Stanfords new definition of atheism

Still bullshit

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Stanfords new definition of atheism

#701  Postby Hermit » Oct 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Keep It Real wrote:...the idea that believing in no god is a lot more powerful/weapon than merely not believing in god.

You can object to the existence of particular gods and particular works they have wrought on empirical grounds, but you cannot object on the same grounds that some god exists somewhere, no matter how unbelievable the existence of one such is to you. In fact, you cannot disprove the existence of the flying teapot, the spaghetti monster or a unicorn either. No matter how many locations you point to, demonstrating convincingly as you go that none of them exist there, you'll never manage to point to all of them.

Besides, the Christian god - among others - has been defined in such manner that disproof on empirical grounds is impossible.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#702  Postby Fallible » Oct 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Fine, KIR, that’s what you think. Why do you need to extrapolate that outwards? Having a powerful weapon is of course important if you feel like you need a powerful weapon. I don’t feel that need, my main goal is not to win anything in this case of casually describing my atheism on the internet. Therefore having a powerful weapon isn’t of interest to me.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#703  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm

I mean powerful/weapon in the struggle to extirpate most religion from society :hide: I knew I shouldn't have named that track Teraform..
"Jesus had a bad weekend for our sins." - Julia Sweeney
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#704  Postby laklak » Oct 04, 2018 3:03 pm

They are impervious to weaponry, KIR. Religion is the strongest Kool-Aid around.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#705  Postby newolder » Oct 04, 2018 3:03 pm

Teraform. That's an awful lot of forms: 1012 to be exact. What's the collective noun for a group of forms? A geometry, congregation or bureaucracy? :ask:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#706  Postby Fallible » Oct 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I mean powerful/weapon in the struggle to extirpate most religion from society :hide: I knew I shouldn't have named that track Teraform..

I know, but I’m not bothered about that.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#707  Postby Thommo » Oct 04, 2018 3:21 pm

newolder wrote:Teraform. That's an awful lot of forms: 1012 to be exact. What's the collective noun for a group of forms? A geometry, congregation or bureaucracy? :ask:

A Kafka, I think.
Thommo

Print view this post

#708  Postby laklak » Oct 04, 2018 3:22 pm

A Plato.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#709  Postby Hermit » Oct 04, 2018 3:39 pm

A formation
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#710  Postby newolder » Oct 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Kafka/Bureaucracy; Plato/Geometry; Formation/Congregation.

That's an even poll so far. Anyone else...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#711  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Hermit wrote:Besides, the Christian god - among others - has been defined in such manner that disproof on empirical grounds is impossible.

That's a re-definition. Gods were in people's vocabularies long before some clever theologian came up with the brilliant idea of re-defining gods to be immune to empirical disproof. In the good old days, thunder and lightning were the empirical proof of the existence of deities. You can easily see why theologians realized they had to be a lot cleverer than that. Now we have theologians of the calibre of Wortfish insisting that irreducible complexity is the empirical proof of God's existence, a far cry from theologians who make god immune to empirical disproof.

Lacking a belief in such deities as that of Wortfish seems a little, er, weak. It's all fine, though. Me, I wouldn't let theologians drive my definition of what is entailed by deities, but theology is what has turned out to drive your definition of atheism, and maybe it's good to have a big tent that includes all the atheists. Very ecumenical, but in particular, very economical, as well.

Hermit wrote:A formation

Fuck that. Affirmation is what we really need.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#712  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 04, 2018 9:33 pm

newolder wrote:Kafka/Bureaucracy; Plato/Geometry; Formation/Congregation.

That's an even poll so far. Anyone else...

A school (of forms). It's actually meant to refer to terraforming a planet, but I guess I spelt it wrong. I'll post the track tomoz if anyone is interested to hear it. It's DnB (surprise surprise).
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#713  Postby newolder » Oct 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Drill and bass? Can't w8! :thumbup:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#714  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 04, 2018 9:53 pm

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: DRUM and bass :lol:
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#715  Postby newolder » Oct 04, 2018 10:04 pm

What's wrong with Drill 'n' Bass, tho'? :scratch:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#716  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 04, 2018 10:07 pm

I have no idea what it sounds like TBH...heard of it...go on then :presses play:
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#717  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 04, 2018 10:13 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmm reminds me of breakcore IIRC... more enjoyable though IMO...not very groovy though....nor much atmosphere...nor melody...more like just information...defo kinda liked it...if I were Borg I'd be tearing down the dance hehe
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#718  Postby Hermit » Oct 05, 2018 12:48 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:Besides, the Christian god - among others - has been defined in such manner that disproof on empirical grounds is impossible.

That's a re-definition. Gods were in people's vocabularies long before some clever theologian came up with the brilliant idea of re-defining gods to be immune to empirical disproof. In the good old days, thunder and lightning were the empirical proof of the existence of deities. You can easily see why theologians realized they had to be a lot cleverer than that. Now we have theologians of the calibre of Wortfish insisting that irreducible complexity is the empirical proof of God's existence, a far cry from theologians who make god immune to empirical disproof.

Yes.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#719  Postby Darcy » Dec 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Antitheists are just people who oppose theism. I'm pretty antitheistic and would love to see theism done away with but I have no interest in enforcing such a thing.
Darcy
Banned Spammer

Print view this post

#720  Postby felltoearth » Dec 28, 2019 3:25 pm

That would make you Apatheist.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism