Why I'm Not an Atheist

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why I'm Not an Atheist

#261  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 12:56 am

Ok then I agree with the man because he's right on just about everything.
MarkHei

Name: Mark Heideman

United States (us)
Print view this post

#262  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 07, 2014 12:58 am

???
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#263  Postby laklak » Apr 07, 2014 12:59 am

No he's not. Neener neener neener.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#264  Postby hackenslash » Apr 07, 2014 1:00 am

There's your malfunction then, because he simply isn't.

Having said that, Chomsky has stated flat out that ALL authority, unless justified, is inherently illegitimate, so he actually disagrees with you on your citing him as an authority. Nice little paradox you've made for yourself.

Good luck with that.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#265  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 1:01 am

I agree with Noam Chomsky. He says Reincarnation is a possibility.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#266  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 1:01 am

He's not an authority. He's a logic minded professor and well regarded.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#267  Postby hackenslash » Apr 07, 2014 1:02 am

MarkHei wrote:I agree with Noam Chomsky. He says Reincarnation is a possibility.

Great. Now, about that evidence...
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#268  Postby laklak » Apr 07, 2014 1:03 am

I agree with my next door neighbor. He says reincarnation isn't a possibility.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#269  Postby hackenslash » Apr 07, 2014 1:05 am

MarkHei wrote:He's not an authority. He's a logic minded professor and well regarded.

You've attempted to set him up as an authority. You've cited him in support of your rectal masala, thus you've set him up as an authority, setting aside the fact that there is no such thing as an authority on reincarnation. How well he is regarded is irrelevant to your position or his on reincarnation. There is zero evidence, and that's all there is to it. Chomsky might regard it as a possibility, and he might even be right. The data support no conclusions. Thus, we haven;t ruled it out, there's just no good reason to rule it in, unless and until some evidence manifests itself in support.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#270  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 1:09 am

Did you provide a list of atheists to me? Yes.
Was Noam Chomsky in that list? Yes.
Did you ask me what I thought about the people in that list? Yes
Does Noam Chomsky believe Reincarnation is possible? Yes.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#271  Postby hackenslash » Apr 07, 2014 1:11 am

MarkHei wrote:Did you provide a list of atheists to me?

No.

Was Noam Chomsky in that list?

Couldn''t be, because I provided no list.

Did you ask me what I thought about the people in that list?

No, because... are you beginning to see a pattern here?

Does Noam Chomsky believe Reincarnation is possible? Yes.

And? Irrelevant and fallacious appeal to authority. Repetition won't make it any less fallacious.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#272  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 1:13 am

Well then you're the wrong guy I need to be talking to the chump that provided that list. You and I can discuss something else.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#273  Postby hackenslash » Apr 07, 2014 1:15 am

Calling a forum moderator, and one of our most well-regarded members, a chump isn't going to do you any favours, and I'm beginning to suspect a very brief tenure for you here.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#274  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 1:19 am

I wouldn't be surprised if I was removed but that's a consequence I'll suffer for keeping an open mind and speaking freely.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#275  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 1:22 am

I appologize for the chump remark. It was tounge in cheek. I respect all members. That was not right to insert playful comment.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#276  Postby Skinny Puppy » Apr 07, 2014 1:24 am

MarkHei wrote:Yes but you are not an authority. You are also a quack. You just poo-poo under a guise of authority. I want to see credentials. I want to ask you personal questions about your character. Who are you to tell us that you are the final authority? You're all Bozo's on the future bus.

So close... so very, very close.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#277  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 1:36 am

The future bus on its way to the future fair; a fair for all and no fair to anybody.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#278  Postby Matt8819 » Apr 07, 2014 4:26 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Thread locked while we deal with several reports.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#279  Postby Matt8819 » Apr 11, 2014 5:01 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
MarkHei,

The following three posts across two threads contain personal attacks on fellow forum members, as well as inflammatory content.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Your posts, infractions in bold red.
MarkHei wrote:Yes but you are not an authority. You are also a quack. You just poo-poo under a guise of authority. I want to see credentials. I want to ask you personal questions about your character. Who are you to tell us that you are the final authority? You're all Bozo's on the future bus.

MarkHei wrote:Well then you're the wrong guy I need to be talking to the chump that provided that list. You and I can discuss something else.

MarkHei wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
MarkHei wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:Never mind, I just confirmed that attempting to converse with you on a rational basis is an exercise in futility.

Good luck to you.

I don't need luck, I'm fucking awesome.

You're not alone, but you could use some anger management. Anger makes people behave irrationally as does ignorance.

Statements like the highlighted above are not allowed, per our FUA, section 1.2.c and e.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Forum Users Agreement
Members of rationalskepticism.org agree to:
    1.2. not cause harm or disruption to the forum or other members, for example please don't:
      c. post personal attacks or insults towards other members
      e. attempt to inflame or provoke another member(s)

Please keep this in mind in future when posting. More personal attacks or inflammatory content like this may lead to sanctions, up to and including suspension of your forum privileges.

Do not discuss moderation in this thread. If you have and questions or comments, PM either me or another moderator.

!
MODNOTE
Scot Dutchy

The following two posts contain personal attacks on another forum member.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Your posts, infractions in bold red.
Scot Dutchy wrote:
MarkHei wrote:I find the initial reaction to reincarnation to be one of hope. Then, after I think about it, I find it frightening. Why? Because I could come back as some choir boy with a reincarnated child molestor or some such thing. Just look at the world around you. Do you want to return as some random creature? But as you think more about it, if you are a good person you need not fear. As long as you be a good person nothing to fear. That's essentially the meaning of life.

Do you live such a lousy life that you need this sort of hope? I am sorry for you. Enjoy life there is no future. You or any one else has not proven it. What is a good person? A very broad definition. I don't fear about anything. I die I die. The end.

The fact that you cant accept it says a lot of insecurity. I am sorry you are so insecure. Never had that problem.

Scot Dutchy wrote:
MarkHei wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Do you live such a lousy life that you need this sort of hope? I am sorry for you. Enjoy life there is no future. You or any one else has not proven it. What is a good person? A very broad definition. I don't fear about anything. I die I die. The end.

The fact that you cant accept it says a lot of insecurity. I am sorry you are so insecure. Never had that problem.

Don't feel sorry for me, my life is great. I have everything I need, I am content and I have little desire, fear, anger, jealousy, greed. This is the best way to live. I have an understanding of nature that brings me peace.

It is the last thing you have is understanding of anything. You wallow in your fantasies to shut out reality. The cold light of day is your biggest fear. Daily life is your biggest fear. Have trouble going out of your house facing real life?
I agree with Aggie go and get some help you need it badly. What drugs are you using?

You're still struggling to find the truth but you won't find it by being cynical. You have to understand the one truth is that you are nothing, don't put too much importance in yourself or your clever mind. You have to experience the truth before you can claim to understand it.

Truth is an abstract form to justify a load of waffle and cover up insecurity. Please your evidence of truth? Come on where is it.
I met death and the dying on many levels. I don't have to look for any justification for my life. This so called is a fallacy that is generated by all belief systems. Without it they all fall down. That is the problem is it not Mark. You are terrified when you scrape of the façade what underneath is not pretty because all you are left with is nothing. That is one of your biggest fears.

If you are avoiding the subject by denying every reported case of the unexplained you're just doubting for the sake of supporting your worldly view. How is that going to help you in this life or the next?

I don't need help in this life. The next does not exist so why worry about it. The unexplained is just that nothing and nothing less. As we progress we will understand more but not in the way you claim you do. Our understanding will be based on fact and evidence. Notice the difference.

Personal attacks like that are prohibited by the FUA, section 1.2.c.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Forum Users Agreement
Members of rationalskepticism.org agree to:
    1.2. not cause harm or disruption to the forum or other members, for example please don't:
      c. post personal attacks or insults towards other members

As such, you're being issued your third active warning and a one week suspension from the forum.

Do not discuss moderation in this thread. If you have and questions or comments, PM either me or another moderator or email info@rationalskepticism.org to appeal this decision.

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Thread now open.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#280  Postby Goldenmane » Apr 12, 2014 12:34 am

MarkHei wrote:I agree with Noam Chomsky. He says Reincarnation is a possibility.

No he fucking doesn't. He used it as an comparative example of how something else was bullshit. This has already been shown in this thread. It is also utterly fucking irrelevant, since Noam Chomski isn't an appropriate authority on the subject to be citing.

I'm not sure what the stupidest part of this attempt at reasoning is: the fact that it is blatant quote-mining arsehattery, or that it is classic idiotic (erroneous) appeal to authority.

Frankly, I have to admit that I'm more likely to be enlightened by shoving a lightbulb up my arse than reading any more of this juvenile pablum.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism