Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Atheism+ hits the MSM

#5661  Postby Robert_S » Jan 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Robert_S wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
OlivierK wrote:http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3605

:picard:

I bet Orenda would have got a completely different reaction if she wasn't someone already suspected of ungoodthink.

Damnit!

You made me look again!

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 605#p63212

Stop this immediately.

You may *not* continue this comparison between alcohol and drugs with sexual assault. You may not.

Fucking wannabe tyrants.

I agree with the sentiment. I used to drink alcoholically and while it can be devastating to mind, body and finances; I doubt it's traumatic in the same way rape is.

The sentiment being that such things need to be stored away with warnings on so that people can't click on them, accidentally allow their eyes to wander along words that somehow cause them to magically continue reading until they fall into a desperate scenario of reliving their traumatic past?

Or the sentiment that alcoholism is, for the victim, as functionally traumatic as rape?

Ok, I guess the latter. I have to stop seeing Hattery everywhere! :lol:

I hold the sentiment that comparing alcoholism to rape is ridiculous and that the non-drinking alcoholic shouldn't require trigger warnings.

Fuck. All I need is to be able to leave a drinking situation for a minute or two usually. Sometimes I have to call it an early night when I'm feeling a little... thirsty. But that's pretty rare.
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

#5662  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Jan 14, 2013 12:02 am

Spearthrower wrote:If I have to be one of them to be atheist, I am not atheist - I am someone who just happens not to believe in gods.

Actually, if you don't believe in God you are an atheist. Doesn't matter if you don't want to be called one. You still are one.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#5663  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 14, 2013 1:19 am

And the circus keeps on rolling throwing off anyone who sounds like they might be making a point.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5664  Postby laklak » Jan 14, 2013 3:43 am

ceepolk wrote:
I do not feel that extending a possibly superfluous measure to help people not stumble into their personal struggles is onerous.

WTF? No, seriously, WTF?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5665  Postby Robert_S » Jan 14, 2013 4:46 am

:sigh:

I understand on a much deeper level now how some women might despise some forms of feminism.

I'm an alkie. If I drink, it could very easily lead back into the downward spiral of pain, misery, hopelessness... my life could become a sad country song AGAIN!

But dammit I'll use :cheers: if I mean good cheer on an internet forum. I want no special treatment! I'd rather have a drink carelessly spilled on my than have people walk on eggshells lest they trigger me.

I could go on, but it would be pointless.
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

#5666  Postby scott1328 » Jan 14, 2013 5:04 am

Robert_S wrote::sigh:

I understand on a much deeper level now how some women might despise some forms of feminism.

I'm an alkie. If I drink, it could very easily lead back into the downward spiral of pain, misery, hopelessness... my life could become a sad country song AGAIN!

But dammit I'll use :cheers: if I mean good cheer on an internet forum. I want no special treatment! I'd rather have a drink carelessly spilled on my than have people walk on eggshells lest they trigger me.

:cheers: what are saying? People on the RatSkep forum are not responsible to ensure that you only have pleasant experiences and nary a troubling memory at all. My God man! what do you think Internet forums are for?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5667  Postby Robert_S » Jan 14, 2013 5:11 am

scott1328 wrote:

:cheers: what are saying? People on the RatSkep forum are not responsible to ensure that you only have pleasant experiences and nary a troubling memory at all. My God man! what do you think Internet forums are for?

:cheers: To some goddamn dignity!
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

#5668  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jan 14, 2013 5:46 am

Stop this immediately. (Pounds fists on the table, nostrils flair, pee runs down leg... all control of bodily functions has gone out of the window. The hangers-on wait with glee and anticipation for what they know must and will come...)

You may *not* continue this comparison (that we’ve all dreamed up in our tiny wittle minds) between alcohol and drugs with sexual assault. You may not. (The pee begins to flow again, only this time it’s like a torrential rainfall. The membership dons lifejackets as a safety precaution.) I don't want to hear another word of it from you. (At this point the nose lasers are charged and ready to fire, the temporary BAN button is at the ready.) You have had the reasons why explained to you quite adequately by the members already, (Ah the members... that bastion of nonsensical dribble who won’t know what fucking day of the week it was even if they owned a calendar factory... No! Make that 2 calendar factories.) and the fact that it's taking moderator action to end it is vexatious. (A dictionary is a wondrous thing to behold!)

In fact I wish to make something absolutely clear to you. (Oh fuck! Now the members are starting to pee too... Man the lifeboats; batten down the hatches!)

If someone tells you that an argument, (or even a piece of fluff) you are making is disturbing to them, if they tell you that your argument is triggering them, (Oh how Trigger and Roy Rogers made such a good team :heart: ) you are expected to stop making the argument. Because you were asked to stop doing this more than once, I'm going to give you a week off. (The floodgates are now open, the collective pee running down their legs is rising and threatening to sink the forum, the Titanic, even in its darkest moments, never knew such an onslaught of fluid!)

Why a week? (Ah ha! Showing off one’s calendar knowledge to the rest of the membership... a guaranteed winner as we all know.) Because you just asked a question (Questions are not allowed, only abject nodding in 100% agreement is the way to navigate this forum of idiocy.) about this very stunt in the thread about "just a joke" and were told that the problem was not the initial incident, but the response of the person asked to stop doing that thing because it made people uncomfortable. (What the fuck was that all about? Doesn’t matter... All-knowing has spoken.)

Therefore, you really should have known better than to pull exactly the same stunt here, and I'm going to give these members a break from your behavior. (They need a break... their brains have been running on empty for so long, and a question, any question could destroy the delicate equilibrium.)

It is my hope that you will actually learn this time. (And it’s my fervent hope that you and your brain will once again be reunited in the not too distant future.)
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5669  Postby OlivierK » Jan 14, 2013 6:25 am

Yeah, you were spot on calling them out for being Portlandia Bookstore feminists over the limerick. I'm not surprised they were hostile to that (and I'm certainly not surprised they were assholes to you about it, either).

I really don't think they believe it's possible to damage their own cause through their behaviour, and they may have a point. I'm not going to suddenly oppose social justice, or renounce feminism, just because of the existence of feminist assholes. I already knew there were assholes amongst feminists, just as there are in any group of humans. :dunno: And hell, I read their forum voluntarily for the car-crash value, so I only have myself to blame. :lol:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5670  Postby Robert_S » Jan 14, 2013 6:59 am

I think I've said most of what I have to say to A+.

Were it not for PZ drawing attention to Rationalia, I would never have paid much attention.
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

Atheism+

#5671  Postby juju7 » Jan 14, 2013 8:24 am

I see there is already a topic on this forum, but it is getting a bit long.

I have been looking at that site and it appears that hardly anyone can say anything controversial without being visciously attacked.

What is going on?
juju7
Banned Sockpuppet

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism+

#5672  Postby stijndeloose » Jan 14, 2013 8:29 am

As I said: Lords of the Flies+.
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5673  Postby Scarlett » Jan 14, 2013 9:01 am

I think Orenda's taking the piss, I think that particular OP stinks of irony :coffee:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5674  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

Taking the piss or not Orenda does raise a valid point if you are going to trigger warning things you have to be prepared for people to want their particular triggers to be put behind such warnings. I see little point in them at all but what is good for the goose must be good for the gander.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5675  Postby Scarlett » Jan 14, 2013 9:47 am

Having been an observer since the beginnings of A+ I think I know why there's so much anger. It's been touched on in the other thread.

There are a great many people on A+ who, rightly or purely in their own imaginations, feel or are marginalised. These people really feel they are being shit on on a daily basis, some possibly are, so when given their "safe space" they are the one's with the power. They can tell the "privileged" to fuck off as much as they like in ways that they feel they can't in RL. It was likened to the Stanford Prison Experiment, I think a good analogy.

Some are, of course, just total arseholes who would find trouble in an empty house.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5676  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 14, 2013 12:13 pm

The site is not a debating forum like here, for example, and that is one reason why some - like myself - have found it hard to engage with others over there. I can understand that fully now, though it was not immediatedly obvious at first and I just treated as I would here. I can appreciate that it is a place for the marginalised to go to feel safe from hate and fear and I have zero problem with that and also that in their house, I have to abide by their rules. I no longer post there, due to the possibility of me being perma banned but regularly lurk instead. And believe it or not I do learn from them. I know those on this side do not have a high opinion of them but that feeling is mutual so it is swings and roundabouts, unfortunately

I do not do hate or fear, so I engage with anyone and everyone. I do not care who you are or what you are or any of that now, as long as you are prepared to engage with me, then I will with you too. So I try to take from them what I can and learn. They may not be very receptive to me, but as I said before, their house, their rules. I fully support their aims, but I disagree with the methodology they are employing to secure them. But my opinion counts for nothing as I am not one of them, and in all honesty, why should it ? I have certainly been made to think of how privileged I am. Previously, I only thought of privilege in relation to economics but now see it has a much broader interpretation. And in spite of all the negativity they have received from this side, I am glad they exist for they make me feel uncomfortable and that is good for it makes me think and anyone or anything that can do that gets the thumbs up from me. So long may they continue if just for that reason

I do hope however that all the negativity - on both sides - will over time disappear and that the atheist community can go back to doing what it does best which is having skepticism as the natural default position and focusing on that rather than all the other nonsense. But I am not expecting that to happen any time soon. For my part I will continue to openly and positively engage with anyone and everyone. I do not expect or demand others to do the same. It is not my place to lecture others on how they behave, but far as I am concerned I will try - as usual - to be constructive at all times, regardless of reciprocation
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#5677  Postby Billy Liar » Jan 15, 2013 12:17 am

I'm torn between finding them absolutely maddening and loathsome (mainly for their sheer pomposity and self-importance), and...well, finding some of the arguments quite interesting. They do bring up aspects of racism, for example, which never would have occurred to me before. And I think Paula's summary is pretty spot-on.

That limerick thread was a new low, though. I understand their arguments on it perfectly well, but there's a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do double standard all the same: I don't believe for a second any of them would have adopted an 'Apologise first, ask for clarification later' attitude if put in the same position as Glob.
Billy Liar

Print view this post

#5678  Postby Animavore » Jan 15, 2013 12:19 am

The limerick thread :ask:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5679  Postby Billy Liar » Jan 15, 2013 12:26 am

How many Atheism+ mods does it take to change a lightbulb?
None - they just ask everyone else to disengage.
Billy Liar

Print view this post

#5680  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 15, 2013 12:33 am

juju7 wrote:I see there is already a topic on this forum, but it is getting a bit long.

I have been looking at that site and it appears that hardly anyone can say anything controversial without being visciously attacked.

What is going on?

Overwhelming sense of self importance? :dunno:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism