Richard Dawkins KPFA Radio event cancelled

because he promotes "Islamaphobia"

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Richard Dawkins KPFA Radio event cancelled

#1  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 26, 2017 2:17 pm

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/07/21/ ... ets-islam/

“We had booked this event based entirely on his excellent new book on science when we didn’t know he had offended and hurt – in his tweets and other comments on Islam, so many people,” KPFA said in an email sent to ticket buyers. “KPFA does not endorse hurtful speech. While KPFA emphatically supports serious free speech, we do not support abusive speech. We apologize for not having had broader knowledge of Dawkins views much earlier.”

Of course, it's their forum, they can invite or disinvite whomever they want, but it does seem pretty hypocritical of them to take such offense to criticisms of Islam.

Here's a blog post from the Washington Post that, IMO, sums up the argument pretty well, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... e0ac7c83df
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Richard Dawkins KPFA Radio event cancelled

#2  Postby tuco » Jul 26, 2017 3:20 pm

I am not going to read all related material as there seems to be a lot however:

“I think Islam is the greatest force for evil in the world today. I’ve said so, often and loudly.”

I would not call criticism nor phobic, just dumb.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby DKeane » Jul 26, 2017 3:27 pm

His full statement that included that single line adds some context
“It’s tempting to say all religions are bad, and I do say all religions are bad, but it’s a worse temptation to say all religions are equally bad because they’re not,” he added.
“If you look at the actual impact that different religions have on the world it’s quite apparent that at present the most evil religion in the world has to be Islam.
“It’s terribly important to modify that because of course that doesn’t mean all Muslims are evil, very far from it. Individual Muslims suffer more from Islam than anyone else.
“They suffer from the homophobia, the misogyny, the joylessness which is preached by extreme Islam, Isis and the Iranian regime.
“So it is a major evil in the world, we do have to combat it, but we don’t do what Trump did and say all Muslims should be shut out of the country. That’s draconian, that’s illiberal, inhumane and wicked. I am against Islam not least because of the unpleasant effects it has on the lives of Muslims.”
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I am afraid it does not as it comes from his Twitter:

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/stat ... 04?lang=en

I could go line by line over the context and deconstruct it but that is not on topic.

However, its brain farts like the one I quoted, which in my opinion are not necessary for propagation of Mr. Dawkins cause and contribute more to Mr. Dawkins lets say reputation among certain groups than more or less reasoned context.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby DKeane » Jul 26, 2017 3:51 pm

I loathe Twitter - there is no room for nuance or full explanations. I suspect Dawkins would have a better image if he was never on the medium.

I should note that regardless of the exact origin of the quote, the full statement I posted above does add context to the twitter post also. I haven't looked to see if he expanded upon that Twitter post in 2013. It is possible he is attempting to moderate his statements post-hoc, but I don' think that is the case based upon my reading of him.
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Briton » Jul 26, 2017 3:59 pm

I don't like the use of the term evil in this context. It's unnecessary and counter productive. Also; I think we should try and talk about the Abrahamic cults as one when generalising like this, rather than singling out one division as being worse than another. As Dawkins points out; how bad/damaging one particular subset of this obnoxious creed is changes with time.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » Jul 26, 2017 4:11 pm

ISIS isn't evil. Saudi and Iranian torture and beheading isn't evil?
A highly appropriate term in my books.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby tuco » Jul 26, 2017 4:13 pm

DKeane wrote:I loathe Twitter - there is no room for nuance or full explanations. I suspect Dawkins would have a better image if he was never on the medium.

I should note that regardless of the exact origin of the quote, the full statement I posted above does add context to the twitter post also. I haven't looked to see if he expanded upon that Twitter post in 2013. It is possible he is attempting to moderate his statements post-hoc, but I don' think that is the case based upon my reading of him.

Fair enough. It does add context to his stance. Still, it does not mean that such context is relevant for those who use his own imo dumb utterances against him.

btw greatest force of evil in the world is poverty, dumb or not? ;)

As for KPFA, being hypocritical, I know virtually nothing about their agenda so I cant really comment.
tuco

Print view this post

#9  Postby Briton » Jul 26, 2017 5:55 pm

felltoearth wrote:ISIS isn't evil. Saudi and Iranian torture and beheading isn't evil?

Yes that's exactly what I was saying. :roll:
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby felltoearth » Jul 27, 2017 1:37 am

Briton wrote:
felltoearth wrote:ISIS isn't evil. Saudi and Iranian torture and beheading isn't evil?

Yes that's exactly what I was saying. :roll:

I get what you were saying about generalizing, so it's more about generalizing the term evil than the term itself?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 27, 2017 2:48 am

KBFA caved. RD got stiffed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 29, 2017 11:05 am

Is that a typo, or something? ISIS did beheading too, yet you seem to exclude them from the "evil" list. (NB, you don't have to be religious to regard some behaviours as "evil".)
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby felltoearth » Jul 29, 2017 1:43 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

Is that a typo, or something? ISIS did beheading too, yet you seem to exclude them from the "evil" list. (NB, you don't have to be religious to regard some behaviours as "evil".)

Yes it's a typo.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby NamelessFaceless » Aug 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Dawkins discusses the issue on Fox News:

NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby tuco » Aug 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Its not a big mystery Richard. Its like Black Lives matter.
tuco

Print view this post

#16  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 10, 2017 11:11 am

felltoearth wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Yes it's a typo.

You need to be careful to avoid the kind of typo that reverses the meaning of a sentence! :naughty:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Matthew Shute » Aug 10, 2017 3:54 pm

The revolting love affair that parts of the left conduct with Islam, abandoning any semblance of liberal or progressive principle to selectively protect oppressive religious dogma from criticism, is quite the spectacle - one that only the chronically credulous or the deliberately nefarious could find endearing.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 10, 2017 4:07 pm

I think Dawkins will continue to be just fine.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Wortfish » Aug 11, 2017 10:17 pm

At least in Saudi Arabia and Iran the execution of unborn children is illegal. Why is that AI and other "human rights groups" have no complaints about millions of foetuses "aborted" in the West, some in development for over 20 weeks?
Last edited by Wortfish on Aug 11, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Wortfish » Aug 11, 2017 10:18 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:Dawkins discusses the issue on Fox News:

Strange. Dawkins would probably agree that Jews are a "race", even though the only thing that connects them is their religious heritage, but does not think Muslims are a "people".
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism