Stanfords new definition of atheism

Still bullshit

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Stanfords new definition of atheism

#261  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Then it's the lack of the proposition that god exists, which means it's still not the proposition that gods don't exist. Ho hum.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#262  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 17, 2017 1:56 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Then it's the lack of the proposition that god exists, which means it's still not the proposition that gods don't exist. Ho hum.

I thought there was no single "correct" form of atheism. Rather, atheism is the sum of all the varieties discussed above. To me, it's splitting hairs to distinguish so assiduously between them.

EDIT: Unfortunately, dictionaries have to be somewhat more pithy than that, so they are bound to be open to criticism.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#263  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 17, 2017 2:32 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
laklak wrote:How about apathetic atheism? I don't give a fuck if god exists.

That is what atheism is about. There are no subsets or anything else. That is exactly the argument theists try make. They want atheism to be a belief system so as to make comparisons as with for instance catholicism and islam.

It is nothing. An atheist just says there is no evidence of a deity existing. You dont say a deity does not exist but until evidence and that is true scientific evidence, the existence of a deity has not been proven.

Technically, that's correct, but how many rational people expect that such evidence will come along anytime soon?

To say it will never happen is probably true but cant be said.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#264  Postby monkeyboy » Aug 17, 2017 3:06 pm

That's the 6.9 on Dawkins scale position. Pretty much convinced that there are no gods bit leaving the tiniest sliver available for the really unlikely possibility that someone will come up with some evidence after so long and so much fail.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#265  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 17, 2017 4:39 pm

monkeyboy wrote:That's the 6.9 on Dawkins scale position. Pretty much convinced that there are no gods bit leaving the tiniest sliver available for the really unlikely possibility that someone will come up with some evidence after so long and so much fail.

Evidence for what? Deities were originally characters invented in stories told by members of pre-scientific cultures, people who made shit up in their hopeless ignorance to try to explain something about the world. Every philosopher who has ever tried to make deities into the relata of a property exemplification nexus (it's a joke, son) has borrowed the concept from them and then tried to dress it up to predicate ontology purely because it occurred to somebody. What kind of woo do you have to be willing to swallow to take that kind of philosophy seriously? Looking for evidence of something that was originally a story-character is a fool's errand, and it is a mistake to forget that in chasing after the suggestion that anything that can be conceived to exist is a candidate for a search for evidence.

The other route is to apply the word 'existence' to characters in stories, when it's the stories that leave you with the evidence. You have no opportunity to re-invent deities in such a way that evidence of them remains an unlikely possibility for which some poor slob is going to find evidence. What's the alternative? That ignorant pre-scientific people have a special spidey-sense that permits them to detect the presence of deities. The "Dawkins Scale" is a joke. On Dawkins. Har har har.

Oh, you can call yourself an atheist with nothing more than a lack of belief in deities. It's a pretty sound course to take, but you can say more, since the only original examples we will ever have are on the books already. That is the weakness of the position. It's not a serious drawback, but it takes some work, 100 words or so, and a smattering of anthropology, to get beyond it.

SafeAsMilk wrote:Then it's the lack of the proposition that god exists, which means it's still not the proposition that gods don't exist.

It's still no mystery where anyone alive today got the idea that we should attribute (or negate) the qualifier of 'existence' for 'deities', and somebody should try explaining that to the 'philosophers' at 'Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy'.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#266  Postby NuclMan » Aug 17, 2017 5:09 pm

laklak wrote:How about apathetic atheism? I don't give a fuck if god exists.

How about apatheist? I believe there's a god that appears to not give a fuck,,,
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#267  Postby tuco » Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Let me just note that babies and rocks are not capable of confirming nor negating a proposition.

Out of curiosity, Cito di Pense, do I understand it correctly that if theism was not conceived by your favorite goat herders, but lets say steam engine monkeys, something with regards to theism would change? Because if not, goat herders are pretty much irrelevant.
tuco

Print view this post

#268  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm

tuco wrote:Let me just note that babies and rocks are not capable of confirming nor negating a proposition.

I never really got the whole babies/rock comparison. Rocks cannot, in any capacity, have anything like beliefs or propositions. My baby, on the other hand, believes and disbelieves all sorts of things. Simplistic perhaps, but in terms of capability there is no comparison.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#269  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 17, 2017 8:52 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Then it's the lack of the proposition that god exists, which means it's still not the proposition that gods don't exist. Ho hum.

I thought there was no single "correct" form of atheism. Rather, atheism is the sum of all the varieties discussed above. To me, it's splitting hairs to distinguish so assiduously between them.

EDIT: Unfortunately, dictionaries have to be somewhat more pithy than that, so they are bound to be open to criticism.

If you lack belief in gods, you're an atheist. Anything else is an add-on, but as long as the basic definition is met, you're an atheist. I don't think anyone is denying that. You might say it's splitting hairs to distinguish between someone who lacks belief and someone who actively proposes there are no gods, but when people assume the previous means a latter, the distinction is critical.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#270  Postby tuco » Aug 17, 2017 9:22 pm

I was not the one who brought babies and rocks into the debate. Whether or not your babies have believes is, to reiterate, irrelevant to the following:

If, however, “atheism” is defined in terms of theism and theism is the proposition that God exists and not the psychological condition of believing that there is a God, then it follows that atheism is not the absence of the psychological condition of believing that God exists.

From the OP, to reiterate:

It refers to the propositional content of belief, not to the attitude or psychological state of believing.

and from the OP:

Therefore, in philosophy at least, atheism ...

and from the OP:

Settling this issue, at least for the purposes of this entry, ...

Annoying as fuck to me that I have to reiterate, read how Stanford got it wrong, about babies and rocks, goat herders, and other cool stories about what atheism is to someone. But what can I do? Everyone has right to post their stuff regardless of how idiotic and annoying its to me.

What I personally find interesting, from the OP, is this piece:

If atheism is usually and best understood in philosophy as the metaphysical claim that God does not exist, then what, one might wonder, should philosophers do with the popular term, “New Atheism”? Philosophers write articles on and have devoted journal issues (French & Wettstein 2013) to the New Atheism, but there is nothing close to a consensus on how that term should be defined. Fortunately, there is no real need for one, because the term “New Atheism” does not pick out some distinctive philosophical position or phenomenon. Instead, it is a popular label for a movement prominently represented by four authors—Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens—whose work is uniformly critical of religion, but beyond that appears to be unified only by timing and popularity. Further, one might question what is new about the New Atheism. The specific criticisms of religion and of arguments used to defend religion are not new. For example, an arguably more sophisticated and convincing version of Dawkins’ central atheistic argument can be found in Hume’s Dialogues (Wielenberg 2009). Also, while Dennett (2006) makes a passionate call for the scientific study of religion as a natural phenomenon, such study existed long before this call. Indeed, even the cognitive science of religion was well established by the 1990s, and the anthropology of religion can be traced back at least to the nineteenth century. Shifting from content to style, many are surprised by the militancy of some New Atheists, but there were plenty of aggressive atheists who were quite disrespectful to religion long before Harris, Dawkins, and Hitchens. (Dennett is not especially militant.) Finally, the stereotype that New Atheism is religious or quasi-religious or ideological in some unprecedented way is clearly a false one and one that New Atheists reject. (For elaboration of these points, see Zenk 2013.)
tuco

Print view this post

#271  Postby OlivierK » Aug 17, 2017 10:38 pm

"New Atheism" is nothing but a label for the pushback against the modern enstupiding of (largely) America in both religious and New Age directions. It's an attempt to stop a slide away from Enlightenment values. The thing that's most conspicuous about New Atheism is that nothing in it is new.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#272  Postby laklak » Aug 18, 2017 3:35 am

There are actually people out there that spend an inordinate amount of time looking for evidence of Bigfoot. Silly, to most people, but not nearly as silly as looking for evidence for a fairytale. It's actually possible that a heretofore undiscovered species of large anthropoid exists. Chances are slim, but not nil.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#273  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 18, 2017 6:26 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
tuco wrote:Let me just note that babies and rocks are not capable of confirming nor negating a proposition.

I never really got the whole babies/rock comparison.

The reason is twofold:
Theists think it makes atheism look ridiculous.
Some atheists want atheism to be an intellectual position, thus only applicable to people who have really considered the matter.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#274  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 18, 2017 8:17 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:If you lack belief in gods, you're an atheist.

It has nothing to do with belief or the lack of it. That is the theist point of view. They want to put atheism there in amongst belief and non belief so that a comparisons can be made.

An atheist does not see any evidence for the existence of deities. Nothing to do with belief or non-belief.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#275  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 18, 2017 8:36 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:If you lack belief in gods, you're an atheist.

It has nothing to do with belief or the lack of it. That is the theist point of view. They want to put atheism there in amongst belief and non belief so that a comparisons can be made.

An atheist does not see any evidence for the existence of deities. Nothing to do with belief or non-belief.

Scot, belief and non-belief form a true dichotomy.
One either has belief X or one doesn't.
In the case of the belief '(a) god(s) exist', the former are theists, the latter atheists.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#276  Postby Fallible » Aug 18, 2017 8:37 am

Of course it has to do with lack of belief in a god or gods, specifically. If not, what do you think the word is for? If you don't see any evidende for the existence of deities, do you believe in them or not? If I'm a cleaner or hod carrier or binman who can't be arsed even contemplating the evidence or lack thereof of the existence of gods because I'm too busy trying to put food on the table and pay my bills, what am I?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#277  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 18, 2017 8:41 am

Sorry it has nothing to do with belief or non-belief. I dont have a lack of belief in deities. I just dont see the evidence to prove their existence.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#278  Postby OlivierK » Aug 18, 2017 8:45 am

It;s pointless trying to engage with this ^.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#279  Postby zulumoose » Aug 18, 2017 8:46 am

If you are not lacking something, it means you have it, or it means there is no requirement for it. That is the source of the dilemma.

Atheists don't have belief, but saying they lack it kinda implies it is something they should have, something they are missing. Some might view that as the beginning of a slippery slope argument.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#280  Postby Fallible » Aug 18, 2017 8:55 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Sorry it has nothing to do with belief or non-belief. I dont have a lack of belief in deities. I just dont see the evidence to prove their existence.

Are you serious? Look at what Thomas said. There is no middle option. You either hold a belief or you don't. Instead of belief, think about apples. If there is an apple in your hand, it is said that you have an apple. Conversely, if an inspection of your hand reveals no apple, one can safely say you do not have an apple. There is no middle option between having an apple and not having one, it's either one or the other.

I'll ask you again, since you ignored it then first time - what do you think the word is for if not to denote lack of belief in a deity? What does the word 'atheist' mean? What is it derived from? Where in its construction can be found reference to evidence and not seeing it?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism