Auras

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Auras

#21  Postby Animavore » Apr 10, 2010 6:06 pm

iamthereforeithink wrote::(

Am I the only one who's not psychic here? I keep seeing a green apple with a pink leaf while I'm staring at it, but see only a blank piece of paper when I look away.

You have to be the seventh son of a seventh son Image
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Agrippina » Apr 10, 2010 6:26 pm

Mike_L wrote:I think that the explanation for "seeing auras" might be a simple matter of seeing an afterimage. The lens of the eye casts an image on the retina. If one stares fixedly at any stationary object, the retina's visual pigments (rhodopsin and iodopsin) are temporarily depleted in a pattern corresponding to that of the image.

Stare at this image for about a minute, then look away at a white wall or piece of paper. You will see an afterimage, but with the hues inverted (such that the apple is seen in its proper colours).

APPLRV.JPG

"Seeing an aura" requires the psychic to stare at the subject person for some time. As the "psychic's" gaze drifts a little he/she sees a simple afterimage that is interpreted in his/her credulous mind as an "aura".

If I stare at the apple on the screen for long enough I see a pink "aura" around it and then looking up at the wall, I see nothing.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Scarlett » Apr 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Your friend needs a doctor and a life and a tactful friend to tell him this or he's going to go through life making a tit of himself ;)
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby virphen » Apr 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Animavore wrote:
I got it checked and it was gallstones.

A modnote go down the wrong way?
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby LIFE » May 02, 2010 12:24 am

Auras? Kirlian photography!

Kirlian made controversial claims that the image he was studying might be compared with the human aura. An experiment advanced as evidence of energy fields generated by living entities involves taking Kirlian contact photographs of a picked leaf at set periods, its gradual withering being said to correspond with a decline in the strength of the aura.

LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#26  Postby wunksta » May 02, 2010 12:27 am

if they arent bullshitting, i would say that its a form of synesthesia and the "aura" is a projection of the viewer onto the person being viewed
The night is dark and full of terrors...
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Agrippina » May 02, 2010 3:59 am

wunksta wrote:if they arent bullshitting, i would say that its a form of synesthesia and the "aura" is a projection of the viewer onto the person being viewed

\

Or he needs new glasses.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Dracena » May 31, 2010 4:24 am

I suppose it is possible that humans could "see" the warmth emanating from objects as colors, however to go from that to claim those colors can say anything about a persons personality, health ( except fever) or anything else is just silly.
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#29  Postby twistor59 » May 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Animavore wrote:A friend of mine who's into kung-fu and chi asked me if science can explain auras and then when I had no answer proceeded to bash me with the "science can't explain everything" canard.

Great vid !

Tell your kung fu/chi friend how science can explain the fact that he will get his head smashed in if he enters an MMA competition.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural