Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

A Spiritual Component Of Our Existence?

#1  Postby falasha » Jun 15, 2010 3:57 pm

!
MODNOTE
Split from here.

Animavore wrote:
Jan wrote:Also, while it might be true that more women are religious or into astrology etc, a quick scan of other "woo" sites (eg UFOs, crop circles, conspiracies etc) shows that they are dominated by men.

It would seem men and women are attracted to different kinds of woo :think:
Maybe it's all to do with how it's packaged? There are more male Trekkies than women. It's not surprising that men are more attracted to space woo. They always say that men are more interested in things and women in people. Maybe crystal energy and guardian angels are more attractive to women because they are more personal and concerned with self rather than what's "out there"?

I think more women than men know that we have a spiritual component to our existence. When they visit these places they are looking for a connection to the spirit. They have figured out that religion is bunk but are searching for another avenue of expression.
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

Re: Just a coincidence?

#2  Postby shh » Jun 15, 2010 6:22 pm

falasha wrote:I think more women than men know that we have a spiritual component to our existence.

A whatnow?
wiki wrote: despite the fact that chocolate is not a fruit[citation needed]
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby falasha » Jun 15, 2010 6:37 pm

shh wrote:
falasha wrote:I think more women than men know that we have a spiritual component to our existence.

A whatnow?

Many more women than men believe we are physical AND spiritual.
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2010 6:39 pm

'Spiritual', eh? Any definition forthcoming?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Emmeline » Jun 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Fallible wrote:'Spiritual', eh? Any definition forthcoming?

I was wondering about that too. I used to think I was "spiritual" but now I think that all those times when I feel awe and wonder about a landscape, babies or human achievement are emotional reactions rather than "spiritual", whatever that is.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#6  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Quite. However, the way 'spiritual' is thrown about, I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to come along and claim that 'emotional' = 'spiritual'.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby falasha » Jun 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Jan wrote:

I was wondering about that too. I used to think I was "spiritual" but now I think that all those times when I feel awe and wonder about a landscape, babies or human achievement are emotional reactions rather than "spiritual", whatever that is.

Are you able to define "emotion"?
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Let's deal with 'spiritual' first, eh? Since it's us women who apparently know we're spiritual.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Emmeline » Jun 15, 2010 7:15 pm

falasha wrote:
Jan wrote:

I probably couldn't do it very well without digging up some scientific papers to support me but I do know that emotion is real eg we developed fear and love because they have evolutionary advantages whereas spirituality isn't as well defined for me as something we have developed as a species.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#10  Postby falasha » Jun 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Fallible wrote:Let's deal with 'spiritual' first, eh? Since it's us women who apparently know we're spiritual.

Would you mind to just quickly peruse my posts on this thread; New Atheists embody the very things they hate so that I don't have to retype? Thanks
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2010 7:24 pm

No, please explain what you mean by 'spiritual'. You brought it up in this thread. Why should I have to spend time searching for your posts and reading them? You could've provided the definition instead of wasting time with that last reply.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby falasha » Jun 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Spirituality is not a physical attribute so it is not quantifiable or testable. Since it does not adhere to scientific investigative techniques, New Athiests have determined it does not exist. I have had experiences that I have labeled "spiritual" for want of a better word. Since I was not raised in religion, I have never attributed it to some god.
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#13  Postby IIzO » Jun 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Spirituality is emotion/sensation "reasoning" and broad pattern making , and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.Your exemple of "spirit" in the other thread didn't make any sense since it just related to a memory that one guy thought you could not have made because you were supposedly totally unconsciouss.How is this revelant to "spirituality" at all , i don't see why this must be covered by such a word at all.
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2010 7:42 pm

falasha wrote:Spirituality is not a physical attribute so it is not quantifiable or testable. Since it does not adhere to scientific investigative techniques, New Athiests have determined it does not exist. I have had experiences that I have labeled "spiritual" for want of a better word. Since I was not raised in religion, I have never attributed it to some god.

OK so you've told us what spirituality is not, but not what it is. Instead you have jumped to 'atheists have determined it does not exist'. How can we determine any such thing, and more importantly how can you claim that women realise we are spiritual, if you won't even describe it?

ETA: By the way, I did go and read that thread you mentioned. Nowhere in it did you define 'spiritual'. You simply said that it is a nebulous term (I agree completely), and then provided an anecdote about an OBE as evidence.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby falasha » Jun 15, 2010 7:55 pm

IIzO wrote:Spirituality is emotion/sensation "reasoning" and broad pattern making , and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.Your exemple of "spirit" in the other thread didn't make any sense since it just related to a memory that one guy thought you could not have made because you were supposedly totally unconsciouss.How is this revelant to "spirituality" at all , i don't see why this must be covered by such a word at all.

Why not suggest a different word and I will use it.
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Gallstones » Jun 15, 2010 7:55 pm

falasha wrote:
Jan wrote:

Emotion = a neurochemical cascade on feedback.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#17  Postby falasha » Jun 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Fallible wrote:
falasha wrote:Spirituality is not a physical attribute so it is not quantifiable or testable. Since it does not adhere to scientific investigative techniques, New Athiests have determined it does not exist. I have had experiences that I have labeled "spiritual" for want of a better word. Since I was not raised in religion, I have never attributed it to some god.

OK so you've told us what spirituality is not, but not what it is. Instead you have jumped to 'atheists have determined it does not exist'. How can we determine any such thing, and more importantly how can you claim that women realise we are spiritual, if you won't even describe it?

ETA: By the way, I did go and read that thread you mentioned. Nowhere in it did you define 'spiritual'. You simply said that it is a nebulous term (I agree completely), and then provided an anecdote about an OBE as evidence.

MORE women than men realize we have a spiritual component to our existence. How about this as a definition; Experience that does not adhere to laws of physical dimension.
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#18  Postby IIzO » Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

MORE women than men realize we have a spiritual component to our existence. How about this as a definition; Experience that does not adhere to laws of physical dimension.

Sorry but , this is still telling what it is supposed "not" to be .And somehow what you equivocate by "physical dimension" isn't clear at all either.
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Except you were using the term as a quality of human beings, not an experience.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Gallstones » Jun 15, 2010 8:04 pm

falasha wrote:
Fallible wrote:

falasha, no one--male or female--realizes any such thing. They interpret particular experiences as "spiritual" and then ascribe the same characterization to any similar experiences. "Spirituality" is nothing more than proactive confirmation bias.

Can you tell us how you tell the difference between what is spiritual and what is ordinary?
Gallstones

Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural