Astral Travel

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Astral Travel

#1  Postby Adco » Mar 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Personal experience.

A while ago I bought a book called "Astral Travelling For Beginners". One night, while alone at home, lying in my bed, I tried it out. My wife was out visiting friends.

I went through the preparations of focusing etc. and I must have dozed off. My wife had left her house keys at home so when she returned later, she phoned me off her cell-phone so I could let her in. In my "sleep" state, I heard the phone ring, got up to answer it. Now I could see myself getting up to answer the phone.(This is the confusing part) The phone then really rang and I really got up and answered it! It was as if I was watching a movie preview of myself and then the real movie played. An exact repeat.

I wondered about the experience and mentioned it to my wife. We went to sleep. Later on in the night, my wife got up to go to the loo. She says she saw herself get up and walk to the bathroom and then she really got up and really walked to the bathroom. Same sort of experience I had gone through earlier. A preview of the movie and then the real movie. It was quiet unnerving at the time but we left at that.

The next day I developed a feeling of deathly dread. I don't suffer from depressions etc. but if I could imagine what it could feel like, this was it. It felt like the world was closing in on me. There was a feeling of darkness and gloom. I find it hard to describe because it felt unnatural and deadly, almost suicidal.

With a lot of mental reasoning and self-calming, I managed to shrug off these terrible moods/feelings. I asked a guru friend about it and he said that there are "lost or bad" souls out "there" waiting for opportunities or openings to appear and then "they" slip in and take over.

This sounds crazy but it happened. I would like to hear possible explanations from you guys/girls out there as to what happened to me. I am reasonably sane, rational and I can think but I can't explain this one.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Astral Travel

#2  Postby virphen » Mar 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Are you sure that the phone wasn't ringing before you had your sleepy hearing the phone ring experience? When you're woken from a deep sleep by a sound like that your brain can easily get confused... I can semi-recall similar dozy states with an alarm going off.

If your mrs was asleep and feeling the effects of a full bladder, what's unreasonable in supposing that her subconscious in a dream state would manifest itself by representing an activity she must have done thousands of times?

As to the dread... there are too many potential explanations for it... the most likely sounding to me merely being that something in your environment triggered off a hormonal reaction in the brain.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby iamthereforeithink » Mar 26, 2010 4:59 pm

My advice- Get rid of that book as soon as possible. Sell it at half-price at the local bookstore.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Adco » Mar 26, 2010 5:06 pm

virphen wrote:Are you sure that the phone wasn't ringing before you had your sleepy hearing the phone ring experience? When you're woken from a deep sleep by a sound like that your brain can easily get confused... I can semi-recall similar dozy states with an alarm going off.

If your mrs was asleep and feeling the effects of a full bladder, what's unreasonable in supposing that her subconscious in a dream state would manifest itself by representing an activity she must have done thousands of times?

As to the dread... there are too many potential explanations for it... the most likely sounding to me merely being that something in your environment triggered off a hormonal reaction in the brain.

I would like to agree with your reply. What makes it difficult to accept that it was dreams states or hormonal reactions is that I went through it personally and it felt very real. It's not as if it is an urben legend and it's coming from my second cousins neighbours bosse's father-in-law.

I have no proof of anything. It doesn't make sense. Can there be a realm out "there" that can be invoked? Is there something out there that we don't know about? Most probably not but still interesting to talk about.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5  Postby chairman bill » Mar 26, 2010 5:14 pm

I'd suggest similar explanation as for deja vu experiences - think in terms of waking, consciousness 'catching up' & your brain processing the same thought twice. You then experience what seems to be a memory of having already thought of doing something you are now doing. The experience unfolds with a sense of 'this has happened before', rather than being predictive of what is going to happen.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Adco » Mar 26, 2010 5:32 pm

chairman bill wrote:I'd suggest similar explanation as for deja vu experiences - think in terms of waking, consciousness 'catching up' & your brain processing the same thought twice. You then experience what seems to be a memory of having already thought of doing something you are now doing. The experience unfolds with a sense of 'this has happened before', rather than being predictive of what is going to happen.

I've had feelings of deja vu before and it wasn't even close. Strangely, I couldn't predict what was going to happen and I didn't feel that I had been there before. It was very real. Like I was in the Matrix.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby King David » Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm

I have dreamt that I had to pee and got up to go to the bathroom, only to wake up to realize that I still had to pee and I hadn't gone to the bathroom. I have also been sleeping and dreamt that I woke up, then I woke up from that dream, then I woke up from that one. This happened four times until I actually woke up(or did I? haha) It was like a dream within a dream within a dream. These occurrences usually happened late in sleep, early in the morning. I have also had sleep paralysis, where my mind becomes conscious and awake while my body is still paralyzed from sleep, which is a strange and unnerving experience. These things are all well known to sleep science. Sometimes I have strange dreams which leave me feeling psychologically drained and only what i can describe as a grayness of mood or mild depression the next morning. None of this makes me think of anything supernatural. I think the brain's ability to categorize experiences temporally is impeded by sleep. Most of my dreams don't really have any temporal coherence or central story, they just jump around and don't really make sense. Often when I'm in a state between sleep and wakefulness, I don't know whether I did something or just dreamt it, things just don't make much sense. Sometimes I experience deja vu. It is only after I fully wake that I can try to make sense of things. In your case it is possible that in your altered state your brain miscategorized the answering the phone. A case of deja vu. As to your dread, if it is anything like my weird moods after some dreams, it has to do with the existential confusion one experiences during strange dreams or psychological occurrences. Wondering if your preconception of reality is breaking down. A lingering "weirdness" carried over from the dream. That is infinitely more likely than that "lost souls" nonsense.
Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer. -Humphry Davy
King David

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby james1v » Mar 26, 2010 5:41 pm

A friend of mine described almost the same experience as your missus had....

He was asleep, saw himself get up and go to the toilet and get back in bed.

Unfortunately, the real he, did not do these actions. He woke up and realised he had pissed bed...Its called alcohol, too much of! :drunk:

:lol:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Adco » Mar 26, 2010 5:43 pm

james1v wrote:A friend of mine described almost the same experience as your missus had....

He was asleep, saw himself get up and go to the toilet and get back in bed.

Unfortunately, the real he, did not do these actions. He woke up and realised he had pissed bed...Its called alcohol, too much of! :drunk:

:lol:

Sounds messy. I wish it had been alcohol or even drugs but I was sober at the time.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ironclad » Mar 26, 2010 5:46 pm

I did something very similar many many years ago, followed instructions on OOBE and lucid dreaming. Most odd.
At the time the woo was very real but what actually happened is anyone's guess, prepared dream - real - wishful thinking.. who knows.
I posted one experience on The Webby That Shall Not Be Named (jk) and I was shot down in flames, but I was just describing the event, not peddling snake oil haha.
The brain, marvellous organ eh. Tricksy?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#11  Postby jparada » Mar 27, 2010 12:21 am

I should be noted too that when you are asleep/on trance, your sense of time is altered, so that actions you interpret as happening in a reasonably long time might be passing through your head at the wink of an eye. This happens as well in situations of maximum stress and is related to the shutdown fo your rational thinking processes, which gets your brain accelerated as hell. So is possible you dream yourself waking up and going to the bathroom almost at the same instant you actually wake up and go.
jparada

Colombia (co)
Print view this post

#12  Postby GenesForLife » Mar 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Yup, the above has happened to me.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Alan C » Mar 29, 2010 10:05 am

jparada wrote:I should be noted too that when you are asleep/on trance, your sense of time is altered, so that actions you interpret as happening in a reasonably long time might be passing through your head at the wink of an eye. This happens as well in situations of maximum stress and is related to the shutdown fo your rational thinking processes, which gets your brain accelerated as hell. So is possible you dream yourself waking up and going to the bathroom almost at the same instant you actually wake up and go.

I've heard about this, situations where personal safety is threatened, brain goes into overdrive whereby it seems time is altered.
And yes, I've often had the 'dream I go to pee - wake up and need to pee' thing a few times.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mr P » Mar 30, 2010 8:29 am

Weird sleep experiencies you say, I've got'em by the bucket load.

As a kid I used to sleep walk whenever there was any sort of stressful situation going on in the family, these are probably the most surreal experiences I've had. There is a partial breakdown in your perception of reality as the dream and reality merge, couple that with the altered perception of time mentioned earlier and your subjective experiences while in this semi-conscious state would give Escher a migraine.

Sleep paralysis is just as bizarre and can lead to some frightening nightmares if you don't know what's going on. This seems to have replaced the sleep walking as I grew older as it only occurs during stressful periods of my life and, just as with sleep walking, leaves events twisted and turned in my order of perception.

The percieved time slip could be a result of the link between our working memory and long term memory being bypassed by a mere slip of a neuron, something trivial that can have confusing consequencies such as reversing our "specious present". This term describes our subjective experience of the present and has been found to run anything up to 10 seconds, this means events within that time frame can become confused if there is a misfiring link between our short and long term memory processing centers.

The despair you felt afterwards is a common feeling I've had after one of these episodes and (in my experience at least) is a result of either the underlying stress which caused the episode or the genuine frustration (or fear in my early experiences) at losing control during these dreams. It's this loss of control that would cause the additional anguish associated with sleep paralysis, especially when I had the "waking up" dream; you know the one, you wake up and realise it was a dream... then you wake up and realise THAT was a dream etc.

The best advice I can give in my strictly non-medical capacity is to ignore this "lost souls" business as it's neither informative or of any practical use but rather learn to recognise what's happening. In our semi or sub-conscious state our perceptions can be affected by events outside in the "waking" world which are then not subject to the usual temporal screening out brains use to sort events into their correct chronological order. That specious present I mentioned earlier can become twisted so that we remember hearing the ringing phone (saved straight to long term memory) prior to our initial subjective experience of it (short term processing).
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Adco » Mar 30, 2010 10:40 am

Mr P wrote:The best advice I can give in my strictly non-medical capacity is to ignore this "lost souls" business as it's neither informative or of any practical use but rather learn to recognise what's happening. In our semi or sub-conscious state our perceptions can be affected by events outside in the "waking" world which are then not subject to the usual temporal screening out brains use to sort events into their correct chronological order. That specious present I mentioned earlier can become twisted so that we remember hearing the ringing phone (saved straight to long term memory) prior to our initial subjective experience of it (short term processing).

Amazing what the mind is capable of seeing and believing. At the time, I was convinced that there were "others" out there trying to get me. If I wasn't able to think clearly, I could have allowed myself to be drawn into something.

A few posters have mentioned similar dream state experiences followed by depression. It would be interesting to see the link between this type of dream state and the depression feeling that follows. Has it been diagnosed or studied?
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mr P » Mar 30, 2010 11:30 am

Adco wrote:
Amazing what the mind is capable of seeing and believing. At the time, I was convinced that there were "others" out there trying to get me. If I wasn't able to think clearly, I could have allowed myself to be drawn into something.

A few posters have mentioned similar dream state experiences followed by depression. It would be interesting to see the link between this type of dream state and the depression feeling that follows. Has it been diagnosed or studied?

The mood swing (I think depression is too strong a term) on waking could be caused by any number of factors such as quality or length of sleep, the nature of the dream or even down to the fact that you were trying to meditate and fell asleep instead, you could have just been disapointed with yourself for not succeeding. Certainly the "others" factor you mention won't help as this operates on fear of the unknown rather than trying to understand what's going on in your dream state.

I have to admit I'm only basing this on personal opinion so I can't quote any studies on this, however the book How The Mind Works by Steven Pinker gives an excellent description of the underlying mechanics of the brain if you're after more info.
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Adco » Mar 30, 2010 11:56 am

@Mr P - Just really wanted to share the experience and see what others had to say. I was a bit surprised to see others with similar experiences. Not that I thought I was unique, just never crossed my mind that these things happen all the time.

If I get a chance I'll look for the book but I don't want to pursue it too much. I think I found enough of an answer from all the above posts to satisfy my curiosity. Fortunately, I've gotten over the whole ordeal relatively unscathed and I being new to this forum, I've never really had outsiders to talk to about what happened. This was a perfect platform to ask from. Lots of skeptical minds asking/telling the appropriate questions/answers get the thinking fluids churning.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Mr P » Mar 30, 2010 12:11 pm

Adco wrote:@Mr P - Just really wanted to share the experience and see what others had to say. I was a bit surprised to see others with similar experiences. Not that I thought I was unique, just never crossed my mind that these things happen all the time.

If I get a chance I'll look for the book but I don't want to pursue it too much. I think I found enough of an answer from all the above posts to satisfy my curiosity. Fortunately, I've gotten over the whole ordeal relatively unscathed and I being new to this forum, I've never really had outsiders to talk to about what happened. This was a perfect platform to ask from. Lots of skeptical minds asking/telling the appropriate questions/answers get the thinking fluids churning.

:thumbup:
Sweet dreams.
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Your brain is perfectly capable of manufacturing an experience indistinguishable from reality, as you now know.

I, for one, wouldn't bother asking a guru anything beyond the time of day, and I'd doubt his answer then. But it is particularly useless to ask a woo peddler about things that cannot be empirically tested anyway. It's asking the woo merchant about woo. An exercise in futility.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Adco » Mar 30, 2010 2:48 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Your brain is perfectly capable of manufacturing an experience indistinguishable from reality, as you now know.

I, for one, wouldn't bother asking a guru anything beyond the time of day, and I'd doubt his answer then. But it is particularly useless to ask a woo peddler about things that cannot be empirically tested anyway. It's asking the woo merchant about woo. An exercise in futility.

I must say that the answer was quiet thorough and convincing at the time. All is well now.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural