The Illusions of Atheism

Do Christians and Atheists believe in fiction.

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Illusions of Atheism

#41  Postby archibald » Mar 28, 2012 7:46 pm

promethean wrote:
Objective Morality
Do you believe that some actions actually are right and some things are actually wrong (objective morality) or do you think morality is simply a cultural, social or evolutionary convention? Do absolute objective moral values exist?

IMO, no.

Can't blame you for conflating 'objective morality' with 'absolute morality'. IMO, they oughta be in the same pigeon hole, but apparently, some like to redefine the former, so that it's 'at least a bit objective, in a way, because it has some objectivity'. :)

promethean wrote:Free Will
The second illusion offered by the atheistic worldview is the existence of free will. Do you believe that humans have free will?

Personally, no, I don't. Well, I think they might, but I don't definitely think they do. I tend to think it's a wonderful illusion instead. I don't really think there's any way for a being to know whether they do or not. :)

promethean wrote:Love
The third atheistic illusion is that of love. Do you believe it is possible to love another human being? What does this actually mean? On an atheistic, mechanistic worldview love is reduced to a chemical response, or an encoding that is effective for genetic transfer. If an atheist does believe in romantic love then what does that even mean?

Just chemicals, IMO, but still fab (as is the illusion of free will, actually)

Not staying long, because several others are saying what I would have said, even if not quite as pithily (kidding).

Just want to say that Christianity is almost one of the worst places to look for the concept of true love. Most parents operate a far better system. Christianity sucks in this regard, IMO. 'Love me or suffer for eternity'. Yuk.

Welcome to the forum. You sound very reasonable and thoughtful and as far as I am concerned, if Christianity floats your boat, go sailing. :)
Last edited by archibald on Mar 28, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#42  Postby pelfdaddy » Mar 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Christians reflexively define Meaning, as "The kind of permanent significance that is the concern of those who will live forever", so that they can arbitrarily assert that without immortality, this kind of meaning cannot exist. Circular, it seems to me.

They define Objective Morality as "The kind of unassailable command system that requires an unquestioned, celestial, permanent, authoritative God" and then arbitrarily assert that without this kind of ultimate being, our intuitive ideas about right and wrong must vanish ignominiously. Smacks of trickery.

They demand a monopoly on the terms, then employ the terms to leap from Ultimate Questions of Existence directly to It Was Right For The Hebrews To Rape Young Girls And Murder Their Families So You Must Be Born Again.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Did someone mention Sam Harris? Oh their God, don't mention Sam Harris! Do you have any idea how Samsa gets when you mention Sam Harris?

On nontheistic ethics, I'd say some of the current nontheistic contenders in today's metaethical discussions include such diverse views as Cornell Realism, some forms of Kantian constructivism, Aristotlean and non-Aristotlean virtue ethics, Ideal Observer Theory, Jackson-style moral functionalism and other forms of naturalistic reductionism, some pretty wide-ranging and sometimes exotic nonnaturalisms, and some others that I forget.

On the theistic side, you have modified divine command theories, a couple of natural law theories, and a new spin on an old idea in moral concurrentism. Then again, natural law can be nontheistic too.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Mr.Samsa » Mar 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:Did someone mention Sam Harris? Oh their God, don't mention Sam Harris! Do you have any idea how Samsa gets when you mention Sam Harris?

:lol: I actually wrote out a post about it, sighed and thought, "Fuck it, I'll just let it go this time".
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#45  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:Did someone mention Sam Harris? Oh their God, don't mention Sam Harris! Do you have any idea how Samsa gets when you mention Sam Harris?

:lol: I actually wrote out a post about it, sighed and thought, "Fuck it, I'll just let it go this time".

Everyday, and in every way, you are getting better and better. :evilgrin:

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#46  Postby ChasM » Mar 28, 2012 11:55 pm

<chuckle chuckle>
The most common of follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. HL Mencken
ChasM

Name: "Bob"
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 29, 2012 12:01 am

promethean wrote:Thanks for your response Mr. Samsa - super thought provoking which is what I'm looking for.

Mr.Samsa wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b]promethean:[/b][/color][/b][/color] Spinozagalt has already effectively corrected your misconceptions of "objective morality" and why it's erroneous to believe that we can only accept moral objectivism or moral relativism, as if there were no other ethical possibilities. And, as he correctly points out, even if atheists were forced into a position of moral relativism, this does not mean he cannot criticise other moral systems and suggest that his way is better than others.

There is detail we could go into here that I'm not sure its worth the bother, but briefly: By definition moral relativism means there is no scale by which competing moral codes can be compared. Thus the atheist cannot criticise another moral system if he is a relativist. If he is going to criticise, he must establish the scale by which the two moral systems are compared - that scale must be objective in order to create a meaningful comparison, and in that case the scale becomes the objective moral code and the atheist is no longer a relativist.

Actually, I think there is an exclusion here that looks pretty important. Where you say "there is no scale by which competing moral codes can be compared", you're not getting the relativist right. The relativist will typically hold to the additional "there is no scale by which competing moral codes can be compared that is external to the particular moral code in question".

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#48  Postby proudfootz » Mar 29, 2012 12:04 am

It seems all the 'questions' are immaterial to atheism.

What have the existence or non-existence of gods got to do with 'objective morality', 'free will', or 'love'?
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#49  Postby promethean » Mar 29, 2012 2:33 am

Thankyou for the numerous replies, hopefully I will get the chance to individually respond to lots of them. But to group a few responses together.

Responses around the idea of: yes but why are you a Christian?

A very valid question but not one that my OP intended to answer in detail – but one that I would like to get to in time. I am not trying to create the false dichotomy (as some have suggested) that being an atheist and being a Christian are the only two options – obviously this is not the case.

However there is a world of difference between arguing with an atheist who is a materialist and one who is willing to accept that there may be (or even actually believes) that there is more to the universe than we can discern by the application of the scientific method – an atheist that accepts that the metaphysical exists and that reality may be richer than the mere outworking of physical laws.

If you are an atheist who is a materialist then I would like to challenge your materialism (as mine was challenged in the past) and just one of many ways to begin to do that is to identify that there may be concepts that you believe in, that do not fit with your materialistic philosophy. (such as free will, moral objectivity and love). If you are a materialistic atheist who is happy to acknowledge that free will is merely an illusion, morals are relative, and love is just a neurochemical response- and you are happy to live your life in accordance with these conclusions then good luck to you – I respect the logical consistency of your position – and I agree to disagree with you in the true sense of the phrase.

If on the other hand you are an atheist who is not a materialist – then we have a common ground of accepting that there is more to reality that the scientific method can reveal – and we can progress to a more productive conversation about theism.
If you are a materialist atheist then my reasons for being a Christian will make no sense to you and thus our discussion will hit a brick wall before it has begun.

Perhaps I can demonstrate the structure of where I’m aiming with a flow chart.

Atheist Illusions flow chart.gif
Atheist Illusions flow chart.gif (58.09 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
promethean

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby promethean » Mar 29, 2012 5:04 am

Thanks for your input Spinozasgalt and I think your point makes a clear distinction that is helpful.

Spinozasgalt wrote:
promethean wrote:Thanks for your response Mr. Samsa - super thought provoking which is what I'm looking for.

Mr.Samsa wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b]promethean:[/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color] Spinozagalt has already effectively corrected your misconceptions of "objective morality" and why it's erroneous to believe that we can only accept moral objectivism or moral relativism, as if there were no other ethical possibilities. And, as he correctly points out, even if atheists were forced into a position of moral relativism, this does not mean he cannot criticise other moral systems and suggest that his way is better than others.

There is detail we could go into here that I'm not sure its worth the bother, but briefly: By definition moral relativism means there is no scale by which competing moral codes can be compared. Thus the atheist cannot criticise another moral system if he is a relativist. If he is going to criticise, he must establish the scale by which the two moral systems are compared - that scale must be objective in order to create a meaningful comparison, and in that case the scale becomes the objective moral code and the atheist is no longer a relativist.

Actually, I think there is an exclusion here that looks pretty important. Where you say "there is no scale by which competing moral codes can be compared", you're not getting the relativist right. The relativist will typically hold to the additional "there is no scale by which competing moral codes can be compared that is external to the particular moral code in question".

Surely you can see that there is a gaping hole in the relativist position you have just outlined. If the relativist admits that there is no external scale that can be used to compare competing moral theories, but there are internal scales then you can see that the act of comparison is totally meaningless.

It's analogous to two people measuring a block of wood with different scaled rulers and one concluding that it is 50cm long and the other claims it is 60cm long. Unless a statement can be made about which ruler is the "correct scale" then the length of the wood remains relative. If there is no such thing as a 'correct scale' (as the relativist claims) then there is no point going on harping that the lump of wood is 50cm long.

I'm not sure why this point is so difficult to grasp. If you applied the same notion to Science it would get shot down in flames in no time. The only reason Science works is because there is an objective experiential reality that we can examine and we have an agreed methodology of Science.

If there is no external scale - then there is no scale of any value. A serial killer has a different scale to you and you have no justification for saying your internal scale is any better than his. As soon as you start appealing to something like saying - 'hang on mister serial killer - killing people isn't good because we value human life so let’s talk about this and both agree that killing is wrong. As soon as you say that you are appealing to an external scale (value for human life) - if you don't think that external scale is objectively true then the serial killer has only to disagree with you and his position is equally valid as your own.

A previous post appealed to utilitarianism. Is it objectively true that we should try and optimise the greatest good for the greatest number? If it is objectively true then you're no longer a relativist - if it is not objectively true then I can respond - I think it would be better to simply kill everyone (there would be no more human suffering then) - and you have no logical foundation to oppose me.

Even if you say a relativist can compare different moral codes on the grounds of whether or not they are internally logically consistent all you are doing is appealing to 'internal logical consistency' as the objectively true scale by which moralities should be compared - at which point you are no longer a relativist.

And once you start believing in objective moral values you have to ask where do they come from? When you ask where do they come from it opens up a big can of worms that takes us away from materialism, and I believe begins to take us towards theism.
promethean

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Xeno » Mar 29, 2012 5:58 am

@promethean, you have skipped over my earlier post in which I asked you, in slightly different words, what do you mean by "objectively binding" that does not beg the question of god? It would be preferable to answer in the context of that post.

Meanwhile, this appears to be a tendentious misrepresentation of what was said by others:
promethean wrote: If the relativist admits that there is no external scale that can be used to compare competing moral theories, but there are internal scales then you can see that the act of comparison is totally meaningless.

It's analogous to two people measuring a block of wood with different scaled rulers and one concluding that it is 50cm long and the other claims it is 60cm long. Unless a statement can be made about which ruler is the "correct scale" then the length of the wood remains relative. If there is no such thing as a 'correct scale' (as the relativist claims) then there is no point going on harping that the lump of wood is 50cm long.

If one is using a metric and one a british scale, then they can discover the conversion factor against the common standard previously agreed or discoverable from other people. If one has an erroneous ruler then that can be discovered by comparison of each with the agreed standard. The "objective", the standard, is agreed by people in their interests and then applied. If the topic is ethics then it is possible to consider consequences against agreed moral objectives and select from that currently optimal behaviours, or to consider it in Kantian terms and other more recent approaches mentioned above. None of this requires a sadistic pixie as a law-giver, in fact it works better without one.

The standard is objective in the sense that applies uniformly to people. It is subjective in that it was previously created (and amended) by people. It is not supernatural.

I'm not sure why this point is so difficult to grasp.

There were several other fictions presented in your text and using the same false form of argument as you did in the measurement instance. They are too obvious to need representation by me to most people here.
sinisterly annoying theists
Xeno

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 29, 2012 7:19 am

My $0.02

promethean wrote:
Objective Morality
Do you believe that some actions actually are right and some things are actually wrong (objective morality) or do you think morality is simply a cultural, social or evolutionary convention? Do absolute objective moral values exist?

It depends what you mean by absolutely wrong or objectively wrong. I would say that something is immoral or wrong if it deliberately or avoidably causes harm or suffering to another. I think it's possible to get an objective idea of whether a certain action is causing someone else to suffer, or causing them harm.

Of course, you can then argue, well why does it matter on the cosmic scale whether anyone suffers? I'd say, it doesn't. But while it might not matter on the cosmic scale, it sure matters on the human one.

In fact what most atheists (in my experience) seem to do is claim that morality is relative, but actually behave in a way that suggests they think morality is objective. The atheist who asserts moral repulsion when they hear about a priest engaging in child sex abuse can only do so with any credibility if they believe in absolute moral values – otherwise they have no business criticising the priest.

The priests behaviour causes harm and suffering to the child. This seems both intuitively obvious, and also seems to be supported by scientific study. That would seem to be sufficient to claim that the abuser's behaviour is "wrong".

Free Will
The second illusion offered by the atheistic worldview is the existence of free will. Do you believe that humans have free will?

Good question. I don't know - it certainly feels like I have the freedom to choose, but there appears to be some evidence that our brains and bodies have already embarked on a course of action before our conscious minds get a say in the matter. (I can't quote chapter and verse - I've certainly read about it in New Scientist :-))

Certainly if it turns out we do not, in fact, have free will, it raises some fairly deep questions about notions of criminal justice and so on.

But, of course, it also obvious that we do not have complete freedom of will and action. We have no choice at all in the matter of whether we obey the law of gravity.

Love
The third atheistic illusion is that of love. Do you believe it is possible to love another human being? What does this actually mean?

Poets and philosophers have been pondering this question for as long as there have been poets and philosophers.

On an atheistic, mechanistic worldview love is reduced to a chemical response, or an encoding that is effective for genetic transfer.

Why "reduced"? All our emotions are ultimately electro-chemical processes occurring in our brains and bodies. Why does that cheapen the experience, or render it "illusory"?

Do emotions exist in the absence of brains, hormones and nervous systems? If not, then I don't see why they should be labelled "illusory" just because they have a material explanation.

...And love? We recognise the existence of a soul within other humans and we see the beauty of God reflected in them,

Hmm. I prefer to love other people for their own sake, rather then because I see a reflection of something else in them.

Thankyou if you've made the effort to read thus far. Any questions, comments (and a limited amount of personal abuse) would be most welcome.

Interesting thread! But I think the atheist world is not quite as illusory as you think :thumbup:
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 29, 2012 7:21 am

Personally, I don't find the division between the material and the immaterial useful (or even coherent).

If souls and gods actually exist, then in what way are they differently material to, say, photons or quarks?

More to the point - how does one detect the existence of the "immaterial"?
Last edited by Nebogipfel on Mar 29, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby archibald » Mar 29, 2012 7:29 am

promethean wrote:If there is no external scale - then there is no scale of any value. A serial killer has a different scale to you and you have no absolute justification for saying your internal scale is any better than his. As soon as you start appealing to something like saying - 'hang on mister serial killer - killing people isn't good because we value human life so let’s talk about this and both agree that killing is wrong. As soon as you say that you are appealing to an external scale (value for human life) - if you don't think that external scale is objectively true then the serial killer has only to disagree with you and his position is equally valid as your own.

If you insert my word in red, then, yes, exactly right. My advice is to deal with this, and not opt for fanciful notions, just because the alternative leads you to the 'sad' box on your flowchart. :)

Let me guess. Your answers were 1. yes 2. yes 3. no and 4. no, and you ended up in the 'reevaluate' box, so you went back to the top and answered 1. no. That, I must admit, is one way out of it. Not sure why you think one should reevaluate in that way.
Last edited by archibald on Mar 29, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#55  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 29, 2012 7:35 am

Well, the implicit assumption that "no absolute morality" == "no consistent morality" is certainly buggering up the left hand side of that flowchart.... :mrgreen:
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby archibald » Mar 29, 2012 7:38 am

Nebogipfel wrote:Well, the implicit assumption that "no absolute morality" == "no consistent morality" is certainly buggering up the left hand side of that flowchart.... :mrgreen:

'Consistent' is my personal preference over 'objective' which I think causes more confusion (see the OP). :)

Though to be fair, 'consistent' isn't an all singing all dancing solution either. What do we call a morality that is non-individually subjective (i.e. has at least one 'rule' that more than one person agrees) but has internal contradictions (e.g. Christianity)?

I have suggested 'group subjective' before.

I wonder, if one was the only Utilitarian in the world, would that still be an objective morality? I think there are people who would say yes. :)

ETA: 'Formal morality'. That might be the phrase I'm looking for.
Last edited by archibald on Mar 29, 2012 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#57  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 29, 2012 8:05 am

What shitload this thread has turned into.

@promethean

Please answer my question on post #36.

No deity has anything to do with morality.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Lion IRC » Mar 29, 2012 8:08 am

amkerman wrote:And cue derision...

Very well written; not that it will make a spit of difference to most here.

:cheers:

....and its a yes from me.

Fresh air.

Golf clap x 2
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#59  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 29, 2012 8:20 am

Lion IRC wrote:
amkerman wrote:And cue derision...

Very well written; not that it will make a spit of difference to most here.

:cheers:

....and its a yes from me.

Fresh air.

Golf clap x 2

Easily satisfied with a load of crap are we not.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 29, 2012 9:28 am

promethean wrote:Thanks for your input Spinozasgalt and I think your point makes a clear distinction that is helpful.

Spinozasgalt wrote:

Mr.Samsa wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b]promethean:[/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color] Spinozagalt has already effectively corrected your misconceptions of "objective morality" and why it's erroneous to believe that we can only accept moral objectivism or moral relativism, as if there were no other ethical possibilities. And, as he correctly points out, even if atheists were forced into a position of moral relativism, this does not mean he cannot criticise other moral systems and suggest that his way is better than others.

Surely you can see that there is a gaping hole in the relativist position you have just outlined. If the relativist admits that there is no external scale that can be used to compare competing moral theories, but there are internal scales then you can see that the act of comparison is totally meaningless.

I don't think so. It makes the comparison relative just as we'd expect on moral relativism, because the act of comparison is, as you seem to acknowledge, morally-loaded and hence dedicated to relativism. To illustrate how the relativist could fill this out, it might do to relativise ethics to culture in the following example.

Say we have one culture that considers something immoral and another that does not. Say further that within the first culture it is morally permissible or even a moral good to criticise other cultures, or persons of those cultures, for acts one's own culture deem immoral. The first culture can then criticise the second just on the basis that the second culture does not live up to the standards of the first. Now we may from the first culture understand that, due to the situatedness of persons in the second culture, our criticism (properly explained) does not act as a binding imperative for the people of the second culture to adopt our views, but then that may not have been why we made the criticism.

Perhaps there's some way to argue that by stating our moral views we implicitly recommend them, but why should that trouble the relativist? He or she can happily admit this, but elaborate that while all "moralizing" is recommending, only when persons are properly located in relation to the specific cutlure (or whatever else we relativise to) will the recommendation actually fulfill the bindingness criteria.

So I fail to see where the gaping hole is. It still looks like you're begging the question here, by starting from the view that these comparisons/criticisms come apart just how the objectivist thinks they do.

promethean wrote:It's analogous to two people measuring a block of wood with different scaled rulers and one concluding that it is 50cm long and the other claims it is 60cm long. Unless a statement can be made about which ruler is the "correct scale" then the length of the wood remains relative. If there is no such thing as a 'correct scale' (as the relativist claims) then there is no point going on harping that the lump of wood is 50cm long.

I'm not sure why this point is so difficult to grasp. If you applied the same notion to Science it would get shot down in flames in no time. The only reason Science works is because there is an objective experiential reality that we can examine and we have an agreed methodology of Science.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take your analogy. Presumably you think there's a "correct scale" in that instance (what is it? :naughty2: ), but then many moral relativists are objectivists in other areas, too. Your analogy presents one level of disagreement that you seem to recommend I take as trivial, but does the relativist's treatment of disagreement really take place substantially at this level? How do the two resolve their disagreement in your analogy? It's hard to even tell what's relativised to what in the context provided.

promethean wrote:If there is no external scale - then there is no scale of any value. A serial killer has a different scale to you and you have no justification for saying your internal scale is any better than his. As soon as you start appealing to something like saying - 'hang on mister serial killer - killing people isn't good because we value human life so let’s talk about this and both agree that killing is wrong. As soon as you say that you are appealing to an external scale (value for human life) - if you don't think that external scale is objectively true then the serial killer has only to disagree with you and his position is equally valid as your own.

Actually, relativism when pluralist as we've been describing it, thereafter has multiple scales of value.

You're taking an extreme example here, and I can understand why, but it's not really clear that your example is possible in any halfway decent moral relativism. For starters, the relativist doesn't have to relativise to individual subjects (and avoids a number of problems by steering clear [possibly even a collapse into non-cognitivism]), but it's also not clear that your serial killer is feasible under moral relativism in another way. The relativist takes something like moral justification or moral truth to be relativised: so as far as first-order issues, the relativist may not have the resources to bind agents rationally to some course of action unless those agents are situated in key circumstances; however, the relativist could also hold that there are second-order (metaethical) constraints on just what sort of thing can be moral -David Wong has been exploring just this kind of defence. If the relativist can do this then your example will be defanged.

But your example suffers from other faults arising from lack of clarity. It's not clear how we're to understand moral motivation here, or how binding it is. Neither is it clear whether your serial killer character is the old amoralist, in which case the objection becomes much less forceful against the relativist. And, pretending that the relativist is really having a conversation with a serial killer situated in this strange way and that may prove formative for the latter, it's hard to see what the objection amounts to. The relativist can't motivate the serial killer to stop killing? It's not clear that any moral view can, unless the serial killer's reasoning works in the way required to respond to the relevant moral facts. The relativist can't object to his continued killing? Of course she can, because she judges from her own morality, not his. The relativist has to admit that the killer's morality is equally "valid"? Hard to see what this means or what it entails, but you can always clear it up for me.

promethean wrote:A previous post appealed to utilitarianism. Is it objectively true that we should try and optimise the greatest good for the greatest number? If it is objectively true then you're no longer a relativist - if it is not objectively true then I can respond - I think it would be better to simply kill everyone (there would be no more human suffering then) - and you have no logical foundation to oppose me.

I don't think this is a good objection at all. Why? Because you acknowledge that the relativist has no defeater for your claim, but only because you already take it as binding in the relevant way. So what? The relativist has no defeater of the sort you want because nothing has the bindingness you attribute to moral objectivism and this includes your own statement that we should kill everyone. In that case, whatever grounds you have for taking that view can be chiselled away at with just the tools available to the relativist.

promethean wrote:Even if you say a relativist can compare different moral codes on the grounds of whether or not they are internally logically consistent all you are doing is appealing to 'internal logical consistency' as the objectively true scale by which moralities should be compared - at which point you are no longer a relativist.

Not really. As I said, it could be relativism all the way down, and hence there won't be the problem. But even if it's not, so long as the moral relativist is an objectivist in other areas, he or she can probably apply theoretical reasoning here. The kind of evaluation here could be epistemic, rather than of the moral kind. Deep issues need resolving to know either way.

You seem to be committing yourself to something else here though. If "internal logical consistency" is a moral evaluation, I wonder whether you're endorsing the view that certain "laws" relatated to epistemology are in a way dependent on God.

promethean wrote:And once you start believing in objective moral values you have to ask where do they come from? When you ask where do they come from it opens up a big can of worms that takes us away from materialism, and I believe begins to take us towards theism.

We'll see. I'm waiting for the substance of your moral argument.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism