What am I?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What am I?

#41  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 22, 2015 10:03 am

John Platko wrote:
MacIver wrote:Is there a term for someone who switches from agnostic-atheist to agnostic-theist? :ask:

Yes: "heading in the right direction"

...says the one who has managed to convince himself that the Turin Shroud is a bona fide relic of Jesus.

:tehe:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#42  Postby John Platko » May 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:
John Platko wrote:
MacIver wrote:Is there a term for someone who switches from agnostic-atheist to agnostic-theist? :ask:

Yes: "heading in the right direction"

...says the one who has managed to convince himself that the Turin Shroud is a bona fide relic of Jesus.

:tehe:

You're not quite telling the whole story there. :nono:

And there's nothing wrong with changing beliefs one way or the other as one tries to sus out truth - such behavior is standard operating procedure for a well functioning heuristic trying to find the best fit for the available data.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Cito di Pense » May 15, 2015 6:49 pm

John Platko wrote:such behavior is standard operating procedure for a well functioning heuristic trying to find the best fit for the available data.

What do you need to know in order to determine the quality of the 'fit'? How much it hurts when you extract it from your asshole?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you answered 'yes'.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#44  Postby laklak » May 15, 2015 6:50 pm

If it don't fit, force it. That's what my cell mate used to say.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#45  Postby John Platko » May 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
John Platko wrote:such behavior is standard operating procedure for a well functioning heuristic trying to find the best fit for the available data.

What do you need to know in order to determine the quality of the 'fit'? How much it hurts when you extract it from your asshole?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you answered 'yes'.

I find it best to extract what must be extracted no matter the pain as the alternative is a constipated brain.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Oldskeptic » May 19, 2015 12:31 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:I guess I'm technically an atheist according to some people I talked to here in another thread, but I feel like if I am an atheist, I am not an atheist in the same way I used to be before my liberal postmodern Christian phase. I also think that calling myself an atheist is misleading because I have some vague spiritual, irrational tendencies.

Being an atheist does not require rationality, in fact, from quite a few demonstrations, it seems completely optional.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby John Platko » May 20, 2015 7:48 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:I guess I'm technically an atheist according to some people I talked to here in another thread, but I feel like if I am an atheist, I am not an atheist in the same way I used to be before my liberal postmodern Christian phase. I also think that calling myself an atheist is misleading because I have some vague spiritual, irrational tendencies.

Being an atheist does not require rationality, in fact, from quite a few demonstrations, it seems completely optional.

:thumbup:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism