" something then that is the truth of it. Oh, and say two or more people are talking about a place or thing, the one that doesn't like the place or thing, because they felt bad there is the one who is right it. Always.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.


Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
User avatar
Imagination Theory
 
Posts: 5981

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5632  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:Not really, I'm bored with this already and might be wrong anyway. I was just trying to explain what they were actually responding to, and why they used the word "harassment" the way they did. Since there is no one from A+ to explain their reasoning I was trying to. But I won't anymore because I don't care enough and don't even understand it all myself.


Humpty-Dumpty definitions of 'harassment' are of no fucking general use. Read it and weep,


:o I'm shocked. Just joking, I know that. I don't write well and confused a lot of people by what I meant. I guess I don't do gossip well. I should have at least wrote all the names there, then it wouldn't look as much as "me" talking, but I am lazy. :nono:


I think that there is no escaping that it is you talking. Occupational hazard. :cheers: :drunk:


I guessed you or someone else was going to say that! :lol:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.


Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
User avatar
Imagination Theory
 
Posts: 5981

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5633  Postby stijndeloose » Jan 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:I keep on getting his name wrong. Not on A+, no. If someone says "I feel abused, I feel harassed" no one can question that without it being "gas lighting". Also, when someone says "I feel abused, I feel harassed" that doesn't always mean they are saying "you are an abuser, you are a harasser". That is why one should not get upset. One is suppose to say "sorry" and understand what they did wrong.


Saying you feel harassed is one thing, accusing someone else of actually harassing you - as Eowyn did - is another.
Image
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
User avatar
stijndeloose
Banned User
 
Name: Stdlnjo
Posts: 18554
Age: 40
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5634  Postby scott1328 » Jan 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

Surely this is wide open to abuse?

Can't people just close down everything via this magical word?


There is something in operation over there I like to call the Thymarchy (from the Greek "thyma" meaning victim) which determines how and if you can silence dissent by claiming victimhood.

A straight, white, cis-gendered, neuro-typical male person can never claim abuse. All newcomers to the forum are considered to be this. Your rank in the thymarchy depends on how many adjectives you can strike off that list before you commit an infraction.
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8671
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5635  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:Yes, very much yes, that is why there are so many locked and deleted posts and threads (there are threads pages and pages long that just get deleted). It has also happened a few times where two people each say the other is abusing or harassing them, then the mods just choose a side which they aren't suppose to do. It is stupid. I hate how one can't even defend ones self. If someone "feels" something then that is the truth of it. Oh, and say two or more people are talking about a place or thing, the one that doesn't like the place or thing, because they felt bad there is the one who is right it. Always.



After being abused by the - I would say professional, but presumably they don't make money from it - amateur victims... do people bother coming back?

A+theism looks like an online Lord of the Flies.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27416
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5636  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2013 6:11 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Surely this is wide open to abuse?

Can't people just close down everything via this magical word?


There is something in operation over there I like to call the Thymarchy (from the Greek "thyma" meaning victim) which determines how and if you can silence dissent by claiming victimhood.

A straight, white, cis-gendered, neuro-typical male person can never claim abuse. All newcomers to the forum are considered to be this. Your rank in the thymarchy depends on how many adjectives you can strike off that list before you commit an infraction.



What if I am a lesbian, black, transgendered, idiot female who also has the crushing disability of having been born into the body of a straight, white, cis-gendered, neuro-typical male?

I think I've found the chink in their impermeable (to reason) armour!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27416
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5637  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm

stijndeloose wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:I keep on getting his name wrong. Not on A+, no. If someone says "I feel abused, I feel harassed" no one can question that without it being "gas lighting". Also, when someone says "I feel abused, I feel harassed" that doesn't always mean they are saying "you are an abuser, you are a harasser". That is why one should not get upset. One is suppose to say "sorry" and understand what they did wrong.


Saying you feel harassed is one thing, accusing someone else of actually harassing you - as Eowyn did - is another.


Sometimes the mods do say "we know you feel harassed but don't call whoever a harasser ...yet". They didn't this time. Maybe they changed the rules and guidelines again? I think it was wrong to do that and wrong to suspended him for asking what she meant.

So, to anyone who knows, what did the limerick mean? I still don't get what " then she felt ill" means? Ill how?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.


Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
User avatar
Imagination Theory
 
Posts: 5981

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5638  Postby stijndeloose » Jan 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Dunno. Maybe he mistrusts bankers... :dunno:
Image
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
User avatar
stijndeloose
Banned User
 
Name: Stdlnjo
Posts: 18554
Age: 40
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5639  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:
Sometimes the mods do say "we know you feel harassed but don't call whoever a harasser ...yet". They didn't this time. Maybe they changed the rules and guidelines again? I think it was wrong to do that and wrong to suspended him for asking what she meant.


What? More gossip? Why is gossip so useless, IT? Because it is about what people did, instead of about what they believe.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29349
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5640  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 13, 2013 6:33 pm

stijndeloose wrote:Dunno. Maybe he mistrusts bankers... :dunno:


That is how I read it, that the banker made her feel ill because of the lots of stuff bankers do that makes people feel ill. I thought it went well with Buckles limerick.

As a Vogon, I must point out that your poetry is absolutely stunning!

In your honour:

There was a young lady called Buckle
Who lived life with calmness and chill
Until she dealt with a banker
who was a real wanker
and she ended up feeling quite ill.


I'm pretty sure it is the "and she ended up feeling quite ill" line that has the harassment in it, if one views it as harassment. :think:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.


Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
User avatar
Imagination Theory
 
Posts: 5981

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest