An Experiment - please participate!

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

An Experiment - please participate!

#1  Postby jerome » Apr 07, 2010 12:48 pm

OK, I want to conduct a very simple and non-technical "experiment"! What I want you to do is to answer a few questions, mostly using a likert scale, then just write an very short imaginative description for me. If you are willing to participate can you pm me the answers rather than post them in the thread? Feel free to reply to the thread though... I hope my research aim should be clear from the following, and you can see why I am asking intelligent sceptics to participate...

Here goes!

1. What is your gender?
2. Age, if you want to share it?
3. Culture you have mainly lived in? (ie. British, Japanese, German)
4. To what extent are you familiar with "paranormal" claims and TV, books etc? Please rate from 1 to 5, where 1is - Not at all - I never read such things to 3 "about the same as anyone else in my society" to 5 " I have read extensively and am familair with the technical literature"
5. To what extent are you familiar with "paranormal" claims and TV, books etc? Please rate from 1 to 5, where 1is - Not at all - I never read such things to 3 "about the same as anyone else in my society" to 5 " I have read extensively and am familiar with the technical literature"
6. Have you read my blog, either my personal one, or POLTERWOTSIT? Y?N
7. The important bit. I want you to imagine you are writing a fictional account of a poltergeist case, that you want to be eerie but believable, and clearly a poltergeist. What six things would you include as the phenomena in your story to establish it's veracity?

Thanks to everyone!
j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: An Experiment - please participate!

#2  Postby the PC apeman » Apr 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Establish veracity of a fictional account?
the PC apeman

Print view this post

#3  Postby jerome » Apr 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Well basically I'm intereste din what popular culture tropes people immediately associate with poltergeists. IT's quite interesting because i suspect we all have rather strong ideas about what a polt might "look like". I'm just doing a VERY informal trial study to see what I get...

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby ersby » Apr 09, 2010 9:06 am

1. male
2. 39
3. british
4 and 5 seem to be the same. Anyway, I've read extensively on specific topics like remote viewing/lab tests of ESP, but know little about new age stuff like auras and astrology, simply because I find them dull.
6. Yes.
7. names, adresses, dates, ages of people involved, potential "explanation" for the poltergeist (either mundane or supernatural)… I can’t think of a sixth thing in particular…
ersby

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby tnjrp » Apr 09, 2010 10:06 am

jerome wrote:1. What is your gender?
Male.
Visible in the profile, I believe, but closer to 45 than to 44.
Finnish.
4. To what extent are you familiar with "paranormal" claims and TV, books etc? Please rate from 1 to 5, where 1is - Not at all - I never read such things to 3 "about the same as anyone else in my society" to 5 " I have read extensively and am familair with the technical literature"
I'd have to say 4. Not lately tho.
5. To what extent are you familiar with "paranormal" claims and TV, books etc? Please rate from 1 to 5, where 1is - Not at all - I never read such things to 3 "about the same as anyone else in my society" to 5 " I have read extensively and am familiar with the technical literature"
Err, isn't this the same question as #4? :shifty:
Y. Polterwotsits more lately, it was an interesting article about "pennies" in a tyre depot BTW :cheers:
7. The important bit. I want you to imagine you are writing a fictional account of a poltergeist case, that you want to be eerie but believable, and clearly a poltergeist. What six things would you include as the phenomena in your story to establish it's veracity?
I'll have to get back to you on this. Requires some refreshing of memories.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Binky » Apr 16, 2010 5:27 pm

A ghost once possessed my settee.
It was an upholsterygeist.
Binky

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tnjrp » Apr 21, 2010 8:50 am

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier. Obviously I’ve been rather otherwise engaged, but not to the extent that I couldn’t have managed a reply.

It’s actually because I’ve been looking for source material on Finnish poltergeist cases so as to determine if there is anything of a special national nature that I should use to enhance the credibility of such a story (the official idea of the thread as I understood it being that I’m supposed pretend I’m going to concoct one). I had unfortunately managed to displace my copy of the local polt bigwig Heikki Tikkala’s extensive study Olevaisen yöpuoli and only managed to find it anew yesterday.

Having managed to give it a quick peruse, Tikkala does seem to be of a mind that there isn’t anything particularly Finnish about these phenomena -- they rather seem to be of a more international nature, and based on my understanding I tend to agree. Given that, I had to content myself to construing a more general list of details a poltergeist haunting would appear to be, if not exactly incredible, at least vapid and insignificant.

So, here goes:
  1. Kinetic phenomena or more colloquially, “throwing things” is pretty much a duh since it really wouldn’t be a polt if it didn’t do any of this. Under this would go any number of phenomena from vacuous noises to starting fires and actually hurling objects. Normally these are phenomena of the type a human agent might be able to produce so it pays not to overdo it -- throwing the family SUV on the roof of the house is definitely too much.
  2. For a more difficult trick, the polt really must try some teleportation. Objects appearing or disappearing in/from closed rooms and the like. Adds a nice touch of “debunk this!” in case any boring skeptics happen to drop along and attempt to discredit my story.
  3. To add to teleporting, a displayed fondness for out of place artefacts is always a good twist. Examples abound from the fairly humble (such as the tyre depot poltergeist and its coins) to the infamous (cf. Borley Rectory); in the arguably best know Finnish polt case the “Martin’s devil” (active January 12 to 27, 1885) is reported to have thrown pieces of flint that is a not stone native or at least common in the Ylöjärvi area.
  4. Ramping up is common trait in Finnish and international polt cases; usually the phenomena start with nothing much (maybe some scratching sounds in the walls that could be attributed to mice etc.) and gradually gather momentum. So it wouldn’t pay to start with messages scribbled on the walls, attempts to kill family members and having the house set on fire the first day.
  5. And last but not least, a focus person is pretty much a must tho in some cases such has not been identified. To go for the traditional finish, I’d pick an early-teen-age, undergoing-puberty girl, say 13 to 14 years of age as the focus. Might be even tempted to make her slightly retarded, attention deficient or something of broadly the sort, and/or have a strained or nonexistent relationship with her father for a bit of a Freudian slip.
That’s about all I have time for right now, I may come back to the subject once I’ve had a chance to re-read Tikkala’s book :cheers:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Animavore » Apr 21, 2010 9:02 am

1. Male.
2. 31
3. Irish
4/5. 5
6. No
7. Considering the fools will lap up anything and the sceptics will find me out I don't think it matters too much what I write as long as it involves things moving on their own, scary noises at night, demonic child, acts of lunacy, soiling of pants and a creepy old person of some sort.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 21, 2010 9:09 am

1. What is your gender?
Male

Born in UK - stayed until early 20's. Lived for a number of years in various European countries. Spent a couple of years living in 'tribal societies' on the fringe of modern civilisation, such as in the south of India. 7 years in Thailand.

3-4. While I am generally familiar with standard paranormal claims of western cultures, I am not well-read in the 'technical literature'. On the other hand, I have far more experience with non-Western/non-Modern cultures' paranormal claims than most others in my society do.

Is this a trick question? See above! :grin:

No

Noises from unidentifiable source.
Manipulation of objects - i.e. rattling of pictures.
Electrical interference - lights dimming/growing brighter
Smells or other sensory phenomena
Feeling of a presence, including actual touching/hitting etc.
A particular person, a focus of the supposed haunting.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Launion » Jun 04, 2010 2:58 am

male
australia

No

six items:-
1.A Religiously indoctrinated
Character
2.Old house
3. Brainless Young girls
4 .- 30something women
5.- Evil old man/RC priest
Failure is never a fatal and success is never a final.-- then Heaven help us - said the parachutist to the BASE jumper-
groucho says "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBERr "
Launion

Name: simon bert

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural